Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Minimising ankle bruising in Ski Boots

Poster: A snowHead
I bought my boots a number of years back after having rented the same model for a week and getting on very well with them.

All 5 times I have used the new boots after a day or so i develop various bruises on my ankles and im wondering what can be done to prevent these? They are painful for the rest of my trip and at times are unbareable

I'm guessing the rental boot was very worn in which is why after a week my feet were in better condition than my own ones since. Thats the only explanation i can think of. annoyingly the rental shop wouldnt let me buy that pair at the time

I have tried putting padding around the bruised area once they develop to take the pressure off but this is hit and miss and i would like to prevent or minimize them if at all possible.

I did have them heat moulded initially at the shop i bought them in. Would it be worth doing this again?

Any advice appreciated
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get boots that fit properly.....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have been prescribed some orthotic insoles which i wear daily for pronating. Should i have these within my ski boot?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
francium. wrote:

All well and good but that doesnt explain why the same exact model of boots (Hired in Colorado) didn't have these problems. Perhaps my UK bought boots are slightly larger causing the vibrations ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
charltonfan1 wrote:
I have been prescribed some orthotic insoles which i wear daily for pronating. Should i have these within my ski boot?

A search has provided me some answers to this one:

http://www.snowheads.co.uk/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=81824
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
charltonfan1 wrote:
....Any advice appreciated

Here ya go:
francium. wrote:
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
charltonfan1 wrote:
francium. wrote:

All well and good but that doesnt explain why the same exact model of boots (Hired in Colorado) didn't have these problems. Perhaps my UK bought boots are slightly larger causing the vibrations ?

Boots of the same size and model aren't necessarily identical. Even my left and right boots aren't mirror-image identical.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
True, am wondering if inserted gel pads from Day 1 will improve the fit and reduce vibrations?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Vibrations??? Are you skiing or sitting on the washing machine... Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
charltonfan1 wrote:
True, am wondering if inserted gel pads from Day 1 will improve the fit and reduce vibrations?

Or here's a radical idea... get some boots that fit properly!

Go and see a respected boot fitter - plenty of recommendations on this site.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
charltonfan1 wrote:

Trying to bodge probably won't solve the problem and almost certainly won't help your skiing. You mentioned you used orthotics so would probably at least benefit from a good quality custom footbed, your should probably get yourself along to a decent bootfitter. They will be able to tell you whether your boots are fixable or just need replacing with some that fit.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@charltonfan1, did you buy them in the uk and do they come with the usual 'fitting guarantee?'
Snow and rubbish or ellis and bin'em?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@charltonfan1, seriously, go get some boots that fit, yours don't fit your feet. You need not have to suffer with bruised ankles! Padding, gel inserts won't solve the issue, they may mask it for one trip but it will be hindering your skiing IMHO.

Whereabouts do you live and we can try to recommend where to go, a decent boot fitter will tell you fairly quickly if your current boots are the issue or not.

Most of the good boot fitters will require that you make an appointment.

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all. I get the message!

I live in SE London and work in central london. I have limited time before my ski trip next thurs
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@charltonfan1, Try Profeet in SW6
snow report
Where did you buy them from @charltonfan1? If they're half reputable they should be able to tweak the fit and sort some custom foot beds for you. Failing that take them along to another shop like Profeet for a full assessment. You'll almost certainly need to book a fitting though so give them a call first before heading down.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 17-02-17 17:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@charltonfan1, if you can't get fitted up before you leave, it might be worth hiring boots when you go on your trip and avoid wearing your current bruisers. When you do go for a proper fitting and are trying on new boots, take with you the ski socks you normally wear. Once you've narrowed down boot choices, try them on and stand in them for at least 10 minutes and then ask your feet how they're feeling.
snow report
They were bought years ago and i can't remember where. After buying them i tested them for the first time a couple of years later. I had rushed to buy them upon return from the US while that model was still on sale.

I just thought they would get more comfortable over time which in hindsight was an error.
ski holidays
Worth a session at profeet before you go - they might be able to blow the shells around your ankles to give you more space and avoid the bruising - even if it's just a temporary measure to get you through this trip and then you can look at getting some properly fitted boots in plenty of time for your next trip. This isn't always the best time of year to buy boots - stocks running low in some sizes in some models... although you might get lucky!
snow conditions
A good boot fitter is worth his/her weight in gold and now days there is no reason why anyone should ski with uncomfortable boots. However, leaving the problem till a few days before you go skiing probably ain't the best way to go about things.
ski holidays
ankle bruising can be caused by many things, remember you put these dam things on for 1 or 2 weeks a year and your foot has to get used to them...

big mistake is often to slacken them if they feel a bit sore, this causes the foot to move around and makes the problem worse
you mentioned orthotics for excessive pronation , if you excessively pronate then you should have some form of insole in your boot as your foot is rolling with every turn
shell check... take out the liners and put your foot in the empty shell, toes tickling the front see how much space there is behind your heal... recreational fit 15-20mm in an ideal world, but some feet need a little more so up to 25mm is ok for them, if there is more thna that 25mm then they are probably too big and you will never get them right whatever you spend on them

if the size is good and the foot is well supported yet you still get some issues it is possibel to stretch the shell to create space, or pad the liner around the area to redistribute pressure
snow report
For the first time ever, in well worn well fitting boots, this trip I've had some horrible pain at the front of my inside ankle bones. Absolutely excruciating and enough to stop me pressuring the inside edges.

It seems to be due to the alignment of the side of the liner and the tongue, but I'm not sure. There's a tiny overlap between them, and maybe if they aren't perfectly aligned that's what is causing the pressure & pain. Taking them off and putting them back on again seems to help...
snow conditions
I have quite pronated ankles and my first two pairs of boots caused a lot of inner ankle pain
my last pair of off the shelf Salomon integrale 8.2 lasted me 20years but still caused some ankle pain and top of foot pain, when they fell apart last year, I bought some Salomon xpro100s custom fit at Ellis Brigham at Castlford xcape. The shells were put in an oven and the fitter padded out my feet at the pressure points before putting the boots on whilst hot then the ice packs went on to freeze the boot to the shape of my foot. I also had custom foot beds made. Result = snuggest, comfiest boots that I have had with no painful pressure points after 5 weeks skiing this year so far
ski holidays
I have orthotics in my shoes, and a pair in my ski boots. If you pronate, then without decent footbeds or your orthotics, your foot will roll inwards, and the inner ankle bone may well rub on the shell and get bruised. Plus with your orthotics, your feet will be aligned better so you will ski better!
latest report
mini shock can do this, gel insoles are your best bet.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy