Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on buying first pair of skis

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone, how are you? I am looking forward to buy my first pair of skis and I need your help.

I am 64kg and about 178cm tall. I consider myself "upper intermediate" (if there is such a thing Very Happy). I can ski all piste runs and also some off-piste. Though I mostly ski piste I started going off-piste. I am looking for the right ski/size that will help me to improve my technic in the piste and also give me some freedom to go off-piste.

I am thinking to buy Volkl Mantra 170'. What do you think (model and size)?

I would really appreciate your suggestions. Thank you!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well there are different Mantras apparently according to model year which vary by rocker and under foot camber. In general the Mantra has had a reputation as a more aggressive all mountain ski ( like a wider GS type) but some fans have gone off it in subsequent years as its lost some aggressive personality. 170 is too short IMV for an adult male skiing a ski with any significant rocker - fine in a piste ski but not in an all mountain.

Best advice is to demo - only you know how strong and technical a skier you are and what conditions you typically ski in so anyone else is shooting blind. If not buy cheap second hand and see what you like that way.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you for your reply Dave.

Unfortunately here where I live is not possible to test skis before buying. And usually the skis that are for rent are not the best quality. Thats why Ii really want to be sure before I make an invest in buying the skis. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Regards,
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
OP - Where do you live? In the UK there are a number of snozones with indoor slopes. Great for testing out ski's. If you can get yourself to an indoor slope (they also tend to have ski/snow shops attached so you can buy/test gear) it is really worth it.

I'am in a similar position. i would say I am a strong intermediate but haven't skied for six years. Can ski challenging reds & can sort of get down blacks. I'am off to Tignes in April & fancy buying a new pair of skis. I also mainly ski piste but like going off the sides of the groomed piste; so have been thinking of all an mountain ski. I have so far tested Salomon X drive 8 TI & Fisher Pro MTN 80 TI. Really chalk & cheese. The Salomon was very good on the powder & off-piste bits on the slope but did feel too stiff on the piste for me. The Fischer was excellent. Got on with it immediately. Maybe due to that the Fisher is very slightly smaller under foot. So, I'am going to go back to MK Snozone; try the Fischer's again & also Volkl RTM 78 (an all mountain ski) & Volkl Code UVO (more of a piste ski & has the smallest waist). I couldn't believe it when I tried the Salomon & Fisher how two skis can be so different. Which is why you should try before you buy. I think the slightly wider waist in Salomon's made it a little harder to initiate the turn/carve than the Fischer. i can't wait to test drive both the Volkl's.

A ski shop will also advise on length of ski. When i got my K2's a few years ago it use to be tip of ski to nose or forehead but that's when ski's hardly had any rocker; so you can go slightly longer.

Good luck buddy in your choice.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's a while since I bought skis but when I did, I tested them in the Alps.

I went into a decent ski hire shop and agreed with them to pay for the VIP skis and just kept swapping them during the week I was there. Sometimes I would ski a day on them, swap them and they were fine with it. Doing it this way really opened my eyes to how different some skis were, and how much I really disliked the feel of some. I must have tested 4 or 5 different types of skis issued that week. The shop actually sent me out on a set of skis they had on test from the manufacturer, due for release the following year.

I did some homework before I went out and before I parted with the cash, made sure they had the skis I wanted to test in my size. Yes you're paying extra for fancy skis but I think it's a good investment as you really get a good understanding of what you're buying.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Kersh
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@leon, skis are so personal to you and your style that it's hard to get the perfect pair without demo-ing them, but I know that it's hard in the UK if you only have indoor slopes, and I don't think that really gives any proper idea. Testing in resort is possible or best, as @Kersh suggested, though in my experience the type and range of ski available is often restricted and varies widely by resort and country.
Could you get to Scotland on a few good days? Hire & sales shops there used to be helpful.
Sometimes, however, you just have to research, read reviews and plump. Or, as someone else suggested, buy some cheap 2nd hand off e bay or wherever and see what you think of them.
Size wise I have some AM Scott Reverse (with tip rocker) at 166 and I'm 163 cm tall and a mature girlie type. They're proving so far to be nice all-round skis BTW.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hello everyone. Sorry I couldn't reply to you sooner as I was very busy.

Last week I went to a few stores, although the selection is not great, I made a little list. I would appreciate if you could give me some feedback. Unfortunately I don´t have the chance to demo any of the skis (not common around here).

Völkl RTM 77
Rossignol Pursuit 500 LTD
Rossignol Experience 80 HD
Rossignol Experience 75

I am really confused about the sizes of the skis. As I mentioned before I am 63kg and 178cm tall. Many of the sellers told me I should go for max. 170 skis (considering my weight). I am intermediate (80% piste) and looking to improve my technique, gain some confidence and explore new terrain.

Please any advice is welcome. Thank you again!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have the Rossi 80s as my first ski and i have found them excellent , very stable and comfortable.
didnt get much off piste with them but any i did they were grand.
Also tried some of the new Fischer slalom skis in a shorter length , they were very precise and a lot of fun but i preferred the Rossi 80 as they were more cruisy if that makes sense.They also allowed a range of turn shapes and always felt very stable at higher speeds.
Also tried the RTM 75 , used to love them but i found them a bit wobbly at higher speeds as i progressed.
i suppose its all to do with weight etc and how you ski but ill recommend the Experience 80's as i bought them as my first ski and they have been fantastic and seem to match what your looking for.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If I was buying blind (and would be with that list), I'd go with Hawkwind's suggestion....though I'd rather have the Experience 84, as they'd be a bit more versatile and stable...and being a more advanced ski, would "grow" with my progression as a skier.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for your comments guys.

I have been hearing really good things about Rossignol Experience line. I think I will go for the Experience 80, the price is also more convenient (80s are 100usd cheaper than the RTM77). If I find a good deal for the 84s I would also really consider them but currently they are much more expensive than the 80s.

Do you think 170cm would be OK for me?

Thank you again
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I got myself a pair of the Experience 80's as my first pair. I cant comment on how they compare to others as I am not experienced enough to tell the difference between skis but what I can say is they felt planted & gave me a bit more confidence. I think this will grow as I now have the same ski every time.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
leon wrote:
Thanks for your comments guys.

I have been hearing really good things about Rossignol Experience line. I think I will go for the Experience 80, the price is also more convenient (80s are 100usd cheaper than the RTM77). If I find a good deal for the 84s I would also really consider them but currently they are much more expensive than the 80s.

Do you think 170cm would be OK for me?

Thank you again

One thing to remember is that the skis you get now, may last for a few years...so any saving should be seen in that light. Buy once, buy right.

On length, your options are 160; 168 or 176. This is not a stiff ski, so you should be fine on the 168.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone for the advices.

Would be the Rossi Experience 84 ok for mostly on piste? ( I am not so much off piste, as i said before 80% on piste).

By the way I am also surprised most of you discarded the Völkl RTM 77, I read really good comments about it (i am just curious).

Thank you!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Regarding the Volkl, it may depend which year it is....I believe they added the "UVO" to dampen the ride of the RTM range, which made them really good skis.

Skis are too personal to call for someone else.

If you are going to spend almost all your time on Piste (95 / 5), then get a Piste ski, with 70-74mm under foot. If you want to venture off or to the side, then 84 will be better, as it is All Mountain....and the Experience 84 is a "better" ski and will grow with your needs for a longer time.

For me, 80 is neither one thing, nor another....ie. too narrow for All Mountain and not quite narrow enough to be ideal on Piste....others will disagree.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Old Fartbag The Volkl is this one -> http://www.skis.com/Volkl-RTM-77-Skis-with-Volkl-Marker-4Motion-11.0-TC-Bindings-2014/318562P,default,pd.html

I think it does not have the "UVO".

I am almost convinced about buying the Rossi E84. I just want to be sure that it is not a "too much" off-piste ski. I mostly want to improve my technique on piste and then start exploring new terrain.

Thank you all and sorry for insisting that much Very Happy
snow conditions
It's your money and you are buying blind....so insisting is not a bad thing.

The Volkls are from 2014 and I believe have had quite a lot of updates and improvements since then.

You are the same weight as myself, so if you are still at the intermediate stage, you might have better fun with with a more playful ski, which would make your attempts into off-piste a little easier.

84 is actually not that wide for an All Mountain ski, so should be fine on Piste....but do your own research on the reviews. FWIW. The 84 HD was Ellis Brigham's "Men's Ski of the Year" for 2017.

Here's a review to get you going: http://www.yellowgentian.com/ski-reviews/all-mountain/rossignol-experience-84-hd
ski holidays
My general, though limited, experience of the rossi exp range is that they are solid crowd pleasers - though the 80s were definitely a little vanilla for my taste (and not just because they were soft).

Providing you are not expecting a very stiff on piste charger, or have some other specific requirement, you probably can't go too wrong. They are good skis.
snow conditions
Pynch wrote:
- though the 80s were definitely a little vanilla for my taste (and not just because they were soft).

This is exactly why I suggested moving up to the more substantial 84s...which should allow the OP more "headroom" as he progresses.
latest report
@Old Fartbag, ahh yes - didn't see your post two back Embarassed

As a solid intermediate myself, I tend to favour skis that push me to ski precisely, and chuck me over when I'm sking badly... but as you say skis are very much a personal choice!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy