Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Squaw Valley Feb 18/19th 2017

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi I'm going for a work trip so I have tagged on a few days with family in Reno.

Are there any Squaw Valley locals with advice?

where is best to rent skis?

What's the parking like?

Any advice on best way to buy ski pass?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Liftopia for ski pass.

I just got snowed out of snowed out of Squaw. First week in January. Donner was closed, then chains/4WD only. Lifts closed for wind, then avalanche control.

You might want to try Mt. Rose though. Hidden gem. Ski passes at Costco. (or were)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rent skis in Truckee for a bit cheaper - try Tahoe Daves (also at entrance to Olympic Valley by 7-11). Squaw is great terrain but it's pretty shitty if it gets stormed out as there are only a couple of lifts on the lower Mtn.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agree about Tahoe Dave's, great place and knowledgeable staff - well they were when were there a few years ago. Spent a bundle in there in sales - which there will be when you are there as its Presidents w/end.

The place will be rammed that week, as its one of their better years too for snow atm. Again try the usual outlets fir tickets, Costco, as mentioned, Tahoe Dave's will sell some, gas stations IIRC and try liftopia too. But deals will be slim due to the public holiday.
Make sure you have a 4x4 or chains to get over to Tahoe City, they do enforce the restrictions on the passes when its bad.

Cant disagree about Mt. Rose, are you set on Squaw or willing to try other hills in the area as well ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Parking is OK if you get there early, a nightmare if you're late or not mega early on a pow day. Don't know if the great KSL build all over the parking lots has started. Best to park by Far East if you can and get your apres at the Cantina.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice guys!

I'm staying in Reno so was going to try Mt Rose for a day was considering Squaw as heard so many good things and also that there's loads of Snow.

Seems the Liftopia is a good shout.

Also buying online early seems to give a bit of a discount.

Do you need 4x4 and chains or will an SUV with 4x4 do? As was going to rent a car so that should fix that problem.

Saw Tahoe Dave's and thought it looked good too. Again online and early seem to be the game with this one.

Any more advice very welcome!

Thanks
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
xanderajma, SUV with 4x4 should be fine - they usually state chains or 4x4.

The Blue Agave in Tahoe City used to do great margaritas, of numerous varieties Toofy Grin - Not far from Tahoe Dave's across the road. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i found a complete dive of a taco joint in south lake tahoe over the summerif you make your way in that direction (heavenly is there). Taqueria Jimenez, no booze tho. they use some special beans in their refried version. Grumbling stomach just thinking about it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i found a complete dive of a taco joint in south lake tahoe over the summerif you make your way in that direction (heavenly is there). Taqueria Jimenez, no booze tho. they use some special beans in their refried version. Grumbling stomach just thinking about it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As someone who loves Squaw, definitely check out Mt. Rose. It's convenient to Reno, harder to get to as a San Franciscian, so the crowds will be dramatically smaller. I haven't been there in years but that place is rad. But Squaw is really really fun, especially if you can hit it on a weekday.

Legally you need a 4WD vehicle and carry chains just in case. Practically, if you have a 4x4 vehicle, they will shut highways down before they ever reach a point of checking chains.

That said, I would buy a set of chains anyway, just in case you get caught in an iced up parking lot of something. If you go to a local auto part stores (offhand, Napa, Kragen, or O'Reillys) you could be able to pick up a pair for around $30 USD. If you don't use them, you can return them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Took a SUV 2 wheel drive over the I80 to San Fran this Jan had to put snow chains on as there was an R2 restriction, all good but took sometime at 25 MPH max, best off getting a 4x4 as if you damage the rental with chains they will charge you, rented skis from Tahoe Dave's in Tahoe City very good service and friendly staff. Keep an eye on the local weather channels and the Caltrans sites like http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/

Have a good trip and enjoy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You don't actually "need" a 4x4 - a FWD plus chains will pass all but the highest cat chain controls (& when they reach that stage no one is likely moving anywhere fast and the resorts may be shut. Squaw seems to have been on limited opening a bunch recently due to colossal snowfall so if you hit the same give yourself some flexibility - Northstar is generally more sheltered from winds etc and can get more open earlier than Squalpine and Rose.

For weather follow BA on opensnow

https://opensnow.com/dailysnow/tahoe

Looks like the past 6 days have clocked about 100 inches for west of the lake and the crest and most places well on track for over 300 inches in January. Some places have hot their season average total already - Europe it ain't this year.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy