Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap places to eat in the three Valleys?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

We're off to val thorens for the 28th and my friend is trying to watch his money a bit and possibly pop back home for some lunches. I'm sure some days we'll be in the area but I also don't want this to stop us just going out in the morning and not coming back until the last lift as we're all reasonably good skiers and finally not in a big group. Also given the area is so big it's a shame not to just go wherever whenever and soak up the atmosphere at lunch.

Anyway, just wanted some ideas for places for cheap (or not expensive) eats for lunch anywhere at all across the whole space?

And maybe for evenings in val t?

Obviously courchevel may be a different story,

Many thanks Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At the EoSB I ended up in the noodle bar by the knife & fork restaurant in VT for lunch most days. Good portions of nice takeaway rice or noodle dishes for about 7 euros. Although it did help that Admin had organised a deal for snowheads. Everywhere else I've been has been quite expensive unfortunately.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Last time we were there we found a decent, though smallish restaurant in the row of shops down in la Tania, can't remember it's name, but it was (for France at least) quite reasonable. Failing that, if your on a budget, take sandwiches on four days and treat yourselves on the other days. We often do that. There was a new picnic shelter above VT towards the link to meribel that was a good addition. Not exactly a Varmstuga (cozy cabin) but it is sheltered at least.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh, and there's a place on the run down to Meribel Villages (just after the golf course/altiport) that you should definitely avoid. Went in there because the view was great and it was getting late, ended up spending 30 euros on a coke and some noodle & beef dish. I was okay but drastically over priced I'd rather have had tartiflette tbh.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Second the noodle bar. Hubby and I ate there a couple of times last year. There's a place in one of the shopping malls possibly in Les Menuires that people have talked about too, but I've not been.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pub le Ski Lodge in La Tania maybe what you are thinking about. Burgers etc. Over in Meribel Village, the Lodge du Village (which used to be owned by the same Brit who owns the Ski Lodge) has always done good value pizzas and paninis. You ski to the bottom on Meribel Village, take skis off, walk across the car park and it's on the other side of the roundabout - Good place to sit in the sun on a mild day, or to eat indoors on the snowy day after a ski down the run Lapin in the trees.
For a lovely lunch in Courchevel 1650, we always try and make a bee line for the Arc en Ciel...again not on the piste but on the road behind in the village. Very cosy inside, and does lovely huge salads and pizzas. Probably mid price, but always worth the trip.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would endorse the pique nique suggestion. There's now a picnic room at the top of the Orelle Valley & 1 at the bottom of Cairn lift in Val Thorens; or for sunny/mild days picnic tables at the top of Moutiere chair. In Mottaret there's a (very nice) new picnic room under the bottom station of Pas du Lac gondola. And in Meribel there's a picnic room at the top of the entry ramp of the bottom station of the Saulire Express at Chaudanne. And finally, in Courchevel there's a picnic room in the bottom station of the Saulire cable car.

Failing those, there's a nice piste side restaurant (Pierre something or other) on the Verdons run (just above Courchevel 1850) where you can have a truffle pizza for €63! Shocked We spotted that on the menu yesterday but decided to give it a miss as it was thin base & not deep pan.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you ski through peak lunch times there's a good late lunch place in Les Menuires. L'Ours Blanc, signposted down a small track, part way down the piste below the Doron lift. One of the best lunch places in 3V. Does very good reduced price menu after 2pm. Lovely terrace on sunny days.
Also the Table de Mairie in Courchevel 1650 is good value. In side street just alongside main gondola base station.
Neither of these places I'd say were cheap...but reasonable for 3V.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Les Deux Lacs is my favorite. I'm there a fair amount. All the restaurants above les menuires are my second favourite.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This page from the La Tania website lists cheap places in the Three Valleys and may be useful (although it is based on 2016 prices: http://www.latania.co.uk/resort/vfm.html. The website also says that the Montana Hotel does a buffet lunch for around 15 Euros.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
At the top of the Castor & Pollux magic carpet (the highest magic carpet) there's an outdoor food place, aptly named "SKI FOOD". It's just next to the skidoo rental place.

Croque Monsieur (toasted ham and cheese baguette) = €5
Can of Heineken = €5

Lunch of champions!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
L'Alti Food in VT does a pretty good pizza for not too many euros.
Le Zig-Zag in Mottaret is always a favourite lunch spot. Never look at the actual menu. Always just have the 'skiers menu' and it's always great.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's a cheap take away near the top of the upper magic carpet in Val Thorens. From the Meribel direction, head down plein sud and keep left, cross the road as soon as you can. If you miss the turning you'll come out opposite the 2 lacs chair and you can take the two magic carpets up through the nursery slopes. If that has a queue, walk down the street to its right and there's a kebab / pizza shop. (Edit: I see @letsgetpiste beat me too it. I'm describing Ski Food.)

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 19-01-17 13:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The bakery downstairs in the forum in Courchevel 1850 is good for a baguette and a drink. It has a ski rack and tables and chairs. It's also warm!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The bakery downstairs in the forum in Courchevel 1850 is good for a baguette and a drink. It has a ski rack and tables and chairs. It's also warm!
snow report
Quote:

Second the noodle bar
Third

Quote:

Warmly seconded. Delicious and excellent value.
latest report
Yet another for the Noodle Bar
Check it out ..
"Wok Ski Val Thorens"
Try the Tom Yum ...its Yummy!
ski holidays
Thanks so much. Appreciate it.

Also we are driving to Val on sat 29th and I have a 4x4 (I know that doesn't help going down hill) with two sets of chains but summer tires. Snow is forecast (maybe) but I'm more worried if it's not bad enough for chains but still cold and icy or falling snow.

At the risk of taking some of the abuse on the other threads about these things, any thoughts? Do they salt the road, is it an Okay road?

Hope to get to moutiers for 9am ish for some shopping and then beat the traffic jams if it's snowing but any ideas welcome. We cross in the tunnel about 11/12 the night before. All ideas welcome.
ski holidays
The burger place at the bottom of the runs in La Tania was very good (I believe it's called Chrome), around EUR 10 for burger, chips and a beer

Restaurant Bouc Blanc above La Tania had a great plat du jour and was pretty cheap

this link looks useful http://www.latania.co.uk/resort/vfm.html
snow report
+1 for the Chrome Bar in La Tania; their burger/beer/chips deal was the best value for money we experienced last year. Haven't tried many of the other options suggested - but will endeavour to do so next week! 😜
snow report
There's a café/sandwich bar behind the lift stations in Meribel village. Courchevel side. Good value and seats outside.

La Tania seemed good value too generally
latest report
I think first person is anti noodle and 2 and 3 are pro, v. Confused.

Thanks all and thanks for the link tripowski v. Useful.
snow report
intermediate wrote:
If you ski through peak lunch times there's a good late lunch place in Les Menuires. L'Ours Blanc, signposted down a small track, part way down the piste below the Doron lift. One of the best lunch places in 3V. Does very good reduced price menu after 2pm.

I did not know, well ignore all other advice and take this, fantastic food and vast quantities during the full price time. You may not be able to walk afterwards.
snow conditions
Whenever this question comes up, I always give the same answer.

If you want to eat/drink at a fair (though to be honest not really cheap) on the mountain in 1850 then the Courcheneige on the side of the bellecotte piste.

Beer and food is good value and always tasty, great views, easy to get to/from.
ski holidays
The Courcheneige has changed hands this year - and I think has gone more upmarket. For which read more expensive. Sad
ski holidays
the spyderjon solution we perfected the last year or so is the baguette ding. Certain cafeterias have microwaves - parma ham, salami etc plus the stinkiest cheese you can find - 30 secs. Skiing is about skiing not lunching - it'd be called a lunching holiday.
snow report
Also a picnic 'hut' at the base of la Masse in Les Menuires which has a microwave and drinks machines.
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
the spyderjon solution we perfected the last year or so is the baguette ding. Certain cafeterias have microwaves - parma ham, salami etc plus the stinkiest cheese you can find - 30 secs. Skiing is about skiing not lunching - it'd be called a lunching holiday.

Or a Cruise.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
letsgetpiste wrote:
At the top of the Castor & Pollux magic carpet (the highest magic carpet) there's an outdoor food place, aptly named "SKI FOOD". It's just next to the skidoo rental place.

Croque Monsieur (toasted ham and cheese baguette) = €5
Can of Heineken = €5

Lunch of champions!!

+1 for the above, burgers were also excellent. Behind ESF is a fancy restaurant, but they also have a hatch which serves excellent sarnies. Also tried Wok ski at 360 mine was fine but the mrs repeated on her all day and night.
latest report
ecureuil wrote:
The Courcheneige has changed hands this year - and I think has gone more upmarket. For which read more expensive. Sad

Oh dear, was always a favourite stop for us.
latest report
there's no table service for drinks, you either queue outside or inside for them

hot choc is now 6 euros!

apparently they upped the pizza price considerably after the first few weeks of the season too.

We still stopped off there for a mid-morning drink though
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy