Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I have to like reds? I'm so slowwww...

Poster: A snowHead
I'll be honest. I don't like going fast and I don't like steep runs.

Is that terrible? I've had lessons and I will be having them every time I go skiing but I really just like cruising along nicely, not scushing along at breakneck speed.

I'm like that in all things. I went go karting and I was the Sunday driver at the back. I can ride horses and in fact I'm qualified to do it, but I'd rather have a gently hack round the countryside than a gallop along the beach.

Please don't tell me I shouldn't be skiing, I love it, I just don't want to go fast. I like the scenery and the company and the feel of sliding down a hill... Confused
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
and your issue is??

You enjoy skiing slowly so, enjoy skiing slowly!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never do what you don't want to do skiing -it doesn't end well. Accept that it may mean you may need to not do things all together in a social group where people have different wants and risk levels.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zayna99 wrote:
Please don't tell me I shouldn't be skiing, I love it

Who would do that? It's your life, your holiday and your activity! The world would be a boring place if we all did the same thing...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The more you ski, you will find that you get a little faster without even noticing. Similar to driving, as your skill improves you find yourself going a bit faster, you never have to ski at speeds beyond your taste, just do what suits you. I am interested in what you mean by qualified to ride horses,.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My wife says much the same Smile

Enjoy yourself Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Zayna99, Do what makes you happy. My Sister hasn't really changed her skiing in 30 years, she skis slowly but in total control on Blue, Red or Black pistes.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Zayna99, I wish more people on the mountains didn't like going fast. Keep doing what you enjoy.
Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd say you "have" to ski reds *if* you want to get to most places around a big resort - say a good restaurant that the rest of the gang wants to meet up at; or just to access nice, uncrowded blues in a different part of the resort. No reason at all to take them fast though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skiing slowly, but well, is hard.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'll say the same thing I said on another thread. There's often very little difference between blue and red pistes, I generally can't tell unless I spot a piste marker. All pistes are white.

Having said that, enjoying skiing at your own speed and in your own comfort zone is no bad thing at all. It's supposed to be a holiday, not a challenge.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi@Zayna99
Going slow makes the moment last longer.
So enjoy and saver every turn and carve.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I agree with sentiments above and would add on a recent trip a participant in my group lesson was pushed beyond where they wanted to ski and ended in them being injured. Don't be bullied into pressing on because it's in instructors lesson plan or similar.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No you don't have to like reds... but just because you don't like to go fast doesn't mean you have to hate them either. Ski how and where you enjoy and don't let anyone tell you it's the wrong way. However, perfecting speed control on steeper slopes will allow you to see more and access places you can't get to just on blue runs.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I find that riding horses and skiing are very similar. You always end up going just a bit faster than you might want to. Eventually, you get comfortable with that, and go a bit faster still. If you'require qualified to ride, I assume that means showjumping and cross-country too? I always think that skiing is even better fun than xc - but that's a tough call!
ski holidays
Zayna99 wrote:
I'll be honest. I don't like going fast and I don't like steep runs.

Is that terrible? I've had lessons and I will be having them every time I go skiing but I really just like cruising along nicely, not scushing along at breakneck speed.

I'm like that in all things. I went go karting and I was the Sunday driver at the back. I can ride horses and in fact I'm qualified to do it, but I'd rather have a gently hack round the countryside than a gallop along the beach.

Please don't tell me I shouldn't be skiing, I love it, I just don't want to go fast. I like the scenery and the company and the feel of sliding down a hill... Confused

And? My wife is exactly the same. She is a superb skier, used to race and compete in moguls, perfect technique.

She's lost the taste for speed completely (I have not). And she skis extremely well, away from everyone else.

People often mistake going slow for lack of ability: in fact that skier you see going slowly down the edge of the piste, in perfect control, staying away from everyone else is often the best skier you will see on that piste. A couple of years ago, in Avoriaz, It was an utter joy to see her ski with one of my (overconfident, advanced intermediate) friends, who teased her for being slow and not as good as me. He then watched her (from the overhead lift) ski the Swiss Wall at exactly the same pace she had skiied the pistes that morning: i.e. faster than anyone else on that steep mogul run, in perfect control. I was some way behind her, and looking nothing like as elegant. Most of the group took the lift down.

He was man enough to eat his words, letting her and the group know that not only was she better than her husband, but than anyone else he had seen to date.

Nothing wrong with taking it easy. Nothing wrong at all. Skiing is to be enjoyed. And going too fast (usually blokes, in my observation) often masks some serious deficiencies in technique anyway.
snow report
Thank you all so very much. Just reading these replies has boosted my confidence so much.

"I am interested in what you mean by qualified to ride horses".... I'm an instructor, passed my British Horse Society exams. Quite a few years ago but I still ride.
snow report
Pynch wrote:
Skiing slowly, but well, is hard.

+1 .... Nail this and the rest will follow
latest report
you sound like my kind of skier, i"m nice and slow but also relaxed, but i enjoy myself, last year i was in a guided group in france and as we know that is not allowed so the company will remain anonymous, and i was always last in the group of 10, the guide remarked that i was the most relaxed skier he had ever seen, he said my style looks like i"m sat in an armchair, and he expects me to come skiing around the corner with a cup of tea in one hand, but it works for me, the only problem with being last in the group is you get less rest, cos as soon as you catch up their off again.
latest report
"the only problem with being last in the group is you get less rest, cos as soon as you catch up their off again. "

Ain't that the truth. Last year we covered 26 miles on a lovely long day, from Les Arcs 2000, across to - well, I can't remember but we went on the Vanoise Express... I was knackered at the end of it, and that's because I was dawdling along at the back and everyone else had had a little rest. They all knew I was a bit slower and didn't make me feel awkward, they were very encouraging and said I should go at my own speed, they didn't mind waiting for me. Embarassed
latest report
@Zayna99, that would have been La Plagne! quite a trip if you're not used to skiing hard. This year we skied Courchevel to Val T and back, 30 miles covered on ski tracks not including lifts. I was knackered at the end of the day.........i'm 53 you know! rolling eyes
ski holidays
I'm 56 this year! Laughing And I only learned to ski at all when I was 53 so I try not to be too hard on myself. I just like blue runs, a nice gentle glide with lovely scenery and a beer at the end of it. I don't like steep and I don't like fast. There is the odd time when I can hear my first instructor's voice saying 'let it run...' and I take my foot off the brake so to speak, but it's not often. NehNeh
snow report
@Zayna99, Just enjoy...I've seen too many people skiing like the clappers today, with no style and little control.
snow report
@Swissie, +1, i'll take style and control over speed any day.@Zayna99, we all seem to be in agreement, it's all about enjoyment. for me a skiing holiday is: one third skiing, one third just being in the mountains and one third apres/a good lunch with great friends Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
geoff10 wrote:
I find that riding horses and skiing are very similar.

Skiing is a lot safer and doesn't mash your testicles to a pulp. Apart from that you're spot on.
snow conditions
I haven't got any of those, lol Laughing
snow report
@Zayna99, hi from a fellow slow skier. I get overtaken by almost everyone - even by someone doing full-on snowplough turns on a red run during my recent holiday! But, like you, I love skiing. And I also hear ghostly past instructors' voices saying 'let the skis run' Laughing

I am happy with some steeper runs, as long as they're wide and not too bumpy/busy (I'm rubbish with narrow runs unless they're flattish). But I'll never get bored of meandering down a nice, wide, gentle run, enjoying the views as I go. We must get more time to appreciate the scenery than some people! Smile
snow conditions
@Zayna99, neither has he now he's ridden a horse! Laughing dangerous, horses, bite at one end and kick at the other!

@catclaires, but eventually it gets dark Shocked skiing just a little faster is actually easier.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zayna i could have written your post. I'm in Norway at the moment and have been trying to challenge myself but basically I just don't like the feeling of going fast as I don't feel in control. I hate that good old mum is always last by a country mile and that they have to wait for me. I also always get lost. I forget runs as soon as I've skii'd them so then panic. I've just said to my husband that I feel as though I'm at a crossroads with skiing. They are getting faster as a group and increasingly I'm in my own and it's getting me down. T bars freak me out too which doesn't help. It's driving him mad that I'm even considering giving up as technically he reckons I'm "superb", I never fall over and apparently I make
Skiing look effortless. To me I look fat old and every bit of my 50 years. Just not sure what to do. We've done easy runs today and I don't know if it's been too easy and I've had too much time to overanalyse maybe. Will look at the conditions and may do some trickier runs tomorrow and see how that goes. Stay strong.
snow conditions
@bambionskiis, it isn't uncommon - a friend of mine could have written the bit in your post about control. She's v. determined and has made huge progress through lessons - particularly ones about turn shape, speed control and doing a decent hockey stop.
ski holidays
@bambionskiis, @Zayna99, we are our own worst critics. Although it's easier said than done, stop beating yourselves up and enjoy what you're doing at the speed that makes you happy. Also remember "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it" - Ferris Bueller's words of wisdom definitely apply to skiing.
snow report
Reds are a pain.

They are not flat enough to relax, nor steep enough to excite.

And they get packed with cr*p skiers who panic or ski faster than their skills allow.
ski holidays
Whitegold, we were all learners once - even you! Your comment above is not worthy on a thread where someone has been brave enough to admit to a very real fear/concern. I know that to them it is as I have been there myself. You should be ashamed of yourself. To the OP and other nervous skier I would recommend paying <£10 and getting an audio MP3 file for nervous skiers (They come up easily on a Google search). Find a set of comfy headphones and go to sleep for several nights listening to it. Ski lessons undoubtedly are vital, but I was amazed at how a few sessions with a <£10 MP3 file as I went to sleep straightened out my mind.
latest report
More Whitegold wisdom 🤡

I often wonder

if he isn't a sock for an otherwise serious and sensible

contributor
snow conditions
@gazzaredcruiser, or, to give it the full Oscar Wilde, "Dangerous at both ends and uncomfortable in the middle" NehNeh Laughing
snow report
@Whitegold, you could be a bit more gracious!
snow conditions
Thanks for the words skidipidity, and others really helpful and for the tip about MP3 isnowhead, I'll look into it.
latest report
@Gordyjh, Laughing Laughing
latest report
I ski anything on piste but at my speed. I have had many lessons at trying to speed up, but have been told each time that there is no problem with my skiing, l am safe. I can stop when it is needed. How many can say that? And l do enjoy the view.......
ski holidays
@bambionskiis, oh dear, you seem to have real confidence issues.
Quote:
I hate that good old mum is always last by a country mile and that they have to wait for me.

Do you always ski with your other half and kids? What about having group ski lessons next holiday to give you some confidence and a chance for you to have to wait for someone else for a change!
Quote:
I also always get lost. I forget runs as soon as I've skii'd them so then panic.

That's me! However, if you're on piste and not in a complete white-out the worse thing that can happen is that you end up in the wrong place and have to get a taxi home. Oh, and some serious earache from the OH Laughing . Anyway, it's easier now with mobiles. Just ring him and tell him to come and get you/tell you exactly where to go to meet up. Also, that it was his fault for losing you Twisted Evil . I once went on holiday with a friend who was as hopeless as me at directions. We'd just ski until lunchtime then get out a piste map in the restaurant, ask where we where and the best way to get home. Then write it down so we wouldn't forget Laughing . But now there are apps for that too.
Quote:
T bars freak me out too which doesn't help.

Me too. Go to a nice Austrian resort with chairlifts with heated seats. T bars are avoidable nowadays.
Quote:
To me I look fat old and every bit of my 50 years.

OK, I'm not fat but I'm quite a bit older than you - and so are many, many snowHeads. And a lot of them are, ahem, not what you'd call thin. But they are, in general, reasonably fit. Are you? Do you exercise? You may not be fat at all, or look old. That may be a confidence issue too? You need to take a deep breath and look at yourself and your life. If you can feel better about yourself you'll feel better about everything. It's not just the skiing.

I'm a mum of four. Believe me. You can lose yourself if you're not careful. (And not just on the mountain.)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy