Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Female specific tuition - useful or tosh?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi am just looking for some tips/advice - curious if any ladies out there have found whether being taught by a woman (or a man who acknowledges/understands how female biomechanics might affect their skiing) has been of any benifit? I know a good teacher male or female is vital and there are some excellent male instructors out there - but I'm curious if there are any accepted differences in technique for the curvier skier?
As far as my personal biomechanics go: I have slightly knocked knees, I only really noticed this when I took up rowing last year, when tired I have to concentrate hard to stop them coming together on the rower. I understand this is a common female pelvis type thing? Also my right thigh appears 1cm longer (only) on the rower than the left!!? I have a torn right meniscus - conservatively managed and grade 5 ACJ right shoulder also conservatively managed! I also have a small waist/torso (small core) and my centre of mass is very definitely south of my belly button, yay. Not quite Kim Kardasian but you get the picture... I am wondering if all of this combined is affecting how I ski (am very definitely stuck in the back seat on the intermediate plateau), my turn to the L is stronger, I have almost no 'up' extension/unweighting, can't really get my weight forward and tend to skate not really ski and consequently end up punching my way round and facing the hill! Any tips and advice from female experts and instructors for improving things gratefully received - boys too but I'm really asking the girls from a personal experience point of view... or am I just trying to validate excuses for not improving? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@frankEvb, my lay male opinion is that grrl-specific tuition is a good thing but mostly from a psych pov.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1 for the psych pov, my wife is a much better skier than she allowed herself to be, private lessons with an instructor (male) who managed to get her over some of her fears worked wonders for her, especially getting herself forward. What sort of boots do you use? Are they just hire boots, could they be too stiff?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can't see how a female instructor would be able to give more effective advice re: skiing with a larger bum, knock knees and one leg that is noticeably longer than the other... I think a boot-fitter would be a good call. You do see plenty of blokes skiing with a stronger turn on one side, punching their way round etc...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been with two female learners who were complete and utter nutters - point the skis down hill, enjoy the speed, and stop by, er.... um... didn't think about that... err... crashing. (They were both good horsewomen which I think makes a big difference to enjoying going quickly without really being in complete control.) And two who were complete scaredy cats who never went again.

And male learners who have fallen into the latter camp, and into the 'get it done precisely' camp, and the nutter camp.

Nothing to do with sex, everything to do with fitness and 'psych' (sic).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Absolute tosh. Any instructor worth his or her salt should beable to instruct anyone and ficus on the necessary specifics.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx wrote:
ficus on the necessary specifics.

I think the OP was describing herself as more pear-shaped than fig-shaped wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@holidayloverxx, inclined to agree with this, if you are aware of your own weak points then a half decent instructor would recognise them too and know how to work with them. In fact you can probably start to work on it yourself. Try and establish why your R turn isn't as strong, think about what you're doing when turning L and try to mirror it. Also work on pole plants/hands forward to help with shifting your weight.

Mind you I'm not sure that being stronger to one side and being backseat has anything to do with physiology, they're both just general problems with a lot of people's skiing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Now I am on a bigger screen, other than being female friendly, tbh, any good instructor is a good instructor and I am really extremely sceptical that just because a morphology/pathology happens to be attached to a wimmin, that there's anything at all special about it.

Bloke in restaurant up mountain today had bigger boobs and a more pear shaped figure than most girls I've ever seen...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Other than the fact that instructors need to know we women tend to being bit knock kneed (count myself in that category), I see no need for "female specific" instruction on technique. Most people have issues of a biomechnical nature in some way, such as strong and weak sides. A good instructor should be able to tune in to an individual's issues. The psychology of women can be, I admit, a bigger difference though.

I confess I cringe at the thought of skiing with the "sisterhood"..too many group hugs etc for this particular stiff lipped englishwoman. I used to be a member of another online women only forum based in the USA, but there came a point where it began to make me feel positively nauseous, plus they didn't get my english sense of irony, so I bailed out.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
once had a male teacher teaching my ex wife who couldn't get his head around the fact that she didn't want to push herself to the absolute limit and would rather be safe and consolidate control and technique rather than go on every steeper stuff and fall over more.

that said it was possible a poor/ good teacher split rather than male / female as when I went with him for a lesson he took great delight in getting to me try the powder between the pistes in my second week of skiing and found it hilarious when I did a couple of somersault face plants as turning in the deep stuff was a bit beyond my capability at that point. he also took down a steepish black run (very slowly) in the fog. it was only when I looked back up from the bottom the following day, I realised how frigging steep it was. on reflection definitely not the best teacher I've had.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@frankEvb, I've got some similar biomechanics to you but I've tackled that via bootfitter and personal trainer rather than by ski instruction per se. My ski instruction has mostly been with men although it's been lovely to occasionally ski with a female trainer. That more for a different type of chairlift chat rather than a particular difference of approach.

As suggested by others, it's more relevant to compare between good/not so good instructors. One of the most useful parts of Snowheads is the personal recommendations people can give. If you indicate where you're planning on going, chances are someone can recommend a good instructor.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks chaps your responses have confirmed my suspicions...

@under a new name, @James the Last, Agree'd! I fall squarely (or not) into the slightly nutty category Very Happy Tally Ho!

@pieman666, I have my own boots Lange SX90 fitted by a supposed 'ski boot guru' in Austria - I had an appointment with CEM a few years ago, but had to cancel due to a bereavement and now live in Scotland so that's no longer an option. The guy I saw knew his stuff and seemed to be 'the fella to ask' on the shop floor... I can flex them well and apparently have normal ankle flexion.
I regained a lot of confidence last year (had lost a little following buggering up my shoulder the year before). I fully intend not to allow an intollerable variable like fear to hold me back... Got back on the horse, by skiing the run I was crashed into on day one last year - helped immeasurably!
@Chamcham, Quite! Although... @holidayloverxx, may have a point! Very Happy
Thanks everyone for confirming my suspicions - will endeavour to 'man up' a little...
@SnoodyMcFlude, will keep trying to improve these things - thank you for the advice.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, Fair enough! Very Happy Smile Shocked
@Perty, Totally! Group hugs and all things Diva-esq also make my skin crawl - especially adults in too much pink (!) but at the same time am very much up for less egocentric chair lift chatter! Toofy Grin Thank you for your advice now I'm out of the healing phase I have seen a physio and hit the gym and all things bio-mechanical are vastly improved on the flat so hopefully will be too on the slopes!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Got to say I have coached several mens and ladies volleyball teams and they are very different.

In fact I was watching a 40 minute video last week by an American female coach and the differences coaching women and specifically how to get them to be competitive.

BK (before kids) me and the wife were being guided on a vallee blanche alternative and he asked if we were scared at the top pitch and whether we wanted to be roped. My missus said yes. Later I asked what the hell she said yes for (we both knew she would be fine skiing it) and she said well I was. I said, well so was I but I wasn't going to tell him that. There is scared and then there is really scared. Just a simple illustration of a male/female mindset.

That said I would expect most instructors have experience of both and can adapt.
ski holidays
@t44tomo, I have also had some dreadful (all male - might be the cause of my concern) teachers. The only guy who has truly helped me was the blessed and amazing Hans Peter... who taught me to ski... Anyway...
Another problem I have is that 'my group' (ex instructors) prefer the technically amazing, slow, cruisy and dreary as death variety of skiing in pursuit of perfection... (I find it lovely to watch and impressive as all hell and in my weaker moments I want to try it but at all other times - it does not look like fun!!) where as I am very much more your 'I'll give that a go' rolypoly in the powder kinda gal! I love skiing in fog/cloud - completely removes the fear factor if you can't see how steep it is... Shocked (l'm joking!) I do think a lot of the time the instructors are pushing us way beyond our comfort zones for their own amusement but then also I've noticed the only way to progress is to "Feel the fear and do it anyway"... That's the title of a good book for skiers of a nervous disposition...

@Maireadoconnor, I have tried to work on my bio mechanical problems so hopefully it will help and I'm certain my boots are good. I guess the rest is down to me and hopefully finding someone who can teach as well as listen and who had good chair lift chat! We'll be in Zell am See before the end of the month if you (or anyone else) know of anyone...
Thanks for responding - posting on here can sometimes be a little like walking into a pub and discovering your the only girl... wink
ski holidays
Isn't the best approach to be treated (or to treat your client, if you are teaching) as an individual? Obviously this is compromised to a certain extent in groups, but even in that situation it's not difficult to differentiate to provide coaching which matches as best as possible the needs of the person you are teaching, regardless of their gender. I have different approaches with the people I teach, which is honed the longer you are teaching them, but I don't have a "boys' lesson plan" and a "girls' lesson plan".
snow report
@Layne, I'm with your wife on that one, I'd do it - but don't mind who knows its freaked me out... whether I'm scared or even really scared!
My OP was as much about wondering if our physical differences played as much of a part as our innate phycological differences and whether as a result a girl instructor (intuitively aware of ALL the differences) would be of benefit... Puzzled seems as with so much to do with skiing I've been over thinking it.., probably something to do with being far too excited and impatient to get me on a hill Very Happy
ski holidays
@rob@rar, ideally yes! But in practice, at least so far for me, it doesn't pan out that way. Groups are a good thing and there's safety in numbers at the beginning - but after a while we all seek a more individual approach... Several years ago I payed for a days tuition with an instructor and spent the day skiing behind him down blue runs with sod all instruction " just follow my track" and listening to him brag about his marvellous life/abilities on the lifts. He was a seasoned (bored) 'professional' but he completely knocked my confidence and told me I had no place on a red run as (at the time) I couldn't carve (!?) I think as I wasn't in the least 'bunny' like he had no interest in teaching me. I realise this is 'the nightmare scenario' but I have been put off risking individual lessons as a result because they can do as much harm as good! Thus my asking you lot Very Happy
snow conditions
@frankEvb, I've skied with a female instructor when having a lesson for the last few years (because I always ski with the same instructor, not because I always request a woman). Losing confidence after injury (so back seat skiing etc.) is normal unfortunately. I like her because there are times when I'm nervous about doing something and she'll just go on ahead and tell me to stop p1ssing about, and there are other times when I'm totally up for doing something and she'll just come out with "no, you're not good enough for that yet", so I feel confident that if she says I can do something I can, and I don't waste time worrying that I can't. Don't think that's got anything to do with sex. She's also the only instructor I've had in my adult life - to be fair I've only had 4 - who hasn't asked me out wink (though I'm an old married woman these days so really don't think I'd be fending them off with a stick).
ski holidays
frankEvb wrote:
@rob@rar, ideally yes! But in practice, at least so far for me, it doesn't pan out that way. Groups are a good thing and there's safety in numbers at the beginning - but after a while we all seek a more individual approach... Several years ago I payed for a days tuition with an instructor and spent the day skiing behind him down blue runs with sod all instruction " just follow my track" and listening to him brag about his marvellous life/abilities on the lifts. He was a seasoned (bored) 'professional' but he completely knocked my confidence and told me I had no place on a red run as (at the time) I couldn't carve (!?) I think as I wasn't in the least 'bunny' like he had no interest in teaching me. I realise this is 'the nightmare scenario' but I have been put off risking individual lessons as a result because they can do as much harm as good! Thus my asking you lot Very Happy
Sorry to hear your experience, that's just appalling. But I think it's the difference between a good instructor and, in this case, a worse than worthless instructor rather than a gender-bias to the way that you might want to learn.

The most obvious gender-based biomechanical difference is the possibility of being "knock-kneed", or the Q Angle as it is better described (although there seems to be some doubt even about that for men and women of equal height), but in my experience the differences in individual learning styles, attitudes, expectations, aspirations, etc far outweigh any generic men v. women differences. I think the best option is to find a good instructor (of whatever gender you prefer), and here is a good a place as any to ask for recommendations.
snow conditions
frankEvb wrote:
@Layne, I'm with your wife on that one, I'd do it - but don't mind who knows its freaked me out... whether I'm scared or even really scared!

It's where the phrase "don't be a girl" comes from. It sounds partronising and sexist but like many generalisations it's spot on more often than not. Blokes are stupidly macho sometimes, so both traits have their downsides.

frankEvb wrote:
My OP was as much about wondering if our physical differences played as much of a part as our innate phycological differences and whether as a result a girl instructor (intuitively aware of ALL the differences) would be of benefit... Puzzled seems as with so much to do with skiing I've been over thinking it.., probably something to do with being far too excited and impatient to get me on a hill Very Happy

There is a bit of both I would think.

It is all generalisations though, exceptions prove the rule. There was a young, fast car driving, rugby playing colleague of mine who went skiing and was like a baby lamb, absolutely hated it and swore he'd never go again.
latest report
frankEvb wrote:

Lesson learned. Get recommendations for an instructor, or if you can't try and meet them beforehand, or if you can't just book for one hour initially to see if you hit it off. Or indeed a combination of all three.
snow report
My wife and I have had lessons with the the Ecole du Ski Francais, the Swiss ESS, and in the USA. The ESF were consistently expensive and unworthwhile. So I think it's more to do with your tutor's culture than gender. I wouldn't bother in France. Yes, I know that they are highly qualified and not everyone is the same, but I think that the odds of getting value and effective teaching in France aren't good. Perhaps it doesn't help that a friend of mine was jailed in France for daring to instruct, even 'though she was ESF-qualified and registered officially with a ski school. Partly the reason why I don't ski there any more. Overall, elsewhere, I think that you have a much better chance of getting sympathetic and useful coaching.
latest report
@frankEvb, start another thread in the Resorts section asking 'Recommend me an instructor in Zell am See" and I expect you'll get some advice. None from me in that resort, I'm afraid.
snow report
@Layne, have you got your signature written in massive letters to try to subliminally tell us girls you're big and macho or something?!

This thread is heading in a predictable direction... good luck with it all @frankEvb,
snow report
@Hand Wringer, I reckon you've got it sussed! That kind of honesty/trust relationship is worth its weight in gold. I need to get me some of that! Your instructor doesn't teach in Zell does she?

"don't think I'd be fending them off with a stick)." ... you mean that's not what the poles are for??? Toofy Grin

@rob@rar, I thought he was 'worse than worthless' too but nice to know others don't regard that as a normal hazard of tuition across a language/cultural barrier. Thank you for your advice and explanation of why what I was asking isn't Relavent. Very Happy
latest report
@frankEvb, My last lesson was with a female Canadian ski instructor the one bit of advice she gave to her all female class of 6 35yr+ students was "remember ladies (American name for a bum bags) first" .Blush
It seemed to help we were skiing 30cm of fresh powder at the time. The class was a ladies who ski day so lesson, lunch, lesson decamp to a bar. These days are fairly normal over there I would book again if there is one this year, but we will not be in the same resort.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne, You're right - it does sound a bit patronising and sexist but then equally I have never heard that phrase used to a woman! Little 'girls' are generally more timid - probably to do with their being a child wink
I suppose it's true women are more open and honest regarding their feelings than men esp when put in a situation where machismo is called for Toofy Grin but then we have to factor in our intuition (otherwise known as the 'ability to see straight through machismo' and/or BS) - oops generalising again... wink Seriously though your advice on selecting an instructor is sound and will use it. Thanks Very Happy
snow report
@LaForet, hi, I haven't been/can't really see myself skiing in France so I think I'm safe there. From stories like yours and what you hear in the press, they do seem a little highly strung when it comes to their ski tuition Shocked rolling eyes
All rather unnesseccary Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
frankEvb wrote:
@Layne, You're right - it does sound a bit patronising and sexist but then equally I have never heard that phrase used to a woman!

Sadly it is often said in front of little girls.

My fab ski instructor is ESF Shocked so, no, not teaching in Zell but hopefully someone will be able to give you a good recommendation if you start a specific thread.
snow report
@Maireadoconnor, will do! Thanks
@Hand Wringer, Laughing I wasn't stirring - honest gov... Least not initially! wink fin.
@joneski, that's the kind of response I thought I'd get! 'Bum bag' first eh!? I'll give it a go! Thanks Very Happy
snow conditions
@Hand Wringer, True dat! will do Very Happy
ski holidays
frankEvb wrote:
@t44tomo, as I am very much more your 'I'll give that a go' rolypoly in the powder kinda gal! I love skiing in fog/cloud - completely removes the fear factor if you can't see how steep it is... Shocked (l'm joking!) I do think a lot of the time the instructors are pushing us way beyond our comfort zones for their own amusement but then also I've noticed the only way to progress is to "Feel the fear and do it anyway"... That's the title of a good book for skiers of a nervous disposition...
)

Love the gung ho approach. I too love skiing in snowy conditions and cloud...though have had the most horrible experiences in total total whiteout where Mr P and I felt very sick as we could not see from one piste pole to the next.
We both had some cracking tuition last season from Mark Jones, Dave Cowell and Rupert Tildesley of ICESI/Mountain Masters in Val D'Isere. I cannot stress how confidence inspiring they were as well as making it all fun. (Dave Cowell must be the most cheerful man on two planks!). They clearly take great pleasure from making you a better skier.
ski holidays
Hand Wringer wrote:
@Layne, have you got your signature written in massive letters to try to subliminally tell us girls you're big and macho or something?!@frankEvb,

Have you seen the size of my sig love!?

Nah, was just having a play around. I've toned it down but maybe it's still too big, whatdya reckon?
latest report
frankEvb wrote:
@Layne, You're right - it does sound a bit patronising and sexist but then equally I have never heard that phrase used to a woman!

Sorry should have made it clear only used by bloke to bloke... usually when they make a girly scweem or squeal. Wouldn't say to a woman unless I was wearing a full suit of armour.

Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
@Perty, i can't help it I just like 'Fast' in all its various forms...
I'm probably going with: Bigger,Better,Faster,More,Dead! on my tomb stone - though clearly that's a loooooong way off yet...
I live in Scotland so not generally phased by weather, but agree'd, total white out is horrific. Can be truly nauseating. Still, if you are actually sick at least that provides a little colour and quite helpfully leaves both a visual and olfactory cue for those coming along behind Toofy Grin Sorry I get my overtly twisted sense of humour from 10 years working as a trauma nurse. What strikes me is that - the cautious die/get injured too and if it's 'your day' it's your day and there's nothing gonna stop it! So you might as well go live it cos it all stops too soon anyhow. Madeye-Smiley
I'm glad you've found brilliant teaching that has helped you, I'm sure I will one day too! I just want to get better! Smile
snow report
Layne wrote:
frankEvb wrote:

Sorry should have made it clear only used by bloke to bloke... usually when they make a girly scweem or squeal. Wouldn't say to a woman unless I was wearing a full suit of armour.

Shocked Laughing

@Layne A suit of armour, surely that would do nothing for your technique? No matter how macho you felt inside it wink Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
Quote:

grade 5 ACJ right shoulder also conservatively managed!

Wow! that is some injury. I though half of IIIs were operated on and almost all IVs and above. If you can get on with that injury then I don't think there are any mental barriers. May I ask what other sports you are doing

ps just had my grade IV locked down yesterday.
snow conditions
James the Last wrote:
I've been with two female learners who were complete and utter nutters - point the skis down hill, enjoy the speed, and stop by, er.... um... didn't think about that... err... crashing. (They were both good horsewomen which I think makes a big difference to enjoying going quickly without really being in complete control.) And two who were complete scaredy cats who never went again.

And male learners who have fallen into the latter camp, and into the 'get it done precisely' camp, and the nutter camp.

Nothing to do with sex, everything to do with fitness and 'psych' (sic).
I agree with this, I can't see how a female specific instructor would be any different, I also think it is down to a personality trait to just keep at it even though it is harder. I do know we probably ski at a wider stance due to our pelvic position than men do, but out from that it seems to be the same for both male and females as to how they learn.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy