Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Name labels on skis?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm sure this'll seem ridiculous to some, but does anyone label their skis (in an attempt to avoid confusion/accidental theft?).

If so - what do you use?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A sharpie has worked well for me in the past, usually have initials between toe and heel binding. Maybe a distinctive sticker towards the tip if that's your thing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also can help if you have specific tuning for each side.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A Snowheads sticker of course 😉
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you have a common ski model, such as skis from a large rental shop, where there could be hundreds of the same model which only differ in length, using a non-permanent marker certainly makes sense. Finding something that sticks and stays stuck on might be more difficult. I know I have tried stickers that appeared to be really sticky, but fell off within couple of days.

Maybe some duct tape and a sharpie.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Most race skis are labelled using permanent markers or an engraver. There are only a few brands so there will be a lot of identical looking skis at a race. Also helps when you have more than one pair, I have seen a technician in Tignes carrying skis labelled "JB #10".
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Am I going to be the only person to say that I bought heavy duty adhesive name labels?

Not just for my skis. Use them for all my work tools as well. They're nice... Laminated do ink doesn't wear off, clear, very sticky. Just say my name, phone number and email...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As a kid I used to graffiti my skis and boots with the names of my favourite bands.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Delavay hire shop in Les Gets has a bowl of labels and a sharpie marker free for customers to use to mark equipment - most useful for kids skis, boots, poles and helmets.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I always stick a piece of brightly coloured sticky back vinyl on either end of the ski. When you come out of a cafe and there are 300 hundred identical looking skis it makes spotting mine somewhat easier, I do the same with the poles too Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@king key, +1 I went for shinny holographic tape on mine but for exactly the same reason. My current skis have a "piste office" sticker on them which I hope helps me spot them
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have in the past used dymo tape, with a layer of nail varnish on top which worked OK. Now have got some "bicycle name labels" from ebay - got some for the bikes and had some spares for the shiny new off piste skis. I just think it means no-one can claim they are taking them by mistake.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@essex, +1 for snowhead stickers, have them on my skis permanently (along with an array of Chelsea FC stickers that are also adorned over mine and eldest daughters helmet, wife and youngest will not let me anywhere near their lids!!!!) and put them on the kids hire skis as well .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the suggestions. Sure I've got a dymo tape thing somewhere. Will have a look for bicycle name labels. Not sure about graffiti-ing my favourite band names though - what if Neil Diamond, Paul Simon or Nana Mouskouri are in town and take a shine to my skis?

Looks like I'll have to splash out on some snowheads stickers. It's probably about time.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I write initials on the tips with a water-resistant felt tip pen.
ski holidays
We have neon coloured ski ties so we always spot our really quickly.
latest report
Recently when renting skis they have labelled them with my initials without even being asked. One time I did ask and they just whipped out a roll of tape and a pen as if it was 100% normal. Not sure what tape they used, but it stuck to the skis like poo to a blanket.

Anyway, yes I think it's a great idea.
snow report
Duplicate - Deleted.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 20-01-17 14:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
have snowheads stickers on mine, haven't come off. Poles have little snowhead stickers, and helmet.
snow conditions
Having watched the inebriated masses at 4:30pm finding their skis outside an apres ski bar in Austria, I am now of the firm belief that no amount of writing, large signs above them with "these are not your skis" or other warnings are going to prevent somebody wandering off with your skis.

Just lock them up. The mistaken ski problem is easily avoided with a very small £10 ski lock, which to me is worth it for peace of mind. Honestly only a lock would have stopped the drunken bellends from wandering off with my Whitedots, they didn't even know what colour their skis were, and basically kept trying until they found some with bindings that they could clip into.
ski holidays
Separating your skis does stop them. Put one ski in one corner, the other in a different place.
snow report
Mine are labelled with snowhead stickers. But then so are everybody else's when I go skiing so not sure if it helps..
latest report
many years ago I had Olin skis, I had the bright idea of "sign writing" a C onto them so had personalised skis Very Happy
snow conditions
@RobinS, what colour nail varnish? shocking pink might suit.
snow report
My OH and I split our skis. He's nearly a foot taller with feet twice the size of mine. You'd need to be pretty lopsided to accidentally make off with our kit Very Happy
latest report
@Digger the dinosaur, is right. A cheapo lock does,the job
latest report
Just had a group of 50 students in Saalbach and we used Trespass ski wraps, which have a space to write names on.

They worked really well.

Gone are the days of "Can you help me find my skis? They're red ones!"
ski holidays
@ed123,
Quote:

@RobinS, what colour nail varnish? shocking pink might suit.

It would make them distinctive, however I used clear so my name shines through!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The second hand race skis I bought have the front of the plate painted in red and blue nail varnish, the bottles were also included in the tuning kit thrown in so I have kept it up.
snow report
I always know my skis by the cable lock that I always use to lock them up with! Bought it for 10 euros the day after bradders had his new skis nicked from outside the Hinterhag Alm. We'd split and exchanged skis, but they still sought out his other ski. (I was slightly insulted that they'd left mine).
ski holidays
I use these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Personalised-Bike-Frame-Name-Vinyl-Decal-Stickers-Any-Flag-Cycle-Bicycle-Helmet-/291828943007?var=&hash=item43f25c489f:m:mqVEJevd4KGPUmiVL0t-nCQ - on all my sons kit. At ski races many kids have the same skis, helmets, etc, so very easy to pick up the wrong kit. They have good longevity. I've started to put them on my kit.
latest report
Quote:

Honestly only a lock would have stopped the drunken bellends from wandering off with my Whitedots, they didn't even know what colour their skis were, and basically kept trying until they found some with bindings that they could clip into.

Quote:

Mine are labelled with snowhead stickers. But then so are everybody else's when I go skiing so not sure if it helps..

Kicking out time at the Plan Boe????? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
skitech wrote:
many years ago I had Olin skis, I had the bright idea of "sign writing" a C onto them so had personalised skis Very Happy

olinc is an unusual name Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy