Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bodensee in Summer

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking at getting summer holiday sorted. Last summer we did a road trip to Mayrhofen and Zell, with a couple of nights in Lermoos to allow us to go to Area 47. It was one of the best summer holidays we have had in years, but conscious that pretty much every holiday for the last few years has been in Austria. Anyway, on the way to Lermoos from Reims, we stopped off at Uberlingen on Bodensee for some lunch. Was a really nice spot and got me to thinking that Bodensee could be a good place to spend at least 10 days in the summer - we will drive from Scotland.
Would ideally like somewhere with a bit of life about it, has the option to do some cycling and water skiing.
Will be going with 2 of our kids - ages 13 and 17.
Any ideas of towns that would be a good base to explore the area?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bodensee is lovely but very traffic heavy.

A nice area is Bad Hindelang and Oberjoch further east along the Deutsche alpenstrasse. Plenty of outdoor activities on offer as well as day trips to say Bodensee.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends what you like doing really. I tend to end up using Bregenz as a base, and then either go hiking or MTBing up in to the hills straight from the town centre, or jump in the car and visit places like Liechtenstein. All 4 countries are easily accessible.
I think the lake is very very deep, and therefore quite cold, so some watersports may not be so popular. Sailing is big though.
Zeppelin museum in Friedrichshafen has been on my to do list for a long time.
Also has the bonus of being a mix of flat rhine valley as well as mountains, so attracts all kinds of cyclists.
My plan is to go there again, but explore a bit more in to the Bregenzerwald with the mountain bike.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

My plan is to go there again, but explore a bit more in to the Bregenzerwald with the mountain bike.

@andy, yep, that's us too this summer, awesome place
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the help folks. Did not realise the See would be cold - the Zellersee was 23 degrees in summer and absolutely lovely. Whilst I would love to do plenty of mountain biking, this is not my wife's bag at all, so gentle cycles along the lake would be our limit most likely. Would be good to go canyoning, which we did in Mayrhofen and loved. Also noted that Europa Park not too far away so would be good to go there/somewhere similar
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I can definitely recommend the area for summer breaks. As people said above, the "ideal" base depends exactly what you want, but if a small city is OK then I quite like Konstanz (studenty feel, plenty of bars/restaurants, quick to get out to other places by train/boat). It's a bit cheaper than Bregenz (which I would also recommend) or some of the more "resort"-like places in Germany. It's also a big centre if you're into sailing. There are plenty of flattish cycle paths anywhere in the area around the lake, and the Bregenzerwald is good for MTB.

Getting around the area is really easy by train, so there's no need to buy the motorway vignettes for AT or CH. You will probably get a local rail pass if you stay in a hotel in the area, but if not, there are some very cheap group tickets on Deutsche Bahn (look for Schönes-Wochenende Tickets or the Baden-Württemberg Ticket on www.bahn.de).

Friedrichshafen is not as picturesque but is a nice town with the excellent Zeppelin museum, and it's worth popping into Lindau.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@boabski, Get yourself across to Arlberg, there's so much to do there, St Anton in summer is awesome, great walks and swimming/ lakes etc, and festivals etc. We base ourselves there and drive around, so much to see in an hours drive max. Great for kids too, lots of outdoor activities, climbing/ tree go-ape type stuff etc.

I'd personally avoid Bodensee, too busy (and expensive for me in summer), chilling in the mountains is much more appealing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A few ideas here.

http://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions-/bregenz-a-v-breg.htm
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are plenty of places to visit around the Bodensee shoreline (including destinations in Germany, Switzerland and Austria) and most can be reached on the fantastic lake steamers by means of voyages lasting anything from around 30 minutes to around 3 hours. We spent a few days in Konstanz, which makes a good base - it's a reasonable size town with restaurants, choice of accommodation, shops and a good location for the steamers. Bike hire is popular and available in lots of places. For example, we took a boat to the island of Reichenau and explored it on bikes which we hired from the landing station office where they sell boat tickets. We saw lots of people doing the full bike circuit of the Bodensee - there's a dedicated cycle route right around it. From memory it's around a week's ride, but you'd need to check that. The only disadvantage is that it can be wet, even in summer.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@boabski, try cycling round it and camping.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We went there a couple of times 2 years ago:

1. A night on the way out to Austria when we stayed in Lindau. This was a very pretty town for an evening/morning.
2. On the way back we had a night in Bregenz and went to the Opera. Have a google for Bregenz Festspiele. You'd probably have to buy tickets in advance (we did) and it was a fantastic evening. We saw Turandot (famous for Nessun dorma) and the sets, built onto the lake, were stunning. There is also a fab swimming pool place on the lake where we spent an afternoon.

HTH

Rob
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boabski wrote:
Thanks for the help folks. Did not realise the See would be cold - the Zellersee was 23 degrees in summer and absolutely lovely.

The Zeller See heats up because it's relatively shallow at only 60m at it's deepest point. Presumably also why it freezes 'relatively' easily in winter in cold calm weather. My other experience of deeper Alpine lakes in summer have been more of an endurance than a pleasure
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's usually early summer when I'm in Bregenz, so the opera stage/set in the lake is usually being built or just built. You can wander through and check it out at any time when nothing is on. Quite impressive.
Would not want to be there if (when) a storm blows over the lake. Doesn't last long, but you know it when you see it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy