Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Breakdown cover - Europe?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any recommendations for breakdown cover whilst driving to alps (France) please?
Just found out current insurer wont add this onto policy mid term!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have always found Startrescue to be really reasonable price wise, though to be fair i have not had to use them for any emergencies so could not say what their service is like, more peace of mind I suppose!!!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We've always bought cover for travelling in Europe through various suppliers but only had cause to use it once which was two years ago. It was via a third party actioned through AXA, they worked impeccably to resolve our problem with a team in Europe to handle it and get us back to normal.

It's something you hope you don't need but I was highly impressed with AXA's skill and scope to support us, well worth seeing if they are the underlying provider in my view.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Look at ADAC. If you are non resident in Germany you need the plus version and are covered for any vehicle you are in. Less than £100 annually, cover includes emergency medical repatriation. It is an ongoing annual membership though so remember to cancel with 3 months notice if you want it to end.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm with Startrescue (EU breakdown policy). Had to use them recently in the UK, everything was dealt with smoothly and efficiently. No reason to assume it would have been any different had it happened in the EU.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@snowglider, thinking back a few years ago we had startrescue for my wife, as at the time my vehicle came with breakdown cover (now have joint AA domestic cover), and we had to call them out a couple of times for her car and all was dealt with efficiently. Probably why I decided to use them for European cover (apart from being extremely cheap!!!!)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@terrygasson, I was with Green Flag before (through my insurance policy). But despite my nearly decade - and - a - half's worth of no claim's bonus, the price of my insurance kept creeping up (or rather, leaping up Shocked ) so I ditched them.
While I was at it (searching for the best insurance quote), I also looked for a more favourable recovery insurance quote. Saved me a signifficant amount of money on both! Shocked

In fact, Startrescue was so much cheaper than Green Flag that I questioned whether the old addage "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is" should be abided by.
Glad I didn't give in to my doubts - Startrescue really delivered for me. And I mean it - no questions asked, absolutely no stress, the entire process was a paragon of smoothness. They've really won my confidence.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
terrygasson wrote:
I have always found Startrescue to be really reasonable price wise, though to be fair i have not had to use them for any emergencies so could not say what their service is like, more peace of mind I suppose!!!!

I will second that, I was over in Poland in the summer and the cyclinder gasket went on my car...on the German/Polish border of all places and they were brilliant - hotels, rental cars, finding a garage and the car took so long they flew us home and once the car was repaired they sent it back to us....all for £25.

They were excellent so I can recommend but do get something just in case.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowglider, @davidhammy, thanks for the reassurance, my domestic AA policy is up for renewal in a couple of months and I will definitely cancel and go for startrescue for both domestic and European rescue service!!! (though hopefully will not need it)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great tips - thank you - all sorted!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@davidhammy, @terrygasson, same here - thanks for the reassurance.

As I said earlier, they were brilliant in the UK and gave me no reason to think that they would have handled it any differently,, had it happened abroad. (Mine was a minor issue - a burst coolant hose with the loss of coolant - so would have been handled localy). But nevertheless, it's good to know that they would have taken care of something major with the same professionalism.

When my policy is up for renewal this summer, I will just simply renew it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We used ADAC very positively for a number of years especially for European cover for an old motorhome. We broke down in UK. ADACs partner here is the AA. They were appallingly bad. Left us 24 hours , sent 3 inappropriate breakdown trucks and demanded an email to confirm extra payment. ADAC were always excellent but they do have this towing limit.
We opened a Nationwide Flex plus bank account which costs £10 a month but provides European breakdown cover as well as travel insurance including skiing. The
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've got European cover with our bank account, as well as with our Nissan car warranty, both via RAC. On the only occasion we have needed them , they were useless. I am going to cancel the bank cover, and take out additional cover
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have insurance "free" with my Nationwide bank account. Worked very well when I found my car with a flat battery at Chambery airport on Saturday ( and I'd only left the lights on for a week...) Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy