Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to ski resorts - new French Environmental Zone Vignettes

Poster: A snowHead
@jonathancarty, I took a photo of mine with my regular phone, and then resized it until it was under the size (in Kb) that they needed. I did just the pages @altis mentions.

Mine took 1-2 weeks at most.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@sparklies,

Thanks, I scanned in page 2 of the V5 and that seemed to be fine. Came out with a 2 which I though was quite low for my diesel 8 seater Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Apologies if the answer is buried in this thread, however it looks to me like my normal route will take me through the Lyon and Chambery zones.

Does the certificate cover all areas or is there a separate one for each area?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Boris, you only need the one sticker for all areas.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hells Bells, thank you - best apply for it while I think about it
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hire cars in Geneva (both French and Swiss) dont have them - presumably they are exempt?
Or is this going down the must have a breathalyser path? - The French hire car didn't even have a Hi Vis gilet!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ford, An earlier post says that hire cars will be exempt, and if you got a fine the rental company will pay for it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok - so stuck on the

Commercial Description - you what???? Not sure what to put

Gives an error message on CO2 per KM which is 0.365 think the error message says 2 decimal places but won't let me put 0.37????
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Boris, that’s obviously the wrong number for grams of CO2 per km - it should be in the region of 100. Look further up your V5.

They used to have a help page that told you which fields to use but, unhelpfully, that seems to have disappeared now.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@altis, ah found it thanks, slightly higher than100 Embarassed it is a Land Rover after all
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Now just need to work out how to get scan smaller than 400kb
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I reduced it to 100dpi, converted to greyscale, tweaked the curves to obliterate the 'print through' from the other side and then saved it as a PNG.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ok, took photo and reduced that. Can't find Euro category on V5 (is 2010 reg and don't think it was included then) so selected the I can't find it option.

All seems to have gone through ok
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boris wrote:
Can't find Euro category on V5

Try looking on the VIN plate on the car, mine is on the driver's side door sill.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Can't find Euro category on V5 (is 2010 reg and don't think it was included then)

The Euro Category, the CO2 emissions and the commercial description are all optional fields (they don't have an * next to them). They will work it out from the info on the V5.
ski holidays
anyone else having trouble with this? stuck on the payment page.. wont move to bank details.
ski holidays
@tarrantd, they did, receipt received with proof of purchase

@kenloen, just did mine via CC went through very smoothly
snow conditions
I couldn't find the Euro category either - left it blank I think. They worked it out.
latest report
Yes the older V5's don't have the euro number, and nor did my owners manual or any of the engine or vehicle data stickers stuck on the car in various places. But it's an optional field on the form so you can leave it blank.

I also had a problem entering the CO2 data from my V5 as the form kept returning an error until I realised I had mistakenly picked up data from the CO/km field, instead of the CO2/km.
ski holidays
For info but don't rely on this - walked through the carpark at the funicular at BSM looking to see how many cars had stickers - only saw 1 in the 30 card I passed.
snow report
Annecy now included:

https://www.latania.co.uk/blog/2018/02/22/critair-air-quality-sticker-coming-to-annecy/
ski holidays
Great info thanks. Don't understand it all, but will get on the case...
latest report
Reminds me - not received mine yet - 2-weeks from application.

Glad I did it early - assume may have been a rush with Half-term etc
latest report
Don’t want to alarm you Boris but a work colleague of mine applied for hers last Tues and it arrived on Monday. So would have thought yours would be here by now. Did you get the email confirmation?
latest report
The Annecy bit has made me get mine, boy the faff, to get the file size down to size I had to sub contract to a student Toofy Grin
But did get e mail confirmation almost straight away
ski holidays
The sticker arrived in the post today! I was just thinking I should chase it up...

So that took from Feb 18th to March 7th! 17 days

BTW CRIT'air 2 for my dirty dangerous diesel! (CRIT air 1 is electric or Hydrogen powered)
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, we have only spotted 1, like us ha ha, and 2. And not many of those either!
ski holidays
I applied Feb 1st, got the email confirmation the next day after applying with a document to prove I had applied - so safe for half term!

However the sticker still hasn't arrived and according to them it was sent by courier on Feb 8th.

Perhaps there is a black market going on for these?! Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jesus wrote:
Perhaps there is a black market going on for these?!

The sticker has your registration on it, someone else would need to clone your numberplates too for it to be any use to them.
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
CRIT air 1 is electric or Hydrogen powered

My petrol 2012 Mondeo is a 1.
snow report
@rjs, Ah yes, I was referring to the Diesel list, petrol is different!
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/hVoyw1jLr3I
snow conditions
@davidof, You only need them in zones when there have been air quality issues for at least 3 successive days, and the prefect has declared a level 2 air quality alert - so this is why the Parisian has one.
Incidentally you say "76 : another Parisian, not bothered.."
76 is Seine Maritime: a department in Normandy running from Le Treport to Le Harve, and having Rouen as the major city. This department does not have any Crit Air Zones - hence no sticker.

Historically the only bits of Rhone Alpes with L2 alerts has been the Arve Valley (Chamonix, St Gervais, Sallanches, Cluses etc..) and Lyon ( though motorway Traffic going around Lyon is exempt) going back to 2011:
https://www.atmo-auvergnerhonealpes.fr/article/historique-des-dispositifs-prefectoraux-en-cas-depisodes-de-pollution

So by and large they are not required, but it's like carrying a spare bulb.
It only costs a couple of quid, and hopefully you don't need it, but worth having just in case there is a bad pollution event, and you need to go to a zone where it is enforced.
So if you consider carrying spare bulbs as a scam - then yes it's a scam.
latest report
@WindOfChange, you're quite right that for many/most the new regulations are irrelevant. My car has a Critair sticker because I understand that could be a legal requirement in certain circumstances, however irrelevant. However, as a UK magistrate, I am fastidious about following the law whichever country I am in. The French law seems difficult to follow as it requires I carry replacement bulbs for bulbs which cannot be replaced by the user. The instruction manual for the car that I drive (which is, of course, EU approved) states that it has no user replaceable bulbs. I presume, therefore, that the law doesn't apply to me but I don't actually know. What's a poor law abiding soul like me supposed to do?
ski holidays
Do these things need to be renewed yearly? I'm guessing so, but if that's the case I haven't had a reminder!

Nor will I bother for now as not driving in France until New Year
ski holidays
@Boris, Since it is just a sticker indicating the emission class of the vehicle I presumed that it lasts the life of the vehicle (or the scheme!).
snow report
@RobinS, correct

Just did what I should have done in first place!

How long is my Air Quality Certificate valid ?
A vehicle retains the same environmental classification throughout its lifetime.
Once acquired, the certificate is valid as long as it remains legible.
ski holidays
I've still got my breathalysers
Long out of date now I guess
Similarly there is a box of spare lightbulbs in the car c.1980 (My headlights and rear lights are both sealed units)
Beam deflectors as well, even though the new car is so clever it knows its in France and changes the headlight angles
Warning triangle is in the garage because the car came with its own built in.
First aid box as above
Hi Viz for everyone although only need one for driver (Came in useful around the roadblocks in Albertville this winter)

So Crit air is just another 'thing'

For the future I guess a GB sticker will be needed again.
snow report
We did use one of the spare bulbs recently for our campervan.
snow report
I applied and duly stuck said sticker in my windscreen. But the windscreen broke and I had it replaced. Does anybody know if I can get a replacement or do I need to apply again as if getting one for the first time?
TIA for any help.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy