Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Renting for a season

Poster: A snowHead
I know of a nice one in St Foy if that's of interest.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Paul_ox, Places are starting to come up now so I am getting a good idea of what the costs will be vs location. Brides is certainly one on my list for consideration purely for the fact I will have a car so will be easier to get about rather than driving out of resort each time. Also it looks like Brides is about 3-4K cheaper to rent for a season.

I assume there is a gym/pool etc for down days? I'm a fitness freak.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chrisrawles, it's definitley cheaper in Brides. Not sure about gym - there's a spa including sauna, hot tub and (very small) pool at the Mercure Hotel which is open to the public. Not sure about a gym though. Might be best to make contact with the tourist office http://ski.brides-les-bains.com/tourist-office.html for advice.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Paul_ox, Which cover did you take with MPI? Just looking at insurance now and can;t see where they offer tenants cover
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@chrisrawles, also looking to do the same as you, career break non-working season. Looking at Val d'Isere though, more of a proper town than Tignes, willing to pay the extra. Will follow this thread with interest.

Prices I've seen are €9-11k for 1-3 beds, ~40sqm. What are you allowing for per day spends? Was thinking of £60 as a budget that, hopefully, has some contingency built in.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dr John, At the moment we have 2 options on the table (subject to them still being available). 1 in Brides and another in Val Claret. Both very nice apartments but also very different locations. Trying to imagine what it will be like living in/out of resort is whats causing us the headaches. Also as we are not wanting to 'slum it' trying to find a place that is nice but not mega £££ is another hurdle.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chrisrawles, I stayed a night in Brides les Bains last week, there was a small gym in the hotel, I would expect a fair number of hotels would have them for the summer trade but have no idea if they are open to non-residents.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chrisrawles, at my age (4*) I'm certainly not slumming it. I've have 1st refusal (or so I'm told) on a studio apartment with double bed (well, queen size) in a very good location in ValD. I'm sacrificing square footage for convenience, thinking over the course of a season I'll appreciate the location more than the savings. It's also right in town, so better for assimilating into the seasonaire life.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dr John, Our requirements for an apartment rather than a studio and a washing machine have really cut the selection down. We are off to Tignes on Saturday where we will be looking at a place. Once we see that then we will make a decision on where we will base ourselves.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chrisrawles, ha, yes, my requirement for a washing machine also cut the list from 12 to 3. Just me so a studio is fine. In fact, most places are studio-esque to some extent, and mostly single beds. I couldn't find one with a proper separate bedroom and lounge. Standard of fixtures & fittings also varies wildly. If I get this placeI'll be happy, even if it is about a 3rd more expensive that tignes.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Neilski wrote:
Re property insurance,
My French bank manager advised me that French tenants rely on their own household policies to cover their liabilities in rental properties and that the banks insurance of my property would not cover a tenants liability.

I had no need to check this out further but he was suggesting that all tenants should have their own insurance cover for damage including floods/fire etc. Looking at the level of cover provided by one UK policy an insurance underwriter friend thought it would prove to be too little if a tenants actions resulted in major fire damage to an apartment block.

I would be interested to know from any other property owners whether what the bank manager suggested was correct.

yes, that's correct
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chrisrawles, it's their standard seasonnaire insurance. Cover is under section 4 personal liability. The summary document says "Damages you are legally liable to pay in respect of bodily injury to another person or damage to their property (including travel companion, many policies don’t). Plus there is cover for damage to temporary accommodation – a legal requirement in France. Babysitting, ski hosting, leading and teaching (non- professional)."

The actual policy says:

PERSONAL LIABILITY
We will pay up to the amount shown on the schedule, in addition to legal costs incurred with our written consent, for your legal liability, including a) your contractual liability for the actions of travelling companions for whom you have booked a trip and b) whilst ski hosting, leading, or teaching, including advice, on a non-professional or voluntary basis provided, using your judgement, care is taken not to take skiers/snowboarders into areas that are substantially too difficult for their ability, if you or they cause:
a) accidental bodily injury to any person, or,
b) accidental loss or damage to someone else’s property, including temporary
holiday accommodation and its contents.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Hells Bells, @Paul_ox, scuse my hignorance, but are you saying I would have to have my own, separate, insurance if renting an apartment?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dr John, Yes, you need a tenant's liability insurance. For the French it's included in their own household policies. I found that taking out seasonaire insurance from MPI explicitly covered it so that was ok for me.

The idea is that you're liable if you flood the apartment block that you're living in, or burn it down, so need to be insured against that. It cost me no extra for £5m of cover.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Paul_ox, Thanks. Quick quote on MPI website comes out at £270, which is £120 lower that MAL/Ski Club have quoted. Couldn't see explicit building cover on the summary though.
snow report
@Dr John, Wow, mine was under £200 for their 'Excel' package this year!
The cover comes under section 4 - Personal Liability - see my reply to @chrisrawles above.
ski holidays
@Paul_ox, How does that work if you're renting a holiday apartment for a week? Is it covered by the landlord, the agent, or the tenant's holiday insurance?
snow report
@Chamcham, I'm afraid I don't know for sure - this was the first time I'd come across it. I believe that it would be required, though your travel insurance may well cover it under personal liability. Googling shows that it's often a term in the lease (that you accept liability for damage). But it's important to understand that this doesn't just mean a dropped wine glass!

I don't think it's required for a hotel booking, but would be for a rental of an apartment or similar.
ski holidays
@Paul_ox, sobering thought!
ski holidays
@Paul_ox, Thanks for all your info its been a huge help in this new adventure i'm looking at. How are you finding it now that the snow is melting in and around Meribel? I assume the links to get high are still open?
snow conditions
@Paul_ox, just checked both again and MPI is £270, Ski Club £390, both for 5 months, both platinum level. Ski Club goes up to £10m total cover, MPI I think 5. Not gone through the small print yet but suspect higher cover levels generally from SK.
snow conditions
@chrisrawles, no problem, this forum was a source of great help to me when planning my season.
Indeed, can still get to Val Thorens or Courcheval, it's just a gondola ride up and back to Meribel, and a bit of slush on the lower slopes to get back. Still great skiing up top, although I was surprised how busy ValT was on Sunday.
snow report
@Paul_ox, is Courch 1650 now closed? I love 1650
snow report
@chrisrawles, the lower half of it is - you can see the situation at http://www.valthorens.com/fr/live/plan-interactif-des-pistes.426.html

It's apparently been a bad season for snow, but there's been good piste skiing to be found throughout, usually under blue skies. Now they are struggling to keep what they can open, where necessary moving snow from lower priority slopes to keep higher priority slopes open (beginners areas, links etc.)

Sadly for me though, I'm back to the UK tomorrow as work calls.
snow conditions
@Paul_ox, Will you do another season? Never know might be neighbors!
snow conditions
@chrisrawles, I'd love to do another in future. It won't be next year though as I know it won't fit around my work commitments.
ski holidays
@Paul_ox, We have settled on Brides and will be sorting out the paperwork this week. Just wondering does the Gondola keep running till the end of April or do you have to drive to VT is you want to keep skiing until the end of April?
ski holidays
Sorry to hijack the thread but I am considering Brides for a season in another year or two. As a non-car driver who would have to rely on a bus service to Moutiers for a reasonable supermarket shop, is it a feasible option? Most of the bus info I have found relates to transfers and at tourist prices. Could I actually survive a season on only the local shops? Otherwise it's back to Bourg
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chrisrawles, i was in the three valleys on various days coming to the end of the season and the gondola was shut plus i find it is quicker most days even with a little traffic to drive up as you can hardly ever ski down even half way. Hope you have a good season and maybe we will catch up for some riding. Hope your place is nice.

@JimG2009, bourg is a lot easier. Yes there is a bus, but not that often down to Moutiers from Brides. Only using the Gondola to get up I think you will find it is a pain. did it for a week once and would never do it again. A few days is ok, but not everyday IMO.

At the moment for anyone looking for a place. My friend in Bourg has a small studio for rent. Cheap so will go quite quickly I would guess. Send me a PM for more details.
latest report
@snowcrazy, thanks for your advice and for confirming my suspicions. I have sent you a PM
snow report
JimG2009 et al
We spent 3 (separate) weeks in Brides last season (i.e. 16/17) & loved it!

There is a local bus from Brides to Salin Les Thermes, where there is a very large Super U supermarket. We didn't use the bus, as we made do with the Spar in Brides. It's small but well stocked - though a bit pricy. You could survive a season on their produce but a trip to the Super U would definitely save you more than a few bob!

We didn't find the gondola to be a pain at all. To put things in context, we both packed work in early a coule of yeas ago to spend more time skiing and, for the first time, bought 3 Valleys season passes last season.

With that in mind we treated the gondola trip as our "daily commute." The views from the lift are stunning and we would often have a coffee & pain au chocolat (takeaway from the Spar) as we travelled, asking ourselves where we would rather be - looking at fantastic scenery on the (25 minute) commute to skiing; or sitting in the car for 45 minutes, in stop-start traffic en route to another day in the office... Puzzled

We were pleasantly surprised by the price of food & drink in Brides. Happy hour large beers for €4.50 (full price €5) & pizzas in a restaurant €12. The same restaurant sells half a litre of Leffe for €5.50.

We also stayed in Meribel, Val Thorens and Reberty during the season & managed to get in 70 days skiing, over 5 trips. Happy days! Very Happy Very Happy

We are planning more of the same next year! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Bergmeister, thanks for your comments.

My initial perspective was, like you, to treat the Brides gondola ride as a commute. I spent a week in Bourg in January to test the water and was very happy there, despite an unwanted hospital stay.

Previous seasons in Austria, Switzerland and France lead me to think a lower altitude main town with good access to a large ski area would be better than living in the bubble, besides the benefits of lower rent and general cost of living.

As my next season is at least another winter away, I look forward to reading regular updates from those of you in various resorts (especially enjoy the 2 Val d'Isere and the Les Arc threads).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy