Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Five myths about skiing that are completely wrong!!

Poster: A snowHead
from the Daily Torygraph:

Myth #1: You should stretch before skiing and snowboarding
Myth #2: Ski boots should hurt
Myth #3: It’s always good to ski or snowboard with people better than you
Myth #4: Bending the body up and down or side to side will help you turn
Myth #5: You shouldn't ski or snowboard if you’ve got back pain

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/advice/five-ski-myths-that-are-completely-false/

Over to you snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
#1 Hmm will put Wozzer Smith out of business - I'd say at least get warm but a walk in kit maybe does it a lot of the time
#2 Yup myth
#3 Depends
#4 Never even heard that as a theory
#5 You get back pain as an output having it as an input probably doesn't make any difference
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1. A warm-up, including a stretch can be a good thing, but not essential.

2. They shouldn't, but sometimes do.

3. Never trust an answer which includes the word "always".

4. It depends.

5. It depends.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well #4 sounds good to me, upper body vertical and more or less facing down hill while legs/hips bend side to side.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
essex wrote:
Well #4 sounds good to me, upper body vertical and more or less facing down hill while legs/hips bend side to side.
But not always, especially the part about the upper body facing down the slope. It depends on the kinds of turns you are making.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
6. Good skiers are Telegraph readers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I disagree with the stretching one - there is a reason sports stars stretch before sports. It is not required but it will help BUT you need to stretch after a short warm up and its better to do dynamic stretching which makes it hards as if you do it before you get your skis on you will get cold and once your skies are on its difficult. Best way is just to start with nice easy slopes and slowly get harder.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They ought to add a further myth, Number 6: It is incredible dangerous, you will break at least one bone on every trip, probably die on the slope too.......

How many times in 30 odd years skiing have I heard how dangerous it is, usually from non skiers.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1. Mobility always before riding, stretch after you finish.
2. Why.....oh because the person that sold you wrong boots said so to cover his/ her sorry ar*s
3. Depends if your out to better your technique or have a fun time.
4. Along with correct leg and foot movements.
5. Top yourself up with Diazepam, Diclofenac and Codein and it's all good.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@boredsurfin, hmmm.... re 1 'warming up' - often associated with the idea that one needs to 'warm up our muscles'. Swedish research suggests that this is quite wrong. Swedes did research on tennis, and then later research has been done on football players:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0051568

It all seems to be about balance and switching on perception. Warm up increases acuity and facility in balance. Bad balance causes injury. So ...warm up important, but not for the reasons generally assumed.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
valais2 wrote:
It all seems to be about balance and switching on perception. Warm up increases acuity and facility in balance. Bad balance causes injury. So ...warm up important, but not for the reasons generally assumed.
We do a quick warm-up, including dynamic stretching, for our all-day clinics at the indoor slope at Hemel Hempstead. There is an obvious positive effect for the reasons you quote.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On of the BBC programmes and the tests they did "Trust me I'm a doctor" said stretching did improve your flexibility but actually decreased performance!

I agree with "warming up" but not stretching. Warming up could be a gentler run before hammering down a black, or walking to the lift at a decent pace to raise your HR a little!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1KJ00p75YTTLnB5SNyPT86q/does-stretching-before-exercise-do-any-good
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kitenski, My warm up these days is getting me boots on, then staggering down the stairs and getting to the lift for a nice well deserved sit down snowHead
As I get older lifts are increasingly looked forward too...... for a rest Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1. There is a lot of mixed views on stretching before exercise, much coming down against and also mixed views on the amount and affect of warm up.

When I played rugby I didn't do any stretching and just pretended if shouted at. I also did as little warm up as I could get away with on the basis that I only had a limited amount of puff and didn't want to look good at the warmup and then start blowing in the last 15.

2. My skiboots don't hurt.

3. I think it's better to ski with people roughly the same as you keep together and don't get frustrated.

5. I get back pain but skiing doesn't make it any worse.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
1. I thought the general argument about stretching before sports was that it helped avoid muscle strains, cramps and tears? Not sure that's generally much of a problem with skiing/boarding though is it? Probably best to just do a few gentle greens and blues at the start of the day to warm up before bombing straight down the black.

2. Skiboots shouldn't "hurt" but beginners should be aware that they're never going to be as comfortable as normal boots or snowboard boots. Beginners often make the mistake of choosing boots which are too big in the hire shop because they feel a bit more comfortable.

3. Skiing with people of a similar standard (or speed) is best.
snow conditions
Heard a kid booting up few years ago ask her mother "when can i get new ski boots?".
Mother: when these boots stop hurting 😃
latest report
SlipnSlide wrote:
1. I thought the general argument about stretching before sports was that it helped avoid muscle strains, cramps and tears? Not sure that's generally much of a problem with skiing/boarding though is it? Probably best to just do a few gentle greens and blues at the start of the day to warm up before bombing straight down the black.

Tough on a powder day though - snooze you lose and all that*

* This is why I typically get half a run of "epic bro!" then spend 20 minutes extracting myself from a drift
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

* This is why I typically get half a run of "epic bro!" then spend 20 minutes extracting myself from a Marmotte hole

FIFY.
snow conditions
Whenever I've been coned into doing a warm-up before the main event I usually find I'm totally knackered for the main event itself!
latest report
@boredsurfin,
2. Except when you've just had them fitted and until you've spend a hour skiing in the fridge to bed them in
snow report
geepee wrote:

FIFY.

Oh I spend far more than 20 minutes when I visit my furry compatriots in the Kingdom.
snow report
1. Excessive drinking improves wedling.
2. France has the best instructors. NehNeh
3. Skiing is only for the elite.
4. Skiing is a winter activity. ( go on how many put their skis away end of April/May and then count the days till Nov/Dec?)
5. I/we don't need lessons anymore.
ski holidays
#3 really depends on how you ski with the people that are better than you. If you ski behind them and try to observe their technique then it can be beneficial. I know that my skiing has developed from skiing with better people, but that may not work for others.

However it's definitely important that you know when to call it a day. The other week I was skiing with @Scarpa amongst the trees of Zauchensee on a powder day. I'm not an experienced off piste skier (not particularly experienced on piste either) and my technique goes to pot if things get too steep, soft and narrow. I can happily ski each of those categories on their own, and sometimes as a pair, but the combination of all three is a struggle at the minute. So at the end of a fairly lengthy run, in which I had great fun but fell a lot, I decided to retire to a hut for a break and spend the rest of the day pootling around the pistes. If I'd continued with it then it would only have held the others up and possibly lead to an injury for me.
latest report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
#3 really depends on how you ski with the people that are better than you. If you ski behind them and try to observe their technique then it can be beneficial. I know that my skiing has developed from skiing with better people, but that may not work for others.

It's controversial because it doesn't work for all but if you are a visual learner and a bit of a mimic there can be no substitute for lots of mileage in the company of better skiers (course you have to pick the "right" better skiers).
snow conditions
geepee wrote:

* This is why I typically get half a run of "epic bro!" then spend 20 minutes extracting myself from a Marmotte hole

FIFY.

geepee wrote:

FIFY.

Oh I spend far more than 20 minutes when I visit my furry compatriots in the Kingdom.

snow report
I always find that skiing with people better than me improves my skiing
latest report
8 out of 10 snowheads agree on everything.
snow conditions
@spyderjon, hilarious photo! If that hole swallowed up his legs, which are not short, imagine if it had been me. Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@spyderjon, I did enjoy that little tour we did where you showed me all the places that @Dave of the Marmottes had visited his kind Laughing I'd definitely be up for that again.
snow conditions
valais2 wrote:

As a little experiment, I've just done some yoga balances, from completely not warmed-up. I also do them in the gym, warmed up. Zero difference that I could tell. The paper you quoted claimed improvements in balance but not large ones.
snow report
halfhand wrote:

I've never read such rubbish.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
On of the BBC programmes and the tests they did "Trust me I'm a doctor" said stretching did improve your flexibility but actually decreased performance!

Yes, hence "stretch what you strengthen and strengthen what you stretch".

I do flexibility work but I don't think it improves my skiing performance. It might reduce the chances of injury in a fall. But mostly I stretch because I am more comfortable being flexible.
snow conditions
If it is a myth that is wrong does that make it a fact?
snow conditions
Quote:
Myth #3: It’s always good to ski or snowboard with people better than you

So that's buuggerd it for 50% of us...
latest report
davidof wrote:
If it is a myth that is wrong does that make it a fact?
no. A lot of people think that, but it's just a myth Very Happy
latest report
halfhand wrote:

I don't remember typing that although I had been to Brewdog Liverpool and The Swan for a few beers Confused
latest report
Scarlet wrote:
@spyderjon, I did enjoy that little tour we did where you showed me all the places that @Dave of the Marmottes had visited his kind Laughing I'd definitely be up for that again.

I am wondering if the stains on his pants where the marmottes had expressed their pleasure at his visit have washed out yet Puzzled

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 20-01-17 16:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Myth #198: You'd be so much better if you'd have learned when you were a kid. No, you'd probably be just as awful as you are now, only for longer. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
You'll have to come on the EOSB to find out (temptation to spell differently surpressed)
ski holidays
valais2 wrote:

I guess it varies from person to person but I find that for a sport that requires a lot of balance warming up helps me a lot. I generally warm up doing the sport itself but at low intensity / speed.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy