Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Average cost of 1 week

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys

I just wanted to get a consensus of how much you pay on average for a weeks skiing including flights, transfers, lift passes and equipment rentals.

Last year I done a week B&B in Morzine for £880 from Gatwick

This year I have got Self Catering in La Plagne for £850 for next Saturday through CrystalSki

I try and look around but that's about as cheap as I can get for a half decent resort, any tips?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is that for just yourself or the per person price for a group?

I have just paid around that for a week HB at a 2* hotel in Soldeu including pass and skis.

If you are a single person then the Bashes could work out cheaper http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewforum.php?f=31 you could go on one of those for less than £850
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's each for me and my girlfriend. Last year it was a group of 5.

I'm looking at going again in a few months, I might check the bashes out then, alternatively I was looking at 'SnowWorks' who offer week long courses.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Last year we paid £760 for a week in Niederau, This year £970 for a week in Neustift.

Departing 1st week Feb both times, both time in 4* Hotels with Half board, Hotels both have spa facilities but both Niederau and Neustift are cheaper resorts with not a huge amount of Nightlife.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Last year we went for a week in a catered chalet in L2A with Neilson. So food (-1 night), flights, transfers, ski hire and pass came to about £850 each.

This year. Neilson again, catered chalet in Montgenevre, 1 week. This time with lessons thrown in on the above was £900 each.

Cheapest self catering option I found for two was about £600-700 each. Then have to throw cost of food on top of that and actually having to cook it or go out every night.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@JordanJSY, book last minute, you'll get a good deal.

For example next week:

self catering La Plagne £329 (Igluski)
Catered - the alpaca, Tignes £459 (do I recall it's no longer run by a SH?) (Igluski)

All the big companies will have self catered for a week in the £3-400 range, spend the rest eating out for a week. Decent enough half board hotel for around £600 and you can pick where the snow is good.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rogg, I only booked this morning. I was looking last week for this week and it was much cheaper but Crystal's cheapest in La Plagne was what I got.

I checked Igluski and their cheapest were Chalets as far as I could see? Self catering was more expensive. Either way this isn't to moan I'm happy paying that I just wanted to make sure I wasn't cluelessly paying too much!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last January I paid £500 + food in Chatel. That was by myself too.

Christmas (3 weeks ago) I paid £550 + food in Flaine in VERY nice SC accommodation.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
[quote="rogg"]@JordanJSY, book last minute, you'll get a good deal.

For example next week:

self catering La Plagne £329 (Igluski)
Catered - the alpaca, Tignes £459 (do I recall it's no longer run by a SH?) (Igluski)

stayed there 2 years ago. rooms basic but beds comfy, plenty of hot water, food great, no real communal chalet sitting area but great bar. Skival run it now
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You're not really asking about average, are you. You want to know the least possible. I reckon you're paying a hell of a lot, personally.

Least possible would be BA flights at £45 each way to GVA; transfers to Morzine or Grand Massif €40 each way (as they're close to the airport). Apartment in central Morzine for £35 per night for the two of you. That's £300 each. Add £75 for ski hire, lift pass for £225. So £600 total.

No need to worry about food as you'd have to pay for that if you were at home...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you live near Southend, you can get to Morzine/Chamonix and back for £60 (hand luggage only).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I might start a 'who paid the most for a weeks skiing' thread......
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@James the Last, Nope I don't want to know cheapest possible but just want to see what other people pay for similar standard holidays. Unfortunately for me I have a fairly fussy girlfriend who cant stand long transfers or being further than 100m from a lift...haha
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mikeycharlton, I live in Jersey so have to fly to Gatwick and then onwards from there.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That might be Masque when he lapsed his insurance and broke his leg.

I have to go in holidays and want room to swing a cat and nice facilities , my wife prefers flying and private transfers and we eat out pretty much every day, and full 3 valleys passes for 4. I don't know if I want to add it all up.
ski holidays
If you ski anywhere from the UK ( unless you live in Aviemore or Fort William etc) and spend less than £100 per adult per ski day all in you are doing exceptionally well. Obviously if you're prepared to hitch, live in a rabbit hutch, snide the lifts and eat out of bins it can be done cheaper.
latest report
mikeycharlton wrote:
If you live near Southend, you can get to Morzine/Chamonix and back for £60 (hand luggage only).

Southend to Geneva or Chambery?
snow conditions
It's not just a question of total cost but total value.
We do 10 days skiing for about £12k all in for a family of 6 - that seems a lot unless you look at the value:
Direct flights
3 x nights in lovely hotel with a Michelln star restaurant
7 x nights in a very nice 3 bedroomed (self-catered) chalet
2 full-time guides for 7 days
6 x half-days ski school for 4 kids
Ski passes
Private transfers airport to resort, transfer to 2nd resort, and back to airport
Plenty of eating out and drinking
In Switzerland!

The point being if you DIY and know what you are doing you can get great value not just cheap cost. If we cut the ski guides and ski school that would nearly half the cost for example.
ski holidays
@ansta1, I agree, most if not all of mine have been in the thousands rather than hundreds Cool
ski holidays
@mikeycharlton, It is amost that much on transfers from home to the departure airport and from the arival to the resort.

@Dave of the Marmottes, by driving down over night, Friday, and returning after skiing on the Saturday gives 8 days skiing, self cater and it is actually quite easy to get below £100 per day (less than £800 per person)
latest report
Depends on how many are in the group and when you ski. Mid-late January can be cheap, same for late March/early April if it doesn't clash with Easter.

In 7 trips I've not spent more than a grand on a skiing trip all in. First trip was £455pp s/c (flights, transfers, lift pass, rental) to La Plagne. Went to the 3V last Christmas and had a 4 person apartment on my own, think that came in at about £850 by the time I included food, probably the most I've spent on a trip.

Snowheads bashes have changed things a bit for me, went to Livigno on one last year and then to the EoSB. Both good value and I'm doing the same trips this year too.

As @zikomo, says it depends on the value of the trip too. My main aim of a skiing holiday is to ski (I like apres and nice accommodation, but it doesn't ruin the trip for me), so I'm happy to stay pretty anywhere if it's cheap and the skiing is good.
ski holidays
zikomo wrote:
3 x nights in lovely hotel with a Michelln star restaurant

No more disappointing way to eat at the best of times, let alone when on a skiing holiday... Skullie

JordanJSY wrote:
@James the Last, Nope I don't want to know cheapest possible but just want to see what other people pay for similar standard holidays. Unfortunately for me I have a fairly fussy girlfriend who cant stand long transfers or being further than 100m from a lift...haha
Crystal is the bargain basement, and self catering is the bottom of that barrel. An expensive way of booking a holiday, IMO.
snow report
PowderAdict wrote:
@ansta1, I agree, most if not all of mine have been in the thousands rather than hundreds Cool

Indeed I think last seasons 1 week in Val may have run into double figures for my lot all told when you add it all up. Hey ho it's only money.
snow conditions
Circa £1510/per person - Fully inclusive!

ie Flights, Transfers, Lift pass, ski instruction (6 days), breakfast, lunch, tea, supper, drinks, ski hire - £10 tip to ski instructor
snow conditions
DanFuller wrote:
mikeycharlton wrote:

Geneva.

Last time I looked they were £25 each way (on the cheapest days)

Easybus from Geneva to either Morzine or Chamonix can cost as little as £5 each way.
snow conditions
Here's a run down of mine so far (all-in price including travel/lift pass/ski hire/food):

Morzine Jan 2016:
£1040: chalet with 8 others, half board (outside company catered for us), included 7.5 hours of tuition

Tignes April 2016:
£900: TO package with one other person, no tuition, half board.

Val d'Isere Dec 2016:
£530: UCPA (solo trip, shared room with 5 others). All food included (sadly no alcohol), tuition. Mega value!

St Anton Jan 2017 (next week!):
£1200 est.: self catered ski in/out chalet with 12 others.
snow report
Try with children in half term........ 11/12 feb departure... go on I dare you.
latest report
I usually budget £1,000 to include flights, accommodation, transfers/hire car, lift pass, spending money, airport parking. When the exchange rate was better £800 was easy, this year definitely not.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

This Feb in Westendorf (Ski Welt) for 2 adults, 2 kids (11,8 )
..£690 per person self drive including return Eurotunnel flexiplus frequent traveller to avoid queues, estimated petrol, self catering apartment, stopover hotel on way out, lift pass and premium ski hire. No tuition needed Cool

Apartment is just about walkable to the lifts, but we have a car so can drive to any of the base stations in the area.
snow conditions
ansta1 wrote:

That would probably land me a court appearance.
ski holidays
mikeycharlton wrote:
DanFuller wrote:
mikeycharlton wrote:

Geneva.

Last time I looked they were £25 each way (on the cheapest days)

Easybus from Geneva to either Morzine or Chamonix can cost as little as £5 each way.

That is decent. That's my destination set for next year.
snow report
Feb half term family of four driving to Les Arcs, ski hire, lift passes, lessons (all day for kids, half day for wife and I), euro tunnel, hotel stopover on way and also on return, parking and fuel £3400. This doesn't include any food or beer and wine. We have rented a self catered apartment so we'll have a few meals in. All in it will be under £4000.
latest report
The EoSB @ £444 inc s/c posh apart (5 metres from the piste... to the ski room Toofy Grin ) and lift pass.
Transfer ~£50, Flight ~£75, Ski Hire ~£50
Food 50-100€ for the week +50€ if you fancy a special treat in a Michelin 2* restaurant Cool
I make that about £750 all in...
Not bad for something that has elicited the feedback "That was my best ski holiday, ever!" more times than I can remember Little Angel

btw. this is not a late deal: that's full price.

Given how many snowHeads are on this, it's got to affect the average a bit Wink
snow conditions
Crystal are doing Planibel in La Thuile sunday 29th for £241 pp from Gatwick (based on 2). Lift passes £178, ski hire can be had £99 (or £80).

It's been on offer for over a week - can't understand why it's not being snapped up.
ski holidays
Someone was complaining on another thread recently that they keep seeing offers by Crystal and when they try to book them, it proves to be just an excuse to try to sell them something else. Perhaps this is one of those?
ski holidays
In the past I have aimed for around 750 to 800 ish including flights, transfers, ski carriage, lift passes and catered to some extent. Have always managed to hit that TARGET and usually with TO. DIY is trickier from Scotland with less direct flights etc
snow conditions
@admin, yep, they're very good at having a really good priced deal but when you click through the options you get told that the accommodation is full and they offer something twice the price. Neat marketing trick as you've planted the idea of 'skiing holiday' in the mind of potential customers.

I still don't mind them though, they offer some really cheap weeks and (certainly at the budget s/c end of things) you pretty much know what to expect. Before I embraced the idea of a Bash they were pretty much my first port of call for cheap skiing.
snow conditions
admin wrote:
Someone was complaining on another thread recently that they keep seeing offers by Crystal and when they try to book them, it proves to be just an excuse to try to sell them something else. Perhaps this is one of those?

It just comes up in the standard search and you can go through and book it so it does exist. We were going to go there after visiting La Thuile 2nd/3rd January and finding the snow much much better than in france, but then got seduced by a week in Mayrhofen for not much more.
latest report
crumbs. I'm amazed at the amounts people are shelling out. Makes me feel very poor*
for example:
Quote:
Feb half term family of four driving to Les Arcs £4,000

To drive to the south of France for self catering. Blimey.

I might be in for a shock this year, but we've managed 3 out of the last four years for between £500 and £600 per person. Including everything apart from ski insurance.

* in a first world kind of way.
snow report
andyrew wrote:
Crystal are doing Planibel in La Thuile sunday 29th for £241 pp from Gatwick (based on 2). Lift passes £178, ski hire can be had £99 (or £80).

It's been on offer for over a week - can't understand why it's not being snapped up.

On a coach?

So, with passes and flying is £1096 for 2 self catering in a quiet week? Not a super deal really.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy