Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Numbness in foot after first ski trip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead

Hi folks.... just looking for some answers as to why the top of my right foot, just along the outer edge, has been numb since day 2 of my very first ski trip last week in Austria. Having heard how awful ski boots are I was surprised to find mine didn't really give me any trouble, apart from my very first day on skis when, after an hour or so, I felt an incredible ache in my right foot.... the sort of ache you really can't put up with for anything. At the earliest opportunity the fastenings were adjusted - I thought to let a bit more blood circulate - and the aching more or less went. It was only the next evening when I got into bed when I thought I had a bit of tissue or something stuck to the side of my foot as I couldn't feel the bed sheets that I realised a strip along the side of my foot felt like the dentist had anaesthetised it! It's been the same ever since. If I run my finger over he small bony bit an inch down from my ankle bone, there's a feeling in a line down to the base of my little toe, not pain, just a feeling. I'm hoping this is all associated with my skiing trip and the boots and will soon pass but any ideas or shared experiences would be reassuring! I don't remember hurting myself at all badly, but I did fall over quite a lot towards the end of my first day and I did feel like my knees and shins got twisted about a bit before I threw in the towel that day!

I did carry on with my skiing and haven't suffered any further, no problems with mobility, just this funny little bit of numbness which doesn't seem in a hurry to go away!

Many thanks

Miranda
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had exactly this after my first trip. It actually went off but I think it took about six months! Maybe a bit of nerve damage ? (Only a uneducated guess), but as I say, it did go away of its own accord.
I subsequently had the boots blown out a bit because they were tight, and never had the same problem, so maybe just some pressure where your foot didn't like it.
And ski boots are only awful if they don't fit properly Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you.... they were rented boots but from a friend's shop who I have every faith in; and they were fine after that first adjustment, so yeah, bit of nerve damage makes senses, just didn't realise it would take so long to get better. Luckily it's not really bothering me at all Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Even the best rental shop on the planet will be a compromise, you probably got the best boots for your foot they had in their rental stocks but almost certainly didn't get the best boot for your feet full stop.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davkt wrote:
Even the best rental shop on the planet will be a compromise, you probably got the best boots for your foot they had in their rental stocks but almost certainly didn't get the best boot for your feet full stop.

If Heineken rented boots..... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sympathies, been there, felt (or not Smile )it, yes very likely to be boot related (or sock or something to do with foot shape or size in relation to boot in relation to ski issues).
Usually goes away of its own accord eventually. Until next time...
Welcome to the wonderful world of ski boot fitting! snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
HAve had the same problem with top of my right foot since trip to Schladming a month ago. Have been having problems with Salomon boots I bought about 4 years ago in Ellis Brigham.Tightened them so much to stop movement that I damaged a nerve.Went to profeet in Fulham today for a new pair and fitter said that Salomons are narrow and don't have a lot of room above the foot and they should have known this. Apparently it can take months to clear up.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Prolonged pressure can cause numbness through lack of blood flow to the nerves... The lowest buckles of your boots (over the top of your foot) should only be lightly done up, doing them tightly could pinch enough for this to be an issue - being too narrow that could also be the culprit.

'Nerve damage' is a too permanent sounding a label in my view for the issue, it should clear up over time. I went snorkelling in glacier water (0 or below in parts) and couldn't feel the backs of my hands properly for nearly a month...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy