Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New to snowboarding (kind of) - help on boards bindings and boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I've been on and off snowboarding at my local slope for about the last few months and it's getting a hassle to have to keep paying out for rental if I'm gonna keep going, so I've been looking at some boards online I don't want to go to expensive at the moment and if possible I'd be looking for the whole package in one, and I would really appreciate some advice on where and what to get. I wear a size 4 shoe, around 9 stone and 5'4 so I've been told to go for around a 156 cm board? I'm not sure really I just would like to get some advice really Blush
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bearing in mind you're starting out and don't want to spend too much yet (a good idea I reckon)...

Generall tips having done a similar thing a couple years back:

I'd say it's not hugely important when starting out so long as you don't get some crazy specific extreme 'built for one thing and one thing only' type setup.. Whatever you get you'll end up forming a bond with and getting in sync with, and in a while when you want to spend out on some fancy stuff you'll have a better idea what what you do and don't like about - what you'd like improved on etc:)

In my opinion (which to be fair isn't worth much) it's definitely worth getting pair of boots that fit you well which will probably mean going to a shop and buying them on their own, so the larger part of the spend (especially as sods law says the ones that fit best will be the most expensive), but they'll stay with you as you upgrade the rest and comfy boots are worth their weight in gold.

You can pick up a used board/bindings combos pretty cheap if you keep an eye on ebay and there's bargains aplenty as people give it up or hanker for the latest and greatest new fangled dual-ultra-pop radcore techobabble marketing upgrades. If buying new though, I don't reckon you can go too far wrong with anything general purpose from a reputable brand for your first owned board/bindings.

Board length, errm, no idea. I just got a long-ish one as i'm a long-ish guy. I think my ex rode a 150cm and was similar size to you so close enough I guess.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My honest advice, seeing that you don't know really what you're looking at/for at the moment, is not to try and buy what you think is the right thing online, but instead to go into a ski shop and buy something under their guidance, where you can have a look and try boots on etc... of course it'll be more expensive but you're far less likely to end up with the wrong thing.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depends what you mean by expensive, for example I just got my first kit too:

Burton Moto Boots: £105 (Absolute Snow)
Salomon Pulse (156cm) & Salomon Pact Bindings: £170 (Decathlon)
Poc Aurus (I think) helmet: £55 (Snow & Rock)

I was quite pleased with that spend for brand new gear from well known brands!

I bought entirely on-line with some advice from this forum of course Happy

If you live close to a decent shop its worth going, but if not, many places on-line do free returns anyway.

The only bit I should add is that I did go to Pro-feet in Fulham to get the inners heat moulded (£25) and also got a custom insole fitted (which you may not need/want).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is your local slope a fridge or dryslope?

154-156 sounds quite about right for your weight and height. You will know by how your rental boards feel. Perhaps try longer and shorter than you are used to, to get a feel outside of your norm.

In short, long boards will float better on powder and will feel much more stable at very high speed, but you need your technique nailed to ride them well. Shorter boards will be very easy to ride, but become nervous at speed and need exaggerated back foot pressure to ride in powder (which kind of spoils the whole powder experience, in my book).

Rocker is another factor. Cambered boards are great for high speed piste riding, OK off piste (unless very cambered) and grip well if the pistes are icy. Harder to turn on, until you have your technique up to spec. Rockered boards are very easy to learn on... they pretty much turn regardless of skill. They float well on powder but don't carve well and have much lower speed limits (before you become a nervous passenger).

There is no substitute for trying a few out and seeing what you like best. A fridge 'try before you buy' day would be good, or see if you can blag a ride on mates boards.

Bindings - short a flexy for park/freestyle, high and stiff for piste hooning. The same for your boots. Adjustable highbacks are good for off piste. I wind mine vertical for off piste days and crank them forward for on piste days.

Most shops will do you a deal if you buy the lot form them - don't be afraid to haggle. Most sales start after half term, wait until March if you can.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I made a mistake in buying my first board 2nd hand and found that it was too stiff and 'advanced' for me.
Hired a board in resort and loved it ( previous hire boards not so much) so then went and found it cheapish as last season's model online. BTW I'm female, and pretty much your size and weight and shoe size and I ride a 149 currently as a piste board, mid flex.

Get the boots sorted first ( buy new, but maybe wait for sales - but must know exact size and model if not trying on in person), then the rest.

Some shops at snowdomes will do free or £25ish demo boards, well worth it.

At least decide what flex and whether you want directional, twin, true twin (and if it's for piste, indoors, freestyle or what), whether camber/hybrid/rocker, and what type/ design and stiffness of bindings - then perhaps you can make an informed punt if you buy 2nd hand or online.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy