Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sweat bags - which gloves

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Something coming out of the -20 thread ... glove quality. We have vast piles of gloves and it's interesting as to which ones I and the kids tend to use. My gloves get wet from the inside out, as do my daughter's, by lunchtime my gloves can be quite damp inside and thus my hands can get really chilled. I bought some black diamond freestyle gloves with their b-dry membrane. Horrible sweat bags. Hands freezing after two hours. My current favourites are some nordbo refrigeration workers gloves - made by hestra - no membrane, goat skin, fleece inner. I also like the non-membrane deep pile ME randonee glove, and the Marmot equivalent. In other words I now favour deep pile non membrane leather gloves,
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am still looking. I run hot and a pair of gloves doesn't last long as the smell dictates that they have to go in the bin !
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have you tried (slightly oversized) outer gloves with two pairs of fleece goves for inners? You use one at a time, and swap them over at lunch, thus replacing the wet inner with a new, warm and dry one.
I always keep a second fleece inner set with me, though I only have to swap them every now and then (can depend on a number of factors). Can also be useful is you lose a gove - will get you to the ski shop, at least.

Fleece gloves hardly take up space in a pocket and dry really quickly in the evening. The ones I use aren't meant to be inners/liners, so any will probably do.

Obviously if what you use works, there's no need to switch, but it's an alternative method that might work for somed. Little Angel
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@skanky, good idea ... not tried this approach and think I will
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In 1995 my local outdoor shop supplied me with some Ami Chaud gore-tex gloves, preparing to live in -20C. Other than not having wrist closure drawstrings, they were perfect up until 2 yrs ago when I lost one. Now bought some similar Spyder gore-tex ones to replace them. Not sure I've tried them below -5 or so.

Canada 2000, saw some relatively cheap membrane gloves with removable fleece inners, stamped Canadian Ski/snowboard Assoc (or what have you). Bought 2 pairs, one for me, one for son. Awful, I was always wet-handed from sweat by lunchtime. Think I've given them away since.

For some years I'd wear thin fleece Gore Wind-Stopper (not Tex) gloves in very cold places not for skiing, they were awesome. Gradually they wore through and had to be binned Sad Never really found a replacement (don't need one now I don't live in Arctic temps).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Taken fron the other post - can't praise these gloves highly enough. Non membrane and pile lining.

I gave up on membrane gloves a while ago and ski in the Mountain Equipment Randonee glove. Designed mainly for winter climbing they are approx £55, have a goatskin palm and fingers, Schoeller softshell and a pile lining. This means that you can get them wet, wring them out and within 5 - 10 minutes they will be warm and drying out on your hand. Saying that I've found that they stay much dryer than membrane gloves as the breathability is vastly superior.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This might sound really dumb but... Have you considered doing away with traditional ski gloves?

I have Petzl belay gloves (leather palm side, cordura the other) which have no thermal properties but are very grippy and strong, and well ventilated.

And each year I buy some cotton or silk glove liners. I have arcteryx ones at the moment and they're good.

If it's cold - glove liner inside Petzl glove. If it's warm, just Petzl glove. I also get sweaty paedo hands in normal gloves and this combo has been perfect since I started doing it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
valais2 wrote:
@skanky, good idea ... not tried this approach and think I will

snowHead

I'm sure it won't work for everyone, but it works well enough for me to think it worth a try. I hope you find it useful.

Nb the "liner" gloves are cheap polartech type. Different types might work better/worse depending.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy