Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboard packs for off piste

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone in the off piste section of the forum stand sideways?

I'm after recommendations and thoughts from snowboarders on rucksacks – both air bag and non-air bag variety.

I'm looking to carry more kit – including shovel/pole when I'm riding and venturing off piste in both un-guided (with friends) in side country or with a guide in the side country/back country.

At the moment I cram most things into pockets and hope I don’t break them/my ribs if I fall on them.

I used to have a Ortovox Freerider 26 (non ABS) but found although it was comfortable it gave me the side on profile of a barn door. While I recognise us boarders have to have bags on back that will impact on balance more so than a skier I'm hoping there’s something out there that perhaps still gives some level of compact streamline integration rather than looking like I deliver for Deliveroo.

Normally I carry in my pockets:
Board lock x2
Board Tool
Cereal Bar/s
Sun cream
Beanie
Shades
pistemap
Buff

On occasion I’ll add water, hip flask and perhaps spare mid layer (down gillet), USB power pack, glove liners if I do use a bag of some sorts. My riding is usually lift serviced, all day, some small walks to access to good stuff but not yet adopted split boards or the need to carry skins/poles and or axes. I usually travel in Europe and fly and occasionally make a trip to Canada.

I'm open to air bags given I'm hoping to do more of this stuff and believe in reducing risks but not ruled out just buying a good bag that fits well. With the ease of internet shopping the choices are almost limitless but there’s little opportunity to try before you by with the lack of local or even regional shops about. (Based in Sheffield)

I've looked at options from the Arctryx and Black Diamond – like the idea of batteries and no cartridges and option to practice deployment without having to refill. I've heard there are still issues with flying with these. I believe the Black Diamond also comes with shovel and probe so only the transceiver to purchase.

I like the look of the Mamutt Range – snowpulse system in 22l

The Scott Air Force 12l and 24l (small/cheap disposable cartridges)

I've considered buying a ABS Vario base unit and zipping the different covers on, Burton do an AK 22l one.

It would be great to hear from any boarders who've used/have these bags and hear some feedback?

And before anyone comments about training, yes I have received transceiver and avalanche training in the past and yes I intend to attend more/undertake refreshers courses.

Cheers and stay safe out there!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well this is technically the slimmest backcountry/offpiste pack. You sometimes see ski patrollers skiing with them

http://www.campsaver.com/life-link-slingblade
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use a slim O'Neill backpack which I've had for around 10 years. Can carry probe, shovel (although I will be honest I rarely do) and enough snacks and spares for a day. The biggest priority for me, and would be if I was looking again is the ability to attach my board for when a scramble over or along a ridge is required to access terrain.

I, like you, wanted as slim as possible so it would effect minimally on my riding. I've just had a quick look about and the closest thing I could find to mine, and what Id be lookng for is something like this...

https://www.surfdome.com/evoc_backpacks_-_evoc_slope_snow_pack_-_black-154887

You may be looking for more capacity but you asked what others use and that's pretty much what I get away with!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@0xley, The Dakine packs are pretty slim either the Heli Pack or Heli Pro.

I have a Pieps Freerider which can be as flat as your contents allow, due to excellent compression straps:

http://www.pieps.com/en/product/pieps-freerider
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dave of the Marmottes, Most on duty Ski Patrollers I've seen carry 30ltr plus sized packs with enough equipment to deal with anything, that device (it can't be called a pack) looks more like something carried by a Skimo racer to tick the shovel/probe box.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The ABS Vario comes with a flat cover (i.e. can be used with no bag). This can fit probe, shovel and a spare layer but as the zip opens from the bottom is not always the easiest to get things in and out of. However in this configuration it is very low profile.

Or how about this?
http://www.campsaver.com/dakine-bc-vest-pack
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a Dakine Pro II, which is more than I need but so well made. That said, I wear this when riding with my missus and she loads me up with tons of stuff that we don't need. If I'm not carrying her stuff, the side straps flatten the bag down to almost nothing. Light, strong comfy, Dakine gold standard.

My airbag is an Ortovox Ascent 22. Light, really comfortable, well designed/made and plenty of room for everything I would carry for lift served off piste.

Both are as good as it gets, IMHO.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, although I don't walk for my turns.

The most important thing is to get something you like riding with. Quite how you work that out is up to you of course.

Dakine are universally good. Some bags I can't get on with. The big "photo" Dakine bags are very big and can be very heavy. Although guides may not pay for their stuff, there's no standard pack even for large companies, because it's a personal choice.

I've used ABS bags but not this last season or two and they were big. If you use one and it has a harness you'd probably find it worth fastening it.

I normally ride with the smallest pack I can get away with, but for just what you want for a day, you shouldn't really notice the pack. Even guide-sized (30L) shouldn't affect your riding assuming you're in balance wink

I've ridden with people using the "Life-Link Slingblade" and similar systems but back packs keep your back warm, have somewhere to fasten the board when walking, and are handy to sit on for lunch, so they're not for me.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the comments everyone

I was aware and had ruled out the vest type packs/air bags as I don't want to mess up layering system and temperature control by adding something above my shell jacket. Might be fien for cat/heli/snow mobile drops but different if walking/riding/using lifts all day

I have seen the slings in use, mainly by lifties rather than patrollers or freestyle rats going to build kickers. Again I'd ruled it out as I thought if I'm carrying something on my back then I might as well empty my pockets. I'll take on board the EVOC and Dekine options and also note these also do zip on options for the ABS Base units.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't carry tools or similar 'hard' objects, including a metal hip flask, in you pockets ........ a mobile and maybe a discrete lock at most.

Otherwise pick the smallest decent pack you can get shovel/probe/sundries in. Assuming you don't 'live' in the mountains, if you think you need ABS, not that there's anything wrong with 'em, you probably need a guide more.

JMO
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Check the options for board carry on whatever pack you go for - I prefer vertical board carry. Less likely to be pulled off balance when hiking with it.
A mesh helmet stash is useful too.

A backpack with straps you can use to 'pull in' the front of the backpack towards your back are good if you haven't filled the backpack - will being the weight closer in so less noticeable.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The smallest volume pack from Ortovox is the Powder Rider 16 ltr.
It is slimline and will have enough room for the bits you mention.
No options for snowboard attachment though.
Alternatively try a bum bag / fanny pack !?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy