Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Say hello to the Lily camera...

Poster: A snowHead
So will we be seeing these flying all over the slopes in years to come?

http://youtube.com/v/4vGcH0Bk3hg

Not due to be launched until early 2016 but is on pre-order for about £320 (half price). Contains a similar level camera to the gopro.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No. See thread in apres
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
which thread? May the Lord preserve us from those things. Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Im Sold Happy Only it won't keep up with me when I'm skiing ;-p

Can you imagine what Val will be like in 2016!! Helmets will need to be mandatory for sure.... but shah don't tell the helmet sceptics Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not much good if you like skiing through trees....or anywhere near cables (electricity/telephone/lifts/or otherwise)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AFAIK even a hobbyist needs an operators licence to fly a drone in France, which involves passing a written exam. However you don't need to pass within 15% of the marks of a champion drone-ist.

I've been persistently buzzed by the ****** things when sailing. Not a development I welcome.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I've been persistently buzzed by the ****** things when sailing.

where's that? Shotgun?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dogwatch wrote:
AFAIK even a hobbyist needs an operators licence to fly a drone in France, which involves passing a written exam. However you don't need to pass within 15% of the marks of a champion drone-ist.

It's more complex. The exam is the written part of the pilot's license although there were plans in place to put in a more suitable test - I'd heard about flying a course through various gates within... well you guessed it, 15% of an opener!

You also need a drone on the CAA approved list, which generally means a big professional hexacopter. Then you cannot fly your drone within 150 meters of buildings or over areas with people (like ski pistes). There are exceptions for film or TV work but that requires submitting a flight plan to the prefecture a month or so in advance.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I've been persistently buzzed by the ****** things when sailing.

where's that? Shotgun?

While windsurfing off a south England beach. There was a small squadron of them, possibly filming someone else. Really distracting, like trying to doze in a room with mosquitoes buzzing around.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 15-05-15 10:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:
It's more complex.

Good. The more complex the better as far as I'm concerned.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dogwatch wrote:
davidof wrote:
It's more complex.

Good. The more complex the better as far as I'm concerned.

Problem is you still get lots of numpties using them and Piste Patrol will be run ragged chasing the damn things

With the old drone which need a remote control to operate it was easy to spot and shoot the controller, but now the lilly can just follow you, how is anyone going to know once its up? Only chance is when it comes down 20mins later
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm waiting for this:
https://www.airdog.com/

Bit more expensive but probably more useful and looks like it packs smaller. Should be ace to get some nice shots hiking and ski touring.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@dogwatch, my son in law does a lot of windsurfing, mostly at Hayling. He's not mentioned any drones yet but I can imagine that was annoying and it's certainly intrusive. Is anyone allowed to buzz the things around anywhere?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In the UK you don't need a licence for personal use but you aren't supposed to fly them within 50m of other people, which they were certainly doing.

I could have remonstrated but there was one of me and several of them.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@meh, Airdog does look good (been posted before) certainally a 'smarter' flyer, but Lily does look a bit more robust, less delicate and theres a lot to be said for waterproof...
snow report
Think I'd better take to Kickstarter with my plans for personal EMP guns to protect oneself from drone surveillance/harassment.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Think I'd better take to Kickstarter with my plans for personal EMP guns to protect oneself from drone surveillance/harassment.

An emp attached to the top of your helmet? Lets add a tesla coil too Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

Im Sold Happy Only it won't keep up with me when I'm skiing ;-p

Can you imagine what Val will be like in 2016!! Helmets will need to be mandatory for sure.... but shah don't tell the helmet sceptics Happy

I cannot beleive that France will have lesss stringent rules than the UK on this. In the UK the operator must be within direct unided visual contact with the "model" aircraft (drones under 7kg constitute models ) so it cannot fly behind you. You are not allowed to be within 50m of any other vehicle or structure or near other people (150m is mentioned). See http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP658%204%20Edition%20Amend%201%20June%202013.pdf for the full regulations.

It appears that these drones will be illegal in the UK and probably in France as well
ski holidays
Surely it won't be a problem after about 11am when everyone will have used up their batteries for the day or broken their last set of rotors.
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Surely it won't be a problem after about 11am when everyone will have used up their batteries for the day or broken their last set of rotors.

Toofy Grin

It could be a blood bath by then!

Actually that means we can all have a lie in and head to empty slopes at 11am. Im all for them, where do I sign up Happy
snow report
Theres a thought - if drone-cams do take off (geddit) in a big way, you could start a nice little in-resort business for drone-cam repair after they've been crashed into trees/gondolas/savegly beaten with skipoles etc...
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Theres a thought - if drone-cams do take off (geddit) in a big way, you could start a nice little in-resort business for drone-cam repair after they've been crashed into trees/gondolas/savegly beaten with skipoles etc...

Good job its not america they would be suing for trauma, loss of peace and quiet, and there would be all sorts of UFO sighting Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

I could have remonstrated but there was one of me and several of them

Laughing Drone Wars? A bit more exciting than paint-balling. Drones which look like a Spitfire, or a Messerschmidt?

A device to detect and send killer signals to any drone within 50 metres could be a nice little money maker.
snow conditions
You lot have reminded me that when I was a kid, I always a wanted a remotely controlled submarine for the model boating lake. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Great idea, but only 20 mins battery time, and cant swop batteries, and top speed of 25mph, so limited, but still cool fun too be had.

Like others said , not good in trees etc, great for off p[iste and wakeboarding and the like though, I pre ordered one rolling eyes
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
A device to detect and send killer signals to any drone within 50 metres could be a nice little money maker.

Such things already exist for police etc. as it's only a matter of time before hobbiest drones are used for nefarious purposes. There was a piece on this in a recent Economist.
snow report
I personally hope that these and airdogs will be banned by the resorts, I really don't want these things buzzing about all over the place when I'm skiing, but I can see them taking-off (pardon the pun) as the next big thing.......... rolling eyes
ski holidays
Doesn't the concept of a kill-signal defeat the concept of an autonomous (or semi autonomous) drone? It'll only be 'intercepted' if its getting a signal from somewhere rather than following a pre-programmed flight plan or instruction. When you move up the drone foodchain, there are some quite clever autonomy units out there. And when a drone buzzed (and then crashed) the Whitehouse earlier this year, it wasn't brought down by a cunning software takeover, nor a couple of blasts from a SPAS-12, it hit a tree and fell down, and proved that it was too small to even trigger a radar event.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

You lot have reminded me that when I was a kid, I always a wanted a remotely controlled submarine for the model boating lake. Toofy Grin

I like the idea.
@Markymark29, They are probably illegal already
snow report
It'll be programmed to follow a certain flight path around the wrist strap. Both strap and drone have GPS and the strap sends its position to the drone so it can work out where to go next. There must also be a method of asking the drone to return to sender and land. If the drone doesn't receive a signal from the strap then it'll probably hover for a bit and then descend slowly.

It won't be long before someone manages to spoof a wrist strap and convince the drone it should be somewhere else. Then you can enjoy watching the owner's face as his drone runs away across the mountain!
snow report
@altis, simple shared key would sort that out.
ski holidays
http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21650071-hands-criminals-small-drones-could-be-menace-now-time covers some subjects discussed here.
latest report
easy peasy to take out the cheap ones.

hint... unsecured wifi Wink

"proper" rc model ones (and I mean proper RC in general, which has been around for decades, and not just "drones", which some people have an issue with) use 2.4GHz channel hopping. So difficult to take out since there are so many effective channels, but you can DDoS the 2.4GHz band but then YOU'd be the one breaking the law.

20mins is about the limit for batteries in normal temperatures. Not sure how LiPo works in sub-zero? Either way, it's not going to be an issue, and amazon aren't going to be delivering stuff very far either.
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, for GPS based semi or fully autonomous drones or other similar devices the CAA and FAA are enforcing embedded GPS controls. These if not overridden mean that the device will not allow itself to be flown into as defined in the software 'controlled airspace' including government buildings, airports etc.
snow report
"STOP THE CLOCK, STOP THE CLOCK."

It's an age thing.
snow conditions
So in your view consideration for other people is an age thing? Happily, that isn't my experience.
snow conditions
dogwatch

hors Piste
Sat 16 May, 15

So in your view consideration for other people is an age thing? Happily, that isn't my experience.

No, it's a quote from an old TV show, called "treasure hunt " where Anneka Rice was chased by a helicopter...
ski holidays
Bit of thread necromancy, but dear old Lily Cam came back to my attention today... but for all the wrong reasons. Guess what, the this was vapourware. Non-existent. Never was, is, nor probably will be, and sure as sure is not for under £400. Now being investigated by Indigogo lawyers over an alleged fraudulent crowdfund using the Lily cam name, which the company have divorced themselves from completely.

And the other one which was AirDog? Actually, thats more real - you can buy one, for nearly $2000 plus camera.

Looks like autonomous drones won't be bugging too many people on the slopes this season.
snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways, airdog is $1600 on Amazon!

In terms of other autonomous drones, you can get a Hexo+ for €999 (next batch ready end of Oct, but models have already shipped) or 3DR Solo for $1322.

But I think prices are high enough that they're not going to be everywhere anytime soon!
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, the hexo is still going.

https://hexoplus.com/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy