Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski for heavy intermediate

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

This is my first post, I'm struggling to decide which skis to buy and wondered if anyone had any advice?

Me: 190.5 cm, 240 lbs, gym three times and week and tennis three times a week, bit of a spare tyre but fit and strong.

Experience: Around ten weeks in total, plus the occasional day here and there. I would classify myself as a true intermediate/ advanced intermediate. I ski reds with ease, most blacks are fine but really tough blacks I sometimes struggle but manage to get down.

Areas to improve: Moguls, off piste, GS turns on steep and icy runs.

Where I ski - mainly the alps, often on hard groomers when is hasn't snowed.

Type of ski - something that will be good on hard pack groomers. If it had a bit of a front rocker and could go off piste that would be good too.

I want something 180 - 185 which also rules out some that stop at 177.

Some suggested the Nordica NRGY 80, but not sure if that would work for someone of my size. Also been rec the Kastle MX84 but it seems to be more for the true experts?

Any other large skiers had similar problems? What did you go for?

Any advice greatly received.

Cheers,
David
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some suggestions:

Blizzard Quattro (8.0Ti/8.4Ti); Lattigo; Brahma
Volkl RTM 84 UVO
Salomon X Drive 8.8 FS
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Davidcxv, Blizzard Brahma in 187. Job done!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Volkls are generally burly, stiff skis - take a look at some of them.

The RTM is a good shout.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm a bit taller and a bit lighter - 193cm / 210lbs - the head titan although only 177cm was excellent for the type of skiing you're describing.

I say 'was' as I've now sold them due to moving to Australia and wanting something a bit wider and softer for Japan / USA skiing. Rossi Sky 7s @ 188 feel shorter than the titans.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all the replies. The Brahma just seems a little long and wide for someone spending the vast majority of their time on piste? I'm also thinking that at 188 it could be a lot of ski for someone of my level and could hold me back, i'm not an expert skier.

I'm looking at the VOLKL Code UVO in 182 and the VOLKL RTM 81 also in 182, it seems that although a wider ski the RTM has a shorter radius. The RTM has metal the UVO does not. I'm also thinking of the blizzard Quattro range but have no idea which would be best for me, probably the 6.9 or 8.4 ti in 181? I'm also looking at the Scott Black Magic. Someone recommended me the Kastle CPM 82 but frankly I'd just be embarrassed to slide a pair of skis like that into the Gondola without being an out and out expert!

Does anyone have any other ideas or views on those skis I've mentioned?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounds like I'm a similar build to you although a bit shorter and lighter and I've had the Blizzard Bonafide in 180 as a general purpose all mountain ski for a couple of seasons now and it's an amazing ski on piste and in crud/soft bumps etc, a real charger. It's fine in deep snow but a bit too stiff to be a real powder ski and not really wide enough to float a gentleman of substance!

This year, before I went I was actually considering getting something narrower as well (e.g. Latigo or RTM) because I was worried that we'd be limited to just hard, icy piste skiing but time (and budget!) didn't allow for further investment. I needn't have worried, I ski 3 times a season and in my head, before I go, I seem to regret buying an all mountain, wide ski and wish I had the perfect tool for each trip and then every time I get on the snow with the Bonafides they do everything I ask of them extremely well and I have a blast!

Also, for what it's worth, a few years ago I had some Völkl RTM 84s in about 177 and they were the best piste-oriented all mountain skis I'd ever had, really quite remarkable skis - especially for heavy (but fit and strong) blokes. I think they've tinkered around with the widths and don't do the 84 anymore but if you're more piste focused and want to progress, you can't go far wrong with the RTM range.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy