Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine

Poster: A snowHead
Hi SH

Last minuteish' booking to Morzine to join up with Friends on the 18th Feb, staying in Morzine. We will be there for 5 days.

So a couple of questions I have.

5 days is plenty but what are the best areas, I see that Les Gets is next door. Will pass cover Morzine and Les Gets?

My wife is still a beginner boarder whats best suited for her?

What other resorts are accessible from Morzine?

Food and Drink recommendations in Morzine appreciated. We are half board but I might treat the wife one night.

Thanks in advance.

Graham
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@young_bairn, welcome to SHs. Hopefully conditions will improve between now and the 18th. If you buy a Morzine/Les Gets pass then you will be able to ski both areas. But you may prefer to buy the PDS pass which means you can then ski Avoriaz, Chatel and over into Switzerland as well as LG and Morzine. Or you can do a bit of a mix of the two.
As your wife is a beginner you could consider getting her a lesson or two.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Learning to board - Super Morzine is great for beginners, Zorre, Tetras, Serrasaix, Proclou.
You can get to Les Crossets and back on blue runs too if you both want a change of scenery.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I recommend La Paika mountain restaurant in between Morzine and Les Gets. I think in the Les Turches area. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow thanks for the quick replies.

It's depressing seeing the mild temperatures.

My wife will be doing a refresher lesson before we go across. She could link turn OK in the snowdome but last time she was on a mountain (Chamonix) she gave herself a fright with a good tumble so thanks for the recommendations. Need to find a nice gradient to build her confidence back up.

What is the apres like in Morzine? Would probably have 1 'night out' while we are there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you are in Super Morzine near lunchtime then L'Passage is a great option for lunch. If near Lindarets then there are loads but La Cremaillere and La Ferme are my favourites. On the Nyon side, Chez Nannon is a highly recommended.

Plenty of apres in Morzine, although not as noisy as some resorts. Recommendations would depend on whether you are looking for a few drinks immediately post-skiing or after dinner.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As your wife isn't a complete beginner I'd probably say the full PdS pass as I think you'll be covering enough miles to get bored of just the Morzine/Les Gets area in 5 days.

As others have said there are a couple of nice warm-up runs at the top of the Super Morzine gondola (and the best Vin Chaud on the mountain in the bar opposite the S-M top station) BUT the run from there across to Avoriaz/the rest of the PdS area is quite flat so not much fun on a board. As a result you might be better of hopping the free bus to either Prodains or Ardent gondolas. These take you up to Avoriaz without the slow slide and from there you can pick a run. If you go that way first day I'd probably say go Prodains as there's a few nice blues off the Lac Interets chair.

There's only 2 real apres areas in Morzine, about 5min walk apart. Most bars are in/around the centre of town, by the tourist information office and up towards the bottom of the Pleny run. There's also a few worth checking out down the bottom of the hill, at the head of the valley (Bar Robinson and Dixies - especially if The Dixie Micks are in town).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@young_bairn, lots of info on here if you look at the Morzine PdS threads and search "Morzine"...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's a nice 200m nursery (magic carpet served) slope at the top of the pleney lift...we went a few weeks ago with a beginner boarder and he found that fantastic to find his feet. In Les Gets theres also a nice area around the La Croix lift which is nice and wide for a beginner.

We had amazing burgers in The Haka, in fact we went back a second time! The pizza was also great at La Remise (I think - italian place next to The Haka).

Didn't find much Apres, but didn't look for any either - the microbrewery (Le Bec Jaune) was nice though, if you're into that kind of thing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@young_bairn, Be aware that Morzine sits between the Morzine-Les Gets and Morzine-Avoriaz lift pass areas. Morzine-Les Gets covers the Pleney and Crusaz lifts on the south west of Morzine (or to the right of town on the piste map). Morzine Avoriaz covers the Super Morzine and Prodains lifts to the North East (left side of town on the piste map). The Portes Du Soleil pass covers both sides. If you buy the PDS pass in advance be careful which lift company you buy it from as (If I remember correctly) it needs to be used on one of their lifts for the first journey of the week. So if you buy from the Morzine-Les Gets website you need to take the Pleney bubble (for example) on the first morning. No doubt others will correct me if I have misremembered that!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Tubaski mostly correct. Morzine-Les Gets covers, well, Morzine (but not Super Morzine) and Les Gets, Avoriaz covers, well, Avoriaz and Super Morzine is in teh Avoriaz area.

I don't know enough about the learning curve for beginning boarding but I think from Morzine lessons would be on Pleney and RVing with an instructor on Super-Morzine might be difficult.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all.

Week and a half to go cannot wait!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When it comes to saving money look at the one-day pass options. I nearly went there last week, and IIRC a Saturday pass for Avoriaz only is about €20.

I'd vaguely planned Thurs/Friday 2-day Morzine-Les Gets, Saturday 1-day Avoriaz and Sunday/Monday 2-day PdS.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Choice of pass depends on your need to rack-up the KMs. I love the PDS area, but have also enjoyed a quieter week just skiing Morzine and Les Gets. One of my favourite restaurants in Morzine is le chaudanne. Fantastic steak!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Biblu wrote:
There's a nice 200m nursery (magic carpet served) slope at the top of the pleney lift...we went a few weeks ago with a beginner boarder and he found that fantastic to find his feet. In Les Gets theres also a nice area around the La Croix lift which is nice and wide for a beginner.

We had amazing burgers in The Haka, in fact we went back a second time! The pizza was also great at La Remise (I think - italian place next to The Haka).

Didn't find much Apres, but didn't look for any either - the microbrewery (Le Bec Jaune) was nice though, if you're into that kind of thing.

Agree with this having not long come back from Morzine. Top of Pleney is perfect for confidence building. The kiddies snow park is up there which is great for figuring things out pre or post lesson. Some great runs down into the Les Gets bowl too. Just be careful which blues you pick as, for example, Graines D'Or and La Rosta both offer some steepish blues whereas Grand Cry offers a cracking wide cruisy blue that's brilliant for confidence building.
ski holidays
With the mild temps, I'm guessing the snow will stay in better condition up in Avoriaz this week. I was on the Morzine/Les Gets side most of last week and it was OK(ish).

The only place I'd stay clear of on a board with a beginner up in Avoriaz is the long Blue run down from Mossette as it's steep, flat, steep flat etc. The wife won't thank you if your hitting loads of flat spots.

Apres wise, Le Cottage near the Plenny telecabin in Morzine has live Music this week on Tuesday and Thursday for Apres. The Bec Juane, micro Brewery in Morzine is good for real beer and has amazing Scotch Eggs to go with your pint.

Beannies cafe might have some mid week late music going on and the Tibetan Bar and cavern are good if you wanted to stay out late.

Evening meal......Best Fondue is at The Clin d'Oeil Restaurant (Near Carrefour) or for a good Steak try the Rotande Restaurant.

Changabang in Avoriaz is good for a Burger at lunch if thats your thing or Mammo's in Linderet bowl up in the Avoriaz sector is also good for lunch.

Onyx Snowboard school rock.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy