Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I have to like reds? I'm so slowwww...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Zayna99, go for it mate, however you can also ski blues fast, as well as slow, and its the same for reds, no need to go haring down them, you can still ski slowly on a red.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sack the Juggler wrote:
@Zayna99, go for it mate, however you can also ski blues fast, as well as slow, and its the same for reds, no need to go haring down them, you can still ski slowly on a red.

This. I'm a total chicken, have never dared to venture off a blue run, but have just got back from skiing and with three private lessons and a good instructor learned to ski (after a fashion) slowly down a red. I'd always assumed you have to look like the good skiers going down, but have realised that being safe and in control is the blueprint. It helped that we had a hotel balcony overlooking the bottom of a red, we spent time just watching how different people came down - some fast, some slow, occasionally some backwards... wink I'd still stick to blues without an instructor for now, but the lessons were crucial and really helped!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ElzP wrote:
I'd always assumed you have to look like the good skiers going down

If that was true, then there would be hardly anyone on the piste!
Seriously, 90%+ of people going down red runs are not really good skiers and their speed is definitely not the best criteria to judge them on. An awful lot of poor intermediate skiers go pretty fast either because they can't really control their speed or simply because of peer pressure - think typical bunch of young blokes who ski one week a year and think they are the fastest on the planet. Good skiers who can ski both fast and in complete control of both their speed and direction are actually quite rare on an average red piste.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Biology plays a big part.

Generalizing a little - Estrogen is very likely to make you take a much more cautious approach; where Testosterone does the exact opposite.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
uktrailmonster wrote:
ElzP wrote:

Seriously, 90%+ of people going down red runs are not really good skiers and their speed is definitely not the best criteria to judge them on. An awful lot of poor intermediate skiers go pretty fast either because they can't really control their speed or simply because of peer pressure - think typical bunch of young blokes who ski one week a year and think they are the fastest on the planet. Good skiers who can ski both fast and in complete control of both their speed and direction are actually quite rare on an average red piste.

You're right of course - but as a newer skier EVERYONE looks better than me (in my head anyway!)

I've decided that my ski aim is elegant rather than fast. I'd rather be in control and look like I am. Saw quite a lot of the terrifying red run skiers this trip (including one who nearly took our instructor out, that went down well...)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ElzP wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:
ElzP wrote:

You're right of course - but as a newer skier EVERYONE looks better than me (in my head anyway!)

I've decided that my ski aim is elegant rather than fast. I'd rather be in control and look like I am. Saw quite a lot of the terrifying red run skiers this trip (including one who nearly took our instructor out, that went down well...)

Don't over-estimate how good everyone else actually is. You are doing the right thing and you will naturally ski a little faster as your technique improves. Expert skiers ski at ALL speeds depending on both their mood and prevailing conditions. Intermediate skiers will often ski fast on moderate groomed terrain, often barely in control of their trajectory, but will slow down to a crawl on anything properly steep or covered in moguls. For that reason alone, often steeper un-groomed terrain is actually a safer place to be if you can handle it. The groomed red and blue runs are unfortunately like motorways with traffic that often has erratic steering and not much in the way of brakes! You really do have to keep your eyes peeled all the time.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy