Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Chains in Hand baggage.

Poster: A snowHead
It's been years since i flew out to resort but this season with flights costing only £25 from Birmingham it seems rude not to.

So have booked a few with hire car (Swiss side so getting snow tyres) but thinking belt and braces when we used to fly we'd chuck some sniw chains in hand baggage, just wondering if you can still do this?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@marcellus, I've no experience in this but I'd be amazed if you got them through security.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No way.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No worries, just put them in the bag with your biathlon rifle and ski poles.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Swiss side rental cars normally include chains
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks like I'd have to take them in hold baggage so will go without and hope they have them at the airport.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I take them in hand baggage all the time (Birmingham to Geneva) no issues at all.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you need them they will have them in a supermarket.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Philip1972 wrote:
I take them in hand baggage all the time (Birmingham to Geneva) no issues at all.

Is this recently [b[Philip1972[/b] ie this season?

endoman wrote:
If you need them they will have them in a supermarket.

WE get to GVA at 22:30 so not many supermarkets are open besides it's just a weekend trip so could get costly if we keep on having to buy chains!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How do you know what size you need on a rental car?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@marcellus, as I said earlier they will be included with the rental car if you are renting from the Swiss side of GVA. I've always had them. I think it might be a legal requirement as are winter tyres but I stand to be corrented.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They're not always included - always wise to check. Friends had to buy in resort but were refunded.

Key argument against carrying chains is you won't know what size you need.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@marcellus, I flew from BHX in the summer. In my carry on baggage was my climbing rack and rope (if you don't know what a climbing rack looks like see http://www.backcountry.com/explore/how-to-choose-your-first-trad-rack, it is about 3kg of metal and nylon tape, my rope is 60m long and 9.4 mm diameter), my son just had his rack and my wife a rope. My wife had no problem going through security, I was stopped by the child doing a summer job on security who thought my rope was dangerous. Sadly, he wouldn't tell me what he thought I could do with it on a plane. Another child stopped my son and this time queried his rack. They both summoned the supervisor who said it was no problem. While repacking my son noticed that his "nut knocker" was stll on his rack and that really should not have been allowed on the aircraft.

I have seen knitting needles, walking sticks, crutches on aircraft in the past.

To be honest I cannot envisage any problem with snow chains, but as @harrim51, says - how do you know what size to take?

ps what flight are you taking to get to Geneva at 22:30? It sounds really handy for a weekend. I am not sure, but during the summer they closed the link to the French side of the airport at 23:00

pps I don't worry about snow chains - if necesary I can buy them at a motorway service area or even in the little resort shop and having said that it will snow on my next weekend trip.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've always had snow chains included with my hire cars at the Swiss side of GVA, but just to be sure, once I get confirmation, I email the service desk saying that I want them included as I'll be in the mountains. In the past, others in the group have hired a car at what looked like a real bargain rate via an intermediary, and not got chains because the company only offered and recommended such small cars for use in and around Geneva.

Also a tip: If this is early February, then check the car has a 2017 Vignette. 2016 Vignettes are valid into the January of the following year and the hire companies renew them on a rolling basis through the end of January. My daughter got stopped by the police last year in early Feb., because the hire company had missed renewing the Vignette.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof wrote:
No worries, just put them in the bag with your biathlon rifle and ski poles.

Strangely poles don't seem to always be a problem. Last year they let me on with a pole I was using as an ad hoc walking stick after I tore my calf on the last day and couldn't be bothered with the hassle of visiting a doctor
snow conditions
To catch up with some comments, in no order;

Flights are from Birmingham 19:30(ish) departure 22:00(ish) arrival.

Size - we've booked "Ford Focus or similar" so assumption is "or similars" use same size as the Focus which iirc are 205/55/16s.

We've booked directly with; Alamo, Budget and Sixt so good call on emailing ahead!!
ski holidays
Re tyre size, that's a big assumption.........
snow conditions
We had a car booked directly with Alamo on Swiss side last week (although fufilled by Enterprise) and chains were included.
ski holidays
Yep, tyre size is a mighty assumption. Tale large chains and stuff to lash them up with, if you must - to take up the slack. Bit dodgy though.
snow report
It seems strange this is posted in the Off Piste section. Could a mod move it somewhere more suitable as it might be useful to others?
snow report
Quote:

Who is this with and when is the return?
latest report
@marcellus, Yes this season once and last season lots of times.

Most chains fit a variety of wheel and tyre sizes, so a Focus for exapme is pretty easy to get at the min and max (just check on web or car park at work!)
ski holidays
Every avis and hertz car I've had at Geneva Swiss side has always had chains included.

I've seen all kinds of things on aircraft, and even been allowed to take a multi tool including a 10cm knife at Geneva. However, what slips through the screening and what's reliably allowed are two entirely different things.
latest report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Who is this with and when is the return?

Sleezyjet and return is on the monday at 11:00(ish) departure arrive Brum 12:00.. So work thursday, fly thursday night, ski fri, sat, sun, fly monday morning and back at work monday midday.
latest report
@snowdave, I would agree with that, we have had taken off us a bike multitool at Nice, despite having keys on a keyring that were longer and sharper, miniscule tube of bike innertube repair glue at Lyon, despite tyre levers being OK, aluminium sample fabrications (smaller than your hand), somewhere in Denmark, 16mm x 35mm bolt (no bigger than a vehicle key and definitely not as sharp) in Liverpool, I think. Loads of other weird inconsistencies (if that is a word) and most of those things had already been one way rolling eyes I am all in favour of the plane I am on staying in the sky but having seen what somebody looks like after being hit with a bottle and what a bar looks like after a flaming drambuie goes wrong, I do sometimes wonder whether any of these "rules" are realistically preventing anything.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy