Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dynafit ski crampons.

Poster: A snowHead
I am changing my touring set up, and instead of Radical ST will be using Dynafit Beasts 14. I know, I am gaining about 200 grams per foot as a result, but I am also getting rid of this awful feel of skiing in high-heels, so trade-off seems good. Will I be able to use the same ski crampons with new bindings?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dynafit crampons fit all models (and Marker Kingpin)
The beast will ski much flatter, but the touring position is a bit higher.....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@never summer, Depending the amount of rocker on the sole of your ski boots, you will probably find you get less penetration of the crampon due to the higher toe on the Beast 14. You certainly will if using the heel risers.

I found I needed to add a strip of plastic on top of the crampon to restore the penetration.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 16-01-17 13:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Excellent, thank you guys! Will keep it in mind re possible issues with crampons. I am on Dynafit Mercury and they are my first AT boots so have no reference point with respect of amount of rocker. "Ski flatter" - I certainly like the sound of it. The way Radicals ski whenever I need to ski the piste is scary. Feels like I would tumble every time I try to flex my ankles.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PowderAdict wrote:
......you will probably find you get less penetration of the crampon due to the higher toe on the Beast 14. You certainly will if using the heel risers......

Nope.

Toe pin height on a Beast 14 is 3.5mm less than on a Rad (1) ST.

The first climbing riser on the Beast heel is 42.5mm high & the second riser is 75mm versus 57mm & 80mm respectively on the Rad 1.

So basically you'll get more crampon engagement with the Beast 14 than a Rad 1 when used with either of their risers. You'd would get more engagement with the Rad 1 when in flat mode but as the Beast doesn't have an official flat mode then it can't really be compared.

However, don't forget the flat mode 'cheat' on the Beast heel by rubber banding the brakes up & rotating the heels inwards 90 degrees.

The delta angle on the Beast 14 is 7mm versus 16mm'ish on the Rad 1 so you'll feel a huge improvement on the down. And if you want even less delta then the B14/Rad 2 toe is easy to shim up (I run a 4mm shim under mine).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The flat mode cheat is something I've only recently learnt about after many hours of awkward/painful touring along flat valley bottoms. I wish I'd known about this cheatmode sooner!

Although I defer to the vast technical expertise of @spyderjon, isn't the real comparison between the 1st riser on the Beast (the flattest official position of the Beast) and the flat mode of the Rad 1? When out and about in the Beast 14, unless you know in advance that you'll really need the full bite of the ski crampon you'll probably not be in the flat cheatmode as you'll generally be heading uphill and it's faff going into cheatmode unless really necessary.

Times when I've really wanted my ski crampons to work (and they've worked noticably worse than others on Rads ahead of me) I've been on the first riser in the Beast 14s and (not that I've tried it having only just learnt about it) I think it would have been nearly be impossible and def not safe to try and switch into cheat mode on the fly. Those on other setups were easily able to switch down to flat mode and get better purchase. At least, this is my excuse Smile (and I suppose you could as a matter of course always use cheatmode whenever you think skicrampons may be needed, but I tend to lack this foresight rolling eyes ).

All this being said, these situations don't occur that often - most of the time it doesn't make that much difference (and the Beast 14 more than makes up for it most of the time).

@PowderAdict, I would be interested to see how your plastic strip works?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@recz, it's a standard DIY mod to add a spacer to Dynafit crampons - they even have two predrilled fixing holes for attaching them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks @spyderjon, that's what those holes are for! Very useful to know.

Do people tend to make their own? Best resourse I can find on this is: http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=30156.0 but think I might try something a bit firmer than foam.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Useful to know it's possible to cheat and get the flat mode. Will it not damage the bindings though?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads

@recz, I didn't understand how soft foam would work well on crampons, unless is it much firmer that it looks. I made my own plastic strips from kitchen chopping board. This is the ideal material as it is designed to withstand being repeatedly cut with a sharp knife, so can take plenty of abuse. It is also relatively light and easy to work with. I had to drill new holes as the pre-drilled ones are too far back to meet with the front section of the sole on my boots.

In use they work well with the Beast 16 in the first riser position, but could be made even thicker to cause greater penetration.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
never summer wrote:
Useful to know it's possible to cheat and get the flat mode. Will it not damage the bindings though?

No but you must turn the bindings inwards face to face each as unless you're on really wide skis the rear of the heel will overhang the side of the side & they could snag on each other when striding.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@PowderAdict, thanks for the info. Had the same concerns about using foam.

Did you do anything to prevent the underside of the screws from damaging the ski, or does this not happen in practice?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@recz, The head height on the bolts is reduced by being located in the dip of the channel. In any case the crampon is never pressed flat against the ski by the boot, as the heel will be on the brake or risers before that happens.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PowderAdict cheers.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tech issue posting - sorry

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 18-01-17 11:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Reading this does make me smile, as God forbid someone actually mentions the angle of attack when climbing and resultant effectiveness of crampons and width of ski although @PowderAdict, mods go some way to tackle this so called perceived issue, though all the guys I tour with just get on with it, but there again no one I know amongst the Frenchies uses Beasts etc rolling eyes

Last couple of days I've been tackling an ascent where crampons were a sensible option. First day on 88 waists was more of a classic ascent with not to many kick turns at an easier gradient with longer traverses and heel position was either flat or one level across powder / hard blown windpack / sastrugi / ice / avalanche debris you name it we got it!

Then yesterday on 115 waists a steep line straight up with kick turns and on max heel lift where you don't tend to get so much crampon purchase, however at the end of the day it's more about technique / experience rather than having all the gear and no idea Toofy Grin

I know for sure some dudes who could have managed that climb without the use of crampons.

Straight up - poor mate in front had a gear mare, as could only get one crampon to fit on his Barons - classic case of not checking his gear before starting out for the day.

And then more widely spaced at a lesser angle - you can make out the differences in snow pack / debris
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
God forbid someone actually mentions the angle of attack when climbing and resultant effectiveness of crampons and width of ski

How does width of ski affect ski crampons? I've not noticed it, but have mostly been on relatively fat skis. Usually find ski crampons most useful for icey traverses, rather than for "nordic direct" style climb angles which I try and avoid Razz

Weathercam wrote:
at the end of the day it's more about technique / experience rather than having all the gear and no idea Toofy Grin

Very much agreed, although as I said, a couple of times I've looked on in jealousy as less expierienced skinners in e.g. STs have gotten more purchase from ski crampons than I have on my unmodded B14s on the first riser.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy