Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to improve my skiing....

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

Long time reader of the forum first time poster.

I've not long returned home from an excellent week in PdS. However I realised late in the week that I want to try and get my skiing improved as I feel like I've plateaued a bit. I've only been skiing properly for the past few years - I'm completely self taught and have never had a lesson.

I think I'm a relatively capable skier when the conditions are good and when the piste isn't overly challenging. However my technique breaks down when things get a bit more difficult. Last week I found the conditions quite tough going as a result of the lack of snow - we regularly encountered icy, bumpy and the occasional slushy piste. I felt I struggled a bit in these conditions which also knocked my confidence a little.

What would everyone recommend that I do? Is the simple answer to go and get a couple of lessons? Is there anything else I can do? Is there anywhere in the UK that would be able to provide some expert guidance or am I best to wait till I'm next abroad?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Which part of the UK are you in and are you willing to travel?

I go to Snozone @ MK, my ex used to go to Cas when he was visiting relatives. We both feel that you can get some good time in but it has to be with the right instructor. No matter what they like you to believe they aren't all experienced or even particularly well qualified. My ex was a lot more experienced than me and said to always question the qualifications as a Snowsport England level one isn't the same as a BASI or even Irish or Canadian level one. You can get some good development coaching sessions at both places but, again, it depends on the instructor. There has been quite a lot of not so good feedback on the sessions recently looking on Trip Advisor, it looks like they're putting (instructor) bums on seats rather than looking to put an experienced instructor on the session and there have been a fair few complaints.

I found that doing a good development coaching session with lots of focused exercises helped when I was in the mountains and certainly helped more than just skiing up and down for an hour.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SF1903, as a self taught skier I found that having lessons this year to be very helpful. It certainly improved my confidence on more challenging slopes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@SF1903, if you are self taught and I was being harsh, I would suggest that you can't ski properly. At all.

I tried self teaching at roller blading (skiing on blades, totally wrong) and skate skiing (cross country) (one of the most painful experiences I have had since trying to self teach snowboarding).

While great skiing probably beats average sex, it's just as well the species survival hasn't had to rely on skiing.

Sorry to say but there are some subtle (ninja? He he he) moves that totally change the outcome and that aren't typically evident from watching anyone else.

That said, I know one entirely self taught skier who became a ski school director (which brings with it responsibility for training) but that was a long time ago, in a political situation far far away.

So, lessons, maybe private, as there will be things to unlearn and things to learn.

InsideOut skiing of this parish are an excellent first point of call.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
100% get lessons, I was virtually self taught for 30 years, huge mistake, it is taking me a long time to undo my major faults...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ Maya

I'm based in Scotland and have OK access to the main ski areas here. However they've been really struggling for snow all year so not sure if I'll get the opportunity. Does anyone have any experience of lessons at any of the resorts here? I believe there's also an indoor place in Glasgow but I'm not sure if it's up to much?

@ under a new name

Laughing Laughing Laughing good post. You're right though - my technique is definitely lacking. Learning in your mid 20s is probably not the best idea. I do like the idea of a private lesson as they will be able to give you direct advice unlike some of the ski schools you see on the slopes.

@ pie man666

I always intend to get lessons when I go away. But when I get there I never want to waste a day of my trip getting one. I think if I went away for a weekend by myself I would be more inclined to get.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@SF1903, braehead is fine for a fridge but has absolutely shocking hire boots. Anything would be better. Clogs, hunter wellies, anything.

Slope ok though.

Or, frankly, Glasgow, Bearsden or Hillend dry slopes...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@SF1903, A few years ago I did something called a carving clinic which the Soldeu ski school run in conjunction with the tour operators. 30 euros for 3 hours in a small group. My instructor on that was excellent and since then I get a few hours of private lessons with her every trip, if you have friends family who are a similar standard you could split it between you but if not just bite the bullet and pay the cost. I now have a couple of two hour lessons a trip. Now I am more at a stage that I need less feedback and I just need to do what I should be doing, so I may do a few 9am one hour lessons just to 'set me up' for the day. My skiing has improved, it's not great by any means but my balance is now pretty good and I cope much better with steep and difficult terrain.
The other thing I would recommend is fitness, my skiing and ability to learn has increased with my increased fitness.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you are going to have lessons here on a dry slope or in a fridge, don't do it between New Year and Feb half term. It's when everyone wants lessons, so every single instructor, young or old, good and bad, gets roped in. Outside the peak times you are much more likely to get a more experienced instructor, more choice of times, possibly even the same instructor for every lesson...!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cairngorm opened today, they do hire/lift pass/ day group lesson for £99. No idea of the quality of instruction, but details on cairngorm mountain dot org
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i find video very helpful , all well and good someone telling you that you are a beginner but until you see it for yourself you refuse to believe it.
Also helps identify what your doing wrong and whats good , go away and practice and video similar run and see if it look better
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you want to guarantee yourself top notch instruction in Scotland you should take a look at http://www.centralskiing.com/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@hawkwind, i also think video good but very much better with good coaching commentary, rather than self analysis...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the advice - will have a proper look at things over the weekend.

Looks like a few lessons will be the best place to start.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi
All the Scottish resorts offer lessons but they have all opened for the first time thus week and cover is not currently good, so you may wish to leave it a while.

If you'd benefit from more than an hour or 2, I would recommend Bulgaria. The cost of tuition is low, as is the cost of living and skiing. If you've never been, Bansko is 2 hour transfer, maybe a bit more but at £500 for a week half board including lessons, it's a bargain and a great way to progress.

Happy skiing. 😃
snow report
@under a new name,
100%
I had some help a few weeks back and it really helped , expensive but worth it.
luckily ive only around 10 weeks on snow so can start all over again and havent totally cemented the bad habits.

Even so , you can upload video to youtube and play it really slow and see what you think yourself.
My form seems way off , seem to be on the inside edges when still/very slow so alignment and boot fitting may be needed.
Also very slight wedge before initiating turn which is annoying me as the inside ski is all over the place trying to catch up.

Also been finding Darren Turners videos excellent on YouTube , can watch them over and over and get so much from them , Warren Smith good too but very heavy with the tech stuff.

Heres a couple ill link for OP and you can find more from there. One starts at the basics but so much to get from it and the other on steeps but takes the focus off carving and more onto edge control but both are focusing on getting the alignment right

http://youtube.com/v/bAsGPnEYzLE&list=PLA893DD2FE6198306

http://youtube.com/v/2QfupdCfr5Y
snow conditions
@SF1903, regular sessions at Braehead or one of the Scottish resorts will make a huge difference, especially if you are self taught. Stuart as linked to centralskiing above would definitely be worth contacting!
ski holidays
geeo wrote:
If you want to guarantee yourself top notch instruction in Scotland you should take a look at http://www.centralskiing.com/

A very good instructor and would be my recommendation up in your neck of the woods
latest report
These guys are brilliant. They do lessons/coaching in snow domes in the UK and you can then go on European holidays with them where you ski with the same instructors and improve whilst on holiday.
http://www.insideoutskiing.com/index.html
snow conditions
SF1903

Give it time. Work at getting and staying in better physical condition - always good that....., improving one's physical condition and if you have access to ice skating......... Become good at that. Ice skating monumentally assists skiing. I've said for years....., if you want to become a better skier, learn to skate.........., skate well..................
snow conditions
@arcsinice, skating is good to enhance dynamic balance and terrific to help xc skate skiing, but IMV not actually super perfect helpful for downhill skiing as some of the actual turn technique is so different.
snow conditions
@arcsinice, time spent in ski lessons would be much more beneficial then time spent in skate lessons imho
snow report
@kitenski, .@under a new name,

I referenced activity OUTSIDE of skiing, OUTSIDE of being on the mountain, a MOST beneficial adjunct to skiing (such as might be available back in Jolly Olde), which, in its most rudimentary form affects outstanding physical conditioning, balance, coordination and, contrary to what most if not all non skaters fail to understand many similar upper and lower body balance, pitch similarities.........

And one can also have a nice warm cocoa afterward just like in skiing.
snow conditions
@arcsinice, and I agreed with you.
snow conditions
Thanks again for the advice.

Will check out some of the instructors that you have advised looking into.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy