Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Welt/Kitbuheler Alps where to stay?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a last minute opportunity to sneak in a short trip with my wife next week for her birthday. We have booked flights to Innsbruck on Sunday and have hired a car. I have never been to the Kitzbuhel or Ski Welt area, so am looking at that. We are good skiers who like to cover a lot of varied ground, so would want to ski both areas (I believe they are properly linked through Brixen?).

As an example, our favourite area for short trips before has been the Dolomites (Selva), but fancy trying something different (and also with good snow). We also greatly enjoy Saalbach Hinterglemm and are heading there for half term with family.

Any advice on which would be the best Ski Welt/Kitzbuheler Alps resort to stay in and any hotel recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Currently leaning towards Hotel Kroneck in Kirchberg based on internet research, but would be very interested in Snowheads first-hand experience.

Key factors (in no particular order) would be:

Easy access to lifts and ski hire etc (prefer not to have to take a bus if possible)
Decent hotel with spa/pool and good half board (wife's birthday...)
Short and easy drive from Innsbruck (would tend to argue against Kitzbuhel looking at the map)
Nice, pretty town/village with at least some Apres and nightlife - it looks like some of the resorts are a bit strung out along main roads

Thanks in advance for your help.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I will pm you tomorrow if u want
A good choice of hotel
I'll be in Kirchberg next weekend too but having to stay probably in Westendorf long story
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We stayed in the Lifthotel last week. The sister hotel to the Kroneck next door. You will have use the ski bus, but the stops are very close to the hotel. It's possible to walk up to the Maierlbahn (7 mins) but I wouldn't recommend it! You can buy your lift pass from reception (6 day Kitz pass €256 or Kitz Alpen All Star €265) and there's Gerry Sport in the Lifthotel for ski hire. Town is a ten minute walk and there was plenty of apres. Quiet bars, deafening Dutch techno, live music nights, imbiss (snack) bar that serves until 2am. The Lifthotel's bar was busy with patrons if you want to stay in.

Kitzbühel is only ten minutes from Kirchberg, so makes no odds really if you're driving. If it's your first time in the area I'd send you to Kitz, plus it has some shops your missus may find interesting. SkiWelt wise Westendorf is good but Brixen would be better for access to Kitz and the SkiWelt. Hopfgarten will probably have some cheap deals available but it is very quiet, day and night.

Having said all that it's the Hahnenkamm slalom on Sunday so accommodation availability may be a little tricky.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you for the responses. Reassuring that my "leaning" towards Hotel Kroneck in Kirchberg is not completely misplaced!

HutToHut - I had originally considered Kitz, but was put off by the Slalom and also the hotels seem to be somewhat more expensive on a like for like basis. (Shops also a reason to avoid....)

I now have hotel offers from the following, all at about the same cost, and would be grateful for any views as to pros and cons, both hotel or resort:

Hotel Reitlwirt in Brixen - seems a bit spread out along road lacking a centre?
Hotel Kroneck Kirchberg (as above)
Hotel Berlingerhof, Westendorf - looks nice, but Kirchberg sounds a bit more lively?
Vital & Sporthotel Brixen
Alpenhof Brixen

Thanks
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On reading your post again I noticed a query about the links. Kitzbühel and the SkiWelt are linked via the KiWest lift into one end of Westendorf's skiing and the Pengelstein I lift into Kitzbühel's, with a short 4 minute bus between them. Not Brixen, which links Westendorf into the Skiwelt.

I wouldn't say Westendorf is less lively than Kirchberg, it's just smaller. Dutch techno and pizza till 2am still available Very Happy We've not stayed in Brixen, but have skied back to the Gondolas which give access to Westendorf and the SkiWelt, or you could get on bus to the Fleckalmbahn for Kitz (12 mins). Those hotels look to be 1-2km form the gondola station.

The Kroneck has one more star than the Lifthotel and based on it being the same business as the Lifthotel I don't think you'll be disappointed. Good choice as long as you are OK with it being a ten minute walk from the centre of town and using buses to and from. We've stayed at the Lifthotel ten years ago as well, so we think it's a good base to ski both areas.

We left on Saturday after some of the best snow conditions I can remember in five visits. It'll still be damn good come Sunday. Caution required though as the avalanche warning was flashing Friday and I read about five people caught in one Sunday on the Hohe Salve.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stay in the lovely family-run Hotel Glockenstuhl in Westendorf. It's a 2 min walk through the village to the ski hire shop/depot by the nursery slope lifts in town, from the top of which you traverse across to the main gondola.

IMO Westendorf also has the best skiing in the whole SkiWelt/Kitz area.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rg1, The Hochfilzer in Ellmau is certainly worth considering.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
With regards to;

"Easy access to lifts and ski hire etc (prefer not to have to take a bus if possible) "

For Kirchberg, a bus ride will be required for most of the central hotels so bear that in mind if it is a deal breaker.

I would recommend Kitzbuhel if you can find somewhere/anywhere central, it will be a great treat for your wife.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Liam wrote:
@rg1, The Hochfilzer in Ellmau is certainly worth considering.

+1
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you for all the comments. Given the comments about buses in Kirchberg, and having looked a little closer at Westendorf, we have decided on Westendorf.

Glockenstuhl was full except for expensive suite, so have booked into Schermer Hotel, which looks nice and appears to be very close to lifts etc.

Now counting down the minutes....

Any recommendations for good lunch or Gluhwein stops?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy