Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine to Avoriaz Help....

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Just booked a ski break to Morzine at the start of April, I am taking 7 beginners and lessons are in Avoriaz, We are staying on the Route d Avoriaz road in a private chalet. I have just started to look at the lift system to get to Avoriaz from Morzine and it makes out it is impossible to get to Avoriaz without skiing at some point which for a beginner is going to be a nightmare for me and them on the first day. Does anyone know is there either a bus all the way to Avoriaz? or any way for a non skier to get to the bottom of the Avoriaz slopes without skiing. My friends are having lessons with evolution 2 ski and we have to meet them outside there offices.

Please Help?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is a large cable car from Morzine to Avoriaz. Think it is Prodains. Buses will run from Morzine to the lift regularly but there is no bus up to Avoriaz
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@liam6913, the " large cable car" has been replaced by a gondola. It is then walkable to the Evo2 offices. Suggest you do some research on best routes. It's (gulp) 25 years since I did much walking around Avoriaz.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ps I have no idea at all where you got the idea that you had to ski Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Free bus in Morzine to the gondola.

Unless they have moved the top of the gondola higher than the top of old cable car it is uphill to the ski school.

But the last time I was there there were free sleds you can use to carry skis. Better still there were horse drawn sleds which you could book in advance at a cost.

https://www.avorinet.com/activities/companies/horse-drawn-sleigh-ride
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I cannot believe a sled is a better way to transport skis than carrying them correctly on your shoulder Puzzled
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, do they have to be mutually exclusive? You could hold them correctly on your shoulder while someone pulls you along on a sled. That sounds much better.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi @liam6913,
That sounds very like the first time I took wife & kids skiing, two years ago. Morzine was all muddy pasture, but snow was fine in Avoriaz so I arranged lessons there. We were staying towards the edge of Morzine, on the road to the Prodains bubble. Easy, I thought. Ho hum.

The Prodains bubble is fine, all very straight forward. The fun started when we got up to Avoriaz, where there are two chairlifts: and ancient three-seater non-detachable chair from right by the Prodains lift which came out a short ski above the ESF meeting place, or a nice detachable quad chair (Tour, I think) which is a short ski down from the top of the Prodains and which came out above the top of the town. Neither was a great prospect for my family of complete novices. After a couple of disastrous mornings, where we utterly failed to make ski school and instead ended up in piles of arms and legs, I phoned ahead for a horse and sleigh to meet wife and kids at the top of the Prodains!

After another day or two it was no longer an issue, but I'd recommend the sleigh option.

That said, I've no idea where Evo2 meet up. If right by Prodains, then no problem!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@liam6913, how far up Route d'Avoriaz are you?

I suspect reality is you'll be having to drive to the lift everyday in which case you may as well bite the bullet and drive up to Avoriaz to one of the free car parks and then hop on the bus for the last km as opposed to drive down to Prodians, pay for the car park, get the cable car and still potentially have issues getting from thete to the ski school meet point.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why don't you just give the ski school a ring? I bet this is a problem they have come across many times before and will sort you out and give you the best advice! Not entirely sure where the offices of Evo2 are, but very quick Google suggests they're only a couple of minutes walk from top station on Prodains lift...

And very easy to get the bus from Morzine to Prodains, then straight up the bubble into Avoriaz.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@liam6913,

The challenge is how far up the Route d Avoriaz your private chalet is.

Off the top of my head, I believe the Evo2 guys meet up on the Plateau in Avoriaz. However, some ski schools offer to meet complete beginners at the top of the Prodain express telepherique on the 1st morning, which might be an idea.

Like previously suggested, maybe speak to ski school and see if they can make the meeting point on the first morning an easy one.

For info, there is a ski hire shop at the top of the telepherique in Avoriaz so it might be an idea to hire the ski's and boots up there. Then the guys can travel up to Avoriaz in 'normal' footwear.

See link for Navettes, the Navette that takes you up to the Prodain Express is the 'A' bus and the nerest bus stop to the Route d Avoriaz is the Rond Point des Meuniers

http://medias.morzine-avoriaz.com/documents/documentation/documentation-29NAVETTE-FR.pdf

P.S, your welcome to PM me for more info
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Most beginner lessons are on the plateau.
If your friends cannot ride the chairlift from the top of the Prodains gondola up the Boulevard des skieurs, then plan B would be to cross the piste from the top of the bubble and walk 20 yards up to the right of the Changabang. There is a public lift ( not ski lift, but an elevator) this will take you up to a corridor at the other end of which is the post office. From here it is a 5 minute walk to the middle of the village, from where there is a slow double drag lift up to the plateau.
Otherwise, the first day drive to the big car park at the entrance to the resort, and the Plateau is just over the road from the underground car park, or 5 mins walk from the outdoor carpark.
Or you get get a pony and trap on day 1 to get up to the plateau from the top of the Prodains gondola.
Once your friends can ride either the chair or the drags then just you're all set.
Best option would be to learn to ride a drag lift at a dry slope or snow-dome before you go then you can use the one in the middle of the village.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi All,

Thanks for all your help. I wanted to take the Super Morzine bubble as appose to Prodains bus and Prodains express lift as we are nearer the Super Morzine Bubble. At the top of the Bubble its then the Zore Chairlift. The problem arises when you get to the top of that as the piste maps I have looked at indicate there is a green ski run down to Seraussix which then goes to the Proclou lift to Aovriaz centre
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@WindOfChange has it right.

After getting the bus from Morzine to Prodains, and 'pedestrianing' the new Prodains express gondola and 'pedestrianing' the intra-apartment elevator system, you can 'pedestrian' to the bottom of the Jardin des Enfants (kiddie beginner area) where the two drag lifts are, which can take you up as skiers (if you already have lift passes) to the meeting point for lessons. If you need lift passes, then walk to the lift pass office in Avoriaz centre (half way up the drag lift), and then walk further up to the lesson meeting point (or preferably, ski back down to get a drag). If you don't have lift passes cos Evolution are sorting that out as part of the lesson package, and you can't face a drag, then it's a longish walk, or a horse drawn sleigh ride away.

But yes, 'twould be good to at least get to grips with a drag lift aforehand (tho beginner snowboarders often find this to be a major challenge).

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 13-02-17 0:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@liam6913, The route up from Super Morzine is very nice, usually quite tranquil, and suitable for beginner skiers comfortable on green runs.

The trickiest bit is the final descent from the chair dismount above the lesson meeting point, where it can be very crowded, and this verges on a blue run.
latest report
crosbie wrote:
After getting the bus from Morzine to Prodains,

Depending on where the Chalet is on Route d'AVoriaz that'll be the hard part, the bus goes as close as Route Des Putheys, the 1st hairpin is 1km (#1037), so to "get the bus" that's a 2km walk each day, hence my suggestion to drive up to the Avoriaz free car park and remove all issues!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 13-02-17 10:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@marcellus, good point, I was confusing rte d'Avoriaz with rte des Ardoisieres which goes to Prodains.

@liam6913, absolute beginners or have they skied before - absolute beginners will not make it across Super Morzine in time for lessons in the morning (possibly not even the afternoon)...
ski holidays
@marcellus, using an 8 seater MPV is a good option (given vehicle & driver equipped for snow). But then, if I was taking 7 beginners on a ski chalet holiday with ski lessons in Avoriaz, I would have booked Chalet Poudreuse, from which you can crawl to the lesson meeting point, let alone walk.

Talking of buses. If ever getting the bus from Ardent to Morzine , DO push the stop button just before the long pedestrian bridge - it's far easier walking across that than from where the bus next stops (in a bus park, 100m below Morzine centre).
latest report
Super Morzine is not so-able for complete beginners. You could probably book a taxi to shuttle you or just get the bus down to Prodains and go from there. It's pretty easy and I'm sure EVO2 meets at the area to the right of the Gondola exit in Avoriaz.
snow conditions
liam6913 wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks for all your help. I wanted to take the Super Morzine bubble as appose to Prodains bus and Prodains express lift as we are nearer the Super Morzine Bubble. At the top of the Bubble its then the Zore Chairlift. The problem arises when you get to the top of that as the piste maps I have looked at indicate there is a green ski run down to Seraussix which then goes to the Proclou lift to Aovriaz centre

That's the way you do it. The green is pretty straightforward down to Proclou. If you are going to the Avoriaz village then there will be a challenge at the top of Proclou as the blue that goes towards the village will look steep for beginners but it's only the first 200m (I accept that's a lifetime when you can only plough). I'd agree, though, that for complete beginners it'll look pretty intimidating. It might be easier to try and get transport.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy