Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corvara- multiple questions

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, it's nearly time for our annual half term diy trip- snowheads has been such a mine of useful information over the years. So here goes...
-We are flying into Marco polo (switched from treviso- grrr.)
Heading for corvara- where's best to stop for a big shop?

- Anyone stayed in the arlara area? Our apartment is opposite the hotel but I'm wondering how bad the walk to town for shopping/dinner really is?

-my daughter has snowboarding lessons at 1.30 on 3 afternoons. Do you think we could get to hidden Valley and back by then? We are right next to the lift and reasonable intermediate skiers. Also is it mad to take 2 boarders to the hidden Valley?

Thank you!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"my daughter has snowboarding lessons at 1.30 on 3 afternoons" - yes, if you start early : wouldn't have thought boarding the hidden valley would be much fun for boarders, several flat sections

Edit -----

Hidden valley

Have some Cash/change for the bus (armentorola to foot of laguzoi) and the 'horse tow' at the end

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 24-01-17 13:54; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I haven't stayed in that area but the reviews for the hotel say be prepared for a long walk (nothing too serious, just that it can be a long walk uphill getting back).

Is your daughter doing the afternoon snowboard course? I was thinking of booking my son into that but they said it only goes ahead if a minimum of 3 people sign up for it. I guess that would be at least 2 so I'm sure we'll make up the numbers. I'm assuming your half term week is 11-18th Feb? It seems some areas are different.

The Hidden Valley doesn't take that long. I did it with my son last year and we were back up on the plateau having lunch by 11.30 and that included a stop for coffee near the end of the run. As albob says though, start early to avoid the queues getting up there.

We are flying into Treviso with RyanAir (at least no one has told us otherwise). Bad luck with the flight change.

The only real supermarket in Corvara is small with a limited range, but is at least near your end of town. If anyone knows somewhere to stop on the way then that might be a good idea.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stayed close to the Hotel Alara this time last year. The walk back from the town is considerable. It's uphill all the way and will take you at least 30 min. Taxis were easy to get and bar/cafe staff were keen to help. The Bocconara bar on the piste opposite the Alara lift is great.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes you could do the Hidden Valley and back in time but you would miss lunch and lunch at Sicotoni which is the whole point for me. Madeye-Smiley
OK for good snowboarders who can scoot.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all! It sounds like the hidden valley should be fine- ( I'm not the boarder!) I'd love to stay for lunch but 3 days of afternoon lessons is restricting us a bit and we want to do the sella Ronda as well. I'll make sure we bring some cash.

@olderscot, yes it's the snowboard course- she's 17 so I think it might be the adult one. They have warned us it won't go ahead without the numbers. How old is your lad? My daughter switched to boarding last year when there was no snow on the school ski trip - she also did another week with us so she's pretty good now. She's keen to learn some tricks!
We are also Ryanair but from Bristol- I got the email about the change last summer so you should be ok! It's odd though as I assumed they'd moved entirely.

@kevinraine,thanks, it's good to hear taxis are possible. Do you know if the bocconara is open in the evening? We don't go out much and I'm guessing we can eat in either of the hotels but it's good to have options.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@nem, can't say with great certainty about the Bocconara in the evening but their Facebook page shows that they have an event on 27th Jan!!. Did eat in the Sport Hotel and had the works. Not cheap but good value. My wife says that it was about €7 for the taxi.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@nem, My son is 16 and bigger than me so would be in the adult group as well. At least he hopes so. He's a complete beginner and his only concern about doing the course is that he'll end up in a group of 8 year olds. Last year he was in the adult 'black' ski group with me.

I'm sure they'll split the group into levels the same way they do with the ski lessons. I guess we'll find out the numbers when we get there and finalise the booking.

We're flying from Stanstead so maybe it was just the Bristol flights that Ryanair changed.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nem wrote:
Hi, it's nearly time for our annual half term diy trip- snowheads has been such a mine of useful information over the years. So here goes...
-We are flying into Marco polo (switched from treviso- grrr.)
Heading for corvara- where's best to stop for a big shop?

- Anyone stayed in the arlara area? Our apartment is opposite the hotel but I'm wondering how bad the walk to town for shopping/dinner really is?

-my daughter has snowboarding lessons at 1.30 on 3 afternoons. Do you think we could get to hidden Valley and back by then? We are right next to the lift and reasonable intermediate skiers. Also is it mad to take 2 boarders to the hidden Valley?

Thank you!

I may be wrong but I'm assuming you don't have a car. As another poster said there is a supermarket in town, next to Sport Kostner (?) and bigger than it used to be. There is a Spa in La Villa that is bigger and has decent parking but if you have no transport you cant get there. There used to be a mini market next to the Underground Bar which burnt down a few years ago, and they hadn't rebuilt when we last went a couple of years ago.

I'm not sure about the timings on the hidden valley as when my husband has done it i've driven him up there. However he regularly does the Sella Ronda, or Marmolada and his back for lunch to meet me, so I would have thought you would have enough time.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I know corvara reasonably well and have stayed at the Arlara twice - great bombardinos!

I think trying to do the hidden valley in the morning is pushing it as a number of factors will influence how long it takes; long queues for the coach at armentarola are frequent and then you have to queue up for the cable car at falzarego as well. When we skied from the arlara in march a few years ago it took us a whole morning to get to the top of the hidden valley run.

Sorry can't help you with the supermarket, never gone self-catering but there must be some towns on the Venice motorway which will have a big supermarket.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry forgot to say that it is definitely a steep walk uphill from corvara to the arlara, can't remember quite how long but you won't want to be doing it every day!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you have a car the there s a big supermarket on the right as you skirt Belluno.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From the Dolomites weather report thread -

Barbs007 wrote:
We arrive in Corvara on Saturday - any other advice on cruisey blues not to be missed very much appreciated Little Angel

There's a ton of them on the Pralongia plateau - also don't be afraid to have a look at some of the red runs.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone! Mixed opinions there about the hidden valley - if we do it we'll need to head off first thing- that might rule it out with the teens!-It's going to be a pain anyway with 2 boarders and would be even more so to be in a hurry.3 afternoon lessons in 6 days does limit the options.

We do have a car so we'll look out around belluno for the supermarket- thanks. It looks like it's a treck into town from arlara but heres hoping the access to the lift makes it worth it. Sounds like the bombardos will anyway!

@kevinraine, it's useful to hear the sporthotel is good. We might leave the kids behind for that one!

Barbs007- there was a fairly recent thread all about corvara blues - it was very detailed and helpful. If you search up corvara you should find it.

I've think I've read everything on here! But any top tips from anyone whose been recently are greatly appreciated...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've been to Alta Badia three times in the last 4 years and skied the Hidden Valley each time. Never had much of a queue either for the minibus from Armentarola or the Lagazuoi lift. However, I was there in either January or March - February half term will obviously be busier.
The run itself is not a problem for a snowboarder who can handle red runs and they get to sit on the horse-drawn sled rather than be towed behind. If the horses aren't operating because of lack of snow there will be a taxi/minibus which is worth taking to San Cassiano to avoid the drag lift out of Armentarola.

The Hidden Valley is well worth it, try to pick a sunny day, you'll love it.

Oh - and Marco Polo is a more reliable airport than Treviso, which can close due to fog when MP is still open.
ski holidays
Have done Hidden Valley twice and as others have said queues at Amentarola for coach can be lengthy. Just a thought as time seems to be critical but you could try to book a taxi direct from your appartment to take you directly to the cable car at Falzarego, that way you would eliminate your chances of being delayed at one of the bottlenecks.

Once you have completed the Hidden Valley and come back to the main pistes you could skiback to Corvara.
ski holidays
If youre going to do the hiddem valley, do the great war ring. Skiing over Civette (Make sure you head back on your self and do a top to bottom into Alleghe) and then over to get the bus up to Cinque torre, and then ski the hidden valley from there. Civetta and Cinque Torre are far more specular than the hidden valley. Get a bus timetable so your now what time to get the bus from the bottom of Marmolada and the bottom of the zoldo side of Civetta. The ski Panaroma tour out of the back of Alba is also a must.
latest report
nem wrote:
Thanks everyone! Mixed opinions there about the hidden valley - if we do it we'll need to head off first thing- that might rule it out with the teens!-It's going to be a pain anyway with 2 boarders and would be even more so to be in a hurry.3 afternoon lessons in 6 days does limit the options.

We do have a car so we'll look out around belluno for the supermarket- thanks. It looks like it's a treck into town from arlara but heres hoping the access to the lift makes it worth it. Sounds like the bombardos will anyway!

@kevinraine, it's useful to hear the sporthotel is good. We might leave the kids behind for that one!

Barbs007- there was a fairly recent thread all about corvara blues - it was very detailed and helpful. If you search up corvara you should find it.

I've think I've read everything on here! But any top tips from anyone whose been recently are greatly appreciated...

If you have a car, then there is also a supermarket in San Vito right by the road. (co-op?)
Also are you aware that Italian car hire places routinely do not provide winter tyres/snow chains? (unless things have changed)
We have fallen foul of that in the past and struggled getting to our accommodation. We changed to flying to Innsbruck and/or Munich.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy