Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dry slope racing - any tips?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

I just tried my first dry slope slalom session. It was wicked. I was bad at it.

So, anyone got any transitioning advice (I'm pretty competent, done 5 seasons and instructed for four years, a failed CSIA3), or racing on dry slope in general advice?

How do I size SL skis too? I read somewhere that the max size is 165cm for men, I'm 6'4 and 200lbs ish.

Ta,
Dave
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DaveC, There are no length restrictions on skis for dry slope racing, you can use whatever you want.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sweet. What length do I want then? Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to the world of dry slope racing. Almost all men race on 155s. The women tend to race shorter and the kids very short.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DaveC, You will also need a set of these.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Buy padding! "lots of it" don't set your sights too high at first....your initial "scalp" age range should be limited to around the 7-9 year old mark.. wink Toofy Grin. Have fun!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DaveC, 155 Élan SLX WC give Keith a ring at North Kent Racing. All the courses are measured for 155, unless you are very strong 165 are not competitive. You will fall in straddles so armour is suggested for shoulders, back, hips and knees, a good helmet with face bar and leg guards are essential. Ask what others use wax wise and get used to the straightest route down is the fastest. Good luck it is addictive
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi,

I've just started dry slope racing too- first session back in August (Suffolk Vikings- very friendly club if anybody is interested in coming). As you say, absolutely awesome fun, wish I'd taken it up years ago.

This is what I've learned so far:

Yes, 155cm skis for men. I got some from Sport Conrad in Germany, they have some really good deals on racing skis out of season.
Pole hand guards are a really good idea, otherwise your knuckles get rapped 100+ times per session. Gets a bit tedious.
A chin guard is also a good early buy- one smack in the face persuaded me about that.
Everybody seems to wear shin guards, but to be honest I haven't found the poles hitting my knees particularly painful yet (maybe says a lot about the speed I'm going at!). So I think they'll be lower priority for me at the moment.
For wax, I've been using Datawax Carbon for dry slopes (available online if you do a Google search). You need a very hard wax, and to keep your edges sharp. I wax every second session, and don't even bother to scrape it off, as recommended on other posting on this forum. Seems to work well.
Looking at progress so far, I think it will be relatively straightforward to get within 10-15% of the best times, but that last 10-15% improvement will take a huge effort. But it's massive fun, so I'm not too bothered.

Enjoy yourself!
Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DaveC, As you are in Bristol them come up to Gloucester next Saturday (13th). That's the last of this year's Gloucester Summer Race League races and you'll see some great racing (especially as guest racers, i.e. those normally too good, are allowed). It may even inspire you to join one of the many teams that compete every month over the summer and become a committed (mad!) dry slope racer.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Update. Shin protectors are a good idea. My knees are killing me!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
With practice, you could ski like some of these guys who went to the Irish champs a couple of weeks ago

http://youtube.com/v/qkPKuFz6HIU
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On that video - why in the parallel slalom did the skiers in the (skiers') right lane start long before the left? Is it some sort of handicap system?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It looks like a relay - the first skiers started simultaneously and when each finished, a marshall waved a flag to start the next.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Philbo, Ooh, nice, some very tidy skiing in that vid.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaveC, at your size anticipate a few injuries.... fingers and thumbs mainly, very hard to hold an edge on plastic if your 200 lbs.
latest report
evski, I should hope so! Those skiers are some of the top artificial slope skiers in the UK/Ireland.

There is lots more on racing on youtube if you look around: e.g.

http://youtube.com/v/bM87lfbcIUc (dual slalom from the recent All England championships held at Norwich).
latest report
RobW, evski, Yep - good stuff, I was there that weekend. The winner (mens) came down in around 12.5 secs (17 gates) - just to put it in context the first of our club league races start this Sunday and competent intermediate skiers who have done a race or 2 would struggle to complete this (Irish Open) course in much under 30secs and most would ski out by gate 4/5.
It's a real eye opener to watch the top racers in action. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
RobW, Nice, looks like the Norwich slope?

DaveC, and I should put some videos on here every few months so you guys can tell us if we're improving.

skimottaret, there seems to be a trend at our club towards people using ice hockey gloves! Probably not a bad idea.
snow report
If you come to Gliucester on a Wednesday afternoon there's lots of students trying their luck on the race course Neh Neh
snow report
evski, not a bad idea... i tried boxing gloves and it was at that point that I stopped altogether as the whole concept of having to ski head to toe in body armour and boxing gloves seemed too weird...
latest report
skimottaret, lol! It was you!? There was a lad who used to wear boxing gloves, looked soo funny! Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
skimottaret, first thing I did was put a hand down and catch my thumb :/

RibenaRockstar, I came down with UWE a couple of weeks ago to prompt this post!
snow report
DaveC, I did warn you ... Hope its okay, I fell twice and both times did thumbs, the stuff is lethal
snow conditions
briand6868,
Quote:

intermediate skiers who have done a race or 2 would struggle to complete this (Irish Open) course in much under 30secs and most would ski out by gate 4/5

You talking about your fine self there sir!!!

See you in the start hut on Sun Morning!
ski holidays
skimottaret, tbh think I was quite lucky not to do worse! I managed to fall down the stairs in a hungover state and revive old knee problems so didn't get to ski this Weds, will report back on how gripping carpet at bigger edge angles at my weight goes this week...
ski holidays
Dry slope advice

1: don't press too hard on your outside ski it wont grip

2: apply minimum 2 litres of mr sheen, wire puller or furniture polish (or whatever kids are using now) to skis before 13 second run

3: jump up and down, scream and shout in the start gate.

4. Buy terrifying cool T-shirt old english champs "Getting drastic on plastic" should suffice

5. buy your own sharpening and waxing kit, you will use it a LOT! electric kit is great but will reduce ski life by 90%

6. travel in as straight a line as possible and attempt to stamp on as many of the gates as possible, if unsure on this one ask Philbo, he will demonstrate

7. apply duck tape to ALL clothing and equipment

8. Accept that if you are over the age of 16 you will be in a VERY small minority

9. NEVER agree to do a "GS" at Hillend... it will hurt you
snow conditions
dulcamara wrote:
Dry slope advice

9. NEVER agree to do a "GS" at Hillend... it will hurt you

Aha my home slope is hillend Very Happy
latest report
5 years 3 months, thread not quite dead yet...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
😂👌👌
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy