Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern - any good?

Poster: A snowHead
I like the look of Obertauern for next year and wonder if anyone can recommend it or suggest elsewhere and this is our wishlist. We (2 adults and two kids) like proper cruisy blues, not bothered about chocolate box town attractiveness or apres ski, not stupid lift queues, not many bloody drag lifts, ski in/out, snow sure as poss, things to do in the town, short transfer, plentiful apartments (as opposed to hotels) not massively expensive (we are in Norway at the moment which is brilliant, but I'm fed up of paying £6.50 for a coffee, £4.50 for a loaf of bread and £20 for fish and chips). Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's great. Runs mainly mellow. And fairly short but French standards
Queues rare .. only drag lifts are on the learner slopes ..
Most hotels if not slope side , are a short stroll from access .
Transfer a shade over an hour from Salzburg. Mainly motorway ..
Beer and food reasonable.. hotels , I've never managed to find a bad one .
Accomadation can be expensive. Give me a guess on budget and I'll reccomend a few .
And tell you which end of town you want to be at..
Things to do in town not much.. usual snow showing etc can be arranged at most hotels

Alternative back down in the valley for ski armade. Awesome bigger cheaper but a lot more spread out and involves getting coaches Loads of experts on that area on here
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yup, if you have a car get the Super Salzburg pass as it includes Obertauern along with the Dachstein area and many others, the Ski Amade pass is slightly cheaper but only has the central 45 odd resorts. Obertauern is a great resort, there is a fair bit of nightlife around, has some lovely views of the Dachstein peaks too. Above the tree line so not quite as good in low vis.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@CANV CANVINGTON, what does this mean?
Quote:
French standards

The vertical drop isn't huge at Obertauern but the 2 circular routes are very cruisy and enjoyable.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I enjoyed Obertuern and stopped in an hotel ( Petersbuhel) where you could ski from the front door and on return I managed to actually ski into the hotel ..if your kids are young they have a little pretend train that comes and pick them up for the ski lessons..The skiing is , as said above, not that demanding but enjoyable and you can ski round the are either way so there is variety. It is also pretty snow sure .
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great resort to ski!
One of the resorts we used when the kids were learning to ski. Easy slope access, genuinely good snow recort, sensible prices, accomodation is good quality. Ski area is good size for a week or so, easy to navigate, also other resorts covered on super salzburg pass. As mentioned the vertical isn't massive, but the terrain options make up for it, and it does mean that you can get back to the village at lunchtime with ease should you wish. The town is a little quiet vs the big resorts, but depend what you want to do.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I loved Obertauern when I had a day there a week or 2 ago.

Ideal if you are just after a place to cruise snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
flangesax wrote:
@CANV CANVINGTON, what does this mean?
Quote:
French standards

The vertical drop isn't huge at Obertauern but the 2 circular routes are very cruisy and enjoyable.

Most runs are fairly short and if your travelling at a fair clip you will be at the next chair quickly. Suits me my legs need the break..!
As opposed to French resorts where you cable car up and have much longer runs to choose from.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DaveD, I've stayed in the petersbuhel. You skied down that road from the bottom of gamsleten 1, impressive and base shattering
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great stuff, thanks everyone. All sounds very positive. I would put priority on ski in/out than nightlife. Being able to stroll to a couple of restaurants would be great though just for something to do in the evenings. We need a two bedroomed apartment with single beds in the second room. Of concern is that all the rooms seem to show 2 x double beds, but there's no way our 16 yo daughter will share a bed with her 12 yo brother! A little pool would be great. Budget probably about £1500ish-£2000 p/w depending on it's suitability. If food and drink prices not wild, that would offset the accommodation cost.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bambionskiis, I'm sure most hotels will set up two single beds if you get two hotel rooms.
Half board in most isn't much more than B and B .. I've stayed in loads I'll knock you a list up tomorrow sometime
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great, Hadn't thought of that Canv - it would be worth me asking. Some recommendations when you have time would be brilliant thanks.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm going next week .. I'll see how that goes re a new hotel and get back to you.
Seriously you will love the place with wife and kids.
And if you can dump the kids you will love the apres.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes (OP's question). Short runs, short lifts, high and snowy. Watch for traffic on crossing runs and not much to do but ski, but that's why you're there right?! Eat dinner in the Almrausch on Monte Flu, ski Gamsleiten II and end at least one night in the Lürzeralm. Recommended, if you can't tell.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I went around 2001 and stayed at the Hotel Marietta, which I'd recommend. The skiing is much as described above, but I was there later on in the season and had warm slushy conditions...but there was plenty of snow. Back then, little English was spoken, but I'm sure that has greatly improved over the years.
latest report
Thanks for that Canv; much appreciated. Afte the week we've had with our kids, dumping them anywhere is appealing! I'll watch for traffic huttohut. I was nearly totalled earlier on a black I was trying to cross (as the green I was in just stopped). I had stopped to check all clear but hadn't spotted two snowboarders hurtling down - close call. Thanks for the other recommendations. Ref
English OF, I hope so because I don't fancy relying on my kids' German to get us through. Funny but I was
Chatting with a Swedish lady earlier and she remarked on how many English there are here this year (Trysil) and I'm not sure if it's because Crystal are here for the first time.
snow report
@bambionskiis, The Edelweisse Hutte (part of the Lürzer chain up there) also does some amazing food, and the best Goulashsuppe I have ever had, and yes, the Lürzeralm HAS to be done, get there about 3 though, it gets pretty busy!

Enjoy the skiing, there should hopefully be a little top up of fresh somewhere in the next couple of days Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Mountain Dorf a small area about 15 mins by free bus is also included on the pass
We have skied In Obertauren a number of times and will likely be back again sometime in the future but not next winter. Sad
Going elsewhere Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Thanks all. Really liking the variety it seems to provide.
latest report
We were in Obertauern the third week in January, stayed at the Petersbuhel hotel, which was great,very friendly staff and excellent food.
You can ski out if there is snow on the small road outside the entrance , its about 70mtr down passed the Enzian hotel to piste 14a, ski in is from the other direction as @CANV CANVINGTON said from the bottom of the Gamsleiten 1. Obertauern has a very good website , where you can check the weather and look at the webcams, it also has an excellent interactive piste map.http://www.obertauern.com/en.html .We caught the ski bus one day to Mauterndorf as the visibility in Obertauern was bad due to low cloud, Smaller area but some nice easy skiing.
snow conditions
Fab, thanks for that. I don't suppose you know if there is an ice rink and swimming there do you? We enjoyed our skiing this year but there wasn't anything to do but ski so we got a bit bored. Neither is mentioned in the website you've suggested but I thought I'd ask.
snow report
There may be an ice rink but they are normally done by February.
Many of the hotels have pools so do a bit of research first.
There is an amazing pool down the valley in Altenmarkt (about 25 min drive).
ski holidays
Cheers flangesax. Just had a look at that pool - that looks awesome.
ski holidays
We have been to Obertauern a few times. I am a nervous intermediate skiier and have no problems on most runs but the runs are quite short. Hardly any lift queues apart from one 2-men chairlift. Quite a few ski-in ski-out hotels. We stayed at the Enzian which is a ski-in skin-out (depending on which room you are in as they have two boot rooms and one is closer to the slope than the other).
snow conditions
Hotel Tyrol. (Opposite the petersbuhel which as mentioned is great ) is a bit cheaper. B and B only
Awesome views super clean and a good breakfast. Thumbs up from me.
Apartments , I've only ever stayed in Hausa Isabella. That was good as well
Riegle royal has a pool kids will love. Indoors and you can go,through sliding doors to outdoors
But that's a level up in price
look on the website. See what you like the look of and the prices.
Some of mates have stayed in a few different ones so loads of reports for you @bambionskiis,
snow report
Great, thanks Canv. Riegle Royal looks really nice - need to do the sums though lol. Not sure what's going on with Austrian hotels/apartments all seeming to do only double beds. I've looked closely at many pictures and they clearly don't separate, so that's restricting things a bit. Even two bed apartments show the same thing My 13 yo lad definitely won't share a bed with his nearly 16 yo sister. Anyway, I digress; there's bound to be something suitable. The skiing obviously is the most important. Providing there are some nice easy blues, I'm happy.
snow report
@bambionskiis, that'll be an 'Austrian twin' bed, very common. Two mattresses and bed linen on one frame. 4* hotels are usually more accomodating Very Happy with supplying separate beds. We stayed at the Enzian and had three singles.
snow conditions
Very cruiser orientated and not very big but amazing partying and the listed empty around 230pm!
Check out the other resorts which are included in the weekly ski pass for the lunches if nothing else...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm arriving in Obertauern tomorrow at 2pm if all goes to plan with flights and transfer.
Does a 6 day pass purchased for Sunday onwards allow use of the lifts for the last hour or so on Saturday?
snow report
HTL wrote:
Very cruiser orientated and not very big but amazing partying and the listed empty around 230pm!
Check out the other resorts which are included in the weekly ski pass for the lunches if nothing else...

Like the sound of that, cheers
snow report
Had a day in Obertauern earlier this week. Very enjoyable. Good snow, nice lunch at the Kring Alm and then some rather lively apres with a tasty kebab thrown in for good measure! I'm considering staying there next year - with a hire car we'll also have access for a day trip or two to Turracher Hohe or Katschberg for some variety.
snow report
@Jenniper, Did you see The Beatles bar?
snow report
I don't think so - where is that? Something is ringing a bell though...
ski holidays
In the Krings Alm.
The owners taught the Beatles how to ski for the film Help!
So they have a themed bar with lot of bits and bobs and memorabilia.
ski holidays
Haha no way - how did I miss that!?
latest report
@Jenniper, beer probably. The seekerhaus , which is the big hotel up there is full of Beatles stuff as well
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy