Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

alternative to les gets

Poster: A snowHead
Title says it all really! I've become lazy and return to LG year after year but now it has become soooo popular its time we explored elsewhere.
I like the more traditional feel, tree line skiing and a year round working village environment, nothing purpose built.
Look forward with interest to your opinions 😁
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Champoluc? We have a nice apartment to rent...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I should add that we like to drive, all adults as the kids are grown and very competent skiers

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 22-01-17 9:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Champoluc is traditional with tree lined routes and not purpose built. Snow good and plenty of off piste. Arraba could also fit your requirements, piste is excellent at the moment.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
UNN ... Italy.... Is it drivable? how many does your apartment sleep as I ll need min 4 bedrooms... Thanks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How about Megeve?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for Megeve. Wengen would probably fit the bill too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Take a look at Madesimo in Italy.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kinda want to stay driving distance.... 12hrs max 😵
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How about the Grand Massif? Nearer than PDS actually, half-hour from A40. Samoens is traditional with good lift access, maybe Les Carroz. Morillon a bit low.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
La Clusaz/le grand bornand (latter feels more rural but La Clusaz has more trees)
Les Carroz or Morillon but can be busy in the Grand Massif in peak weeks
Les Saisies/Notre dame de Bellecombe.

Vallandry area of Les Arcs, Montgenevre and Val Cenis
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I know Samoen/mortillon well but a bit low unfortunately. Will look at the other suggestions, thanks everyone!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd recommend Grand Bornand Chinaillon, slightly higher than Les Gets in terms of base, though if the snow is good you can ski down to the village at about 1000m. Not quite so tree lined as Les Gets but a very nice ski area, just big enough to keep you busy for a week and not busy compared to other more obvious resorts.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
d@spike.co.uk wrote:
I know Samoen/mortillon well but a bit low unfortunately. Will look at the other suggestions, thanks everyone!

I can understand your reservation about Samoens as you cannot ski back to the village. However if you look at the historic snow depths of the Grand Massif ski area I would have thought they would be similar to Portes de Soleil and better than some of the other places being discussed such as Megeve.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@d@spike.co.uk Personally I'd suggest trying a different country if you can.

What do you want from a resort, skiing wise? Itineraries, off piste, miles of groomed piste, lots of KM to tick off??

We've driven to the St Anton region many times with kids from Leeds.
snow report
d@spike.co.uk wrote:

Think you might struggle to find a true year-round working village much higher than 1200m in the Northen Alps if you are limiteing to 12 hours of driving door to door.
ski holidays
Les Gets is hardly a "traditional working village". Plenty of purpose built stuff. Les Saisies is smaller, more French but similar in that it's attractive, not high rise, has " villagey" feel. Far more likely to have resort level snow than Megeve (and far cheaper!).
snow report
PamW, I suppose what I meant to say was a village that existed before skiing. I know most resorts have long lost their traditional foundations but I'm not keen on high purpose built resorts.
Out ski holidays are about the whole experience and not just hitting the slope every day, food, wine, stopping to enjoy the vista's.... Just being
snow conditions
I'm sure I'll get shot down for saying this but in my limited experience Austria and Italy have more traditional villages that existing long before ski resorts existed

Some of this was due settlement before and after wars fought between the Austria-Hungary Empire and Italy, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Front_(World_War_I)
snow report
@d@spike.co.uk, have you had a look at Val Cenis?

We've spent quite alot of time around GM, LG,PDS,and the smaller satellite ares in that region but were looking more recently for something along the same line's as you that we'd not previously visited. Last two years we've been to VC to stay and also to explore more of the valley Maurienne while there. It's a fairly old established series of little villages on the original mountain pass over into Italy, replaced by the Frejus tunnel now.
The long green run down to village is the road over the mountains in summer, a bit like the route down from col D jou plan (apologies for spelling there).
It's much further back in terms of development than LG I'd say, with possibly something of the character you ask for.
Great satellite at the far end of the valley in Bonneval Sur Arc with intriguing old village there.

It's a little further from here but not as far as first appears depending on route. But it's a very easy drive up there with both toll and local roads fairly uninterrupted. The Lansvillard part of the area is about 1600mtrs as well with a north facing aspect. It seems to me more snow reliable than LG but with a good mix of open mountain up to 2800mtrs and fairly extensive tree line pistes.

You've also got direct access to Val Thoren from that valley as well for a different day out as a big lift travels up from Orelle, about 30 mins drive away from VC.

The lift costs are better too, along with some great places to eat out. Plenty of places serving more locally biased food so to me it's move attractive as I don't particularly want to chase tourist bias.

I think it's well worth a sample week to see what you think. Very Happy
ski holidays
@d@spike.co.uk, 3 bedrooms I'm afraid. Several hotels in village tho'. Italy certainly driveable from south UK...
snow report
Quote:

UNN ... Italy.... Is it drivable?

Oh course it is. The Monterosa ski area is just the other side of the Monte Bianco tunnel, about 1000km from Calais.

The Dolomites are a bit more of a trek, more than your 12 hours limit
ski holidays
Ski 3...
Great post and I'll certainly look at that area. Also thank you everyone for your input.... Such a great forum!
snow conditions
d@spike.co.uk wrote:
Out ski holidays are about the whole experience and not just hitting the slope every day, food, wine, stopping to enjoy the vista's.... Just being

I'd be short listing the Arlberg. Depending on budget look to stay Stuben, Lech, Zurs or Warth for the smaller villages and St Anton if you want a much larger "village" (small town) to stay in. Lots of lovely mountain restaurants and great skiing!
latest report
Les Houches is a lovely little village in France!
11hr 30min drive from London, surrounding views of Mont-Blanc, 55km of well-maintained slopes which wind through the forests down low and are nice and open up top.
Les Houches is a pleasant little village which is old at heart. You have a unique church in the centre with chalets getting more and more modern the further out you get. The apres here does tend to be a bit quieter in the evening but there are a few bars and Chamonix is just 10-minutes away so you can enjoy the nightlife there if you choose too.
ski holidays
@Ski_Weekends, are you related to www.skiweekend.com?
snow conditions
Murren.
Klosters.
Kronplatz.
Alpbach.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy