Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter - Val Thorens or Solden?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are skiing at Easter due to school holidays and I am trying to work out the 'best' place.

We have skied:

Tignes - fair amount of slopes above the melt line - we've been a couple of times and fancy a change.
Cervinia - again good snow above the melt line, but limited challenging terrain.

I think above 2500m tends to stay as snow and not just ice to slush and so it's resorts that have piste above that level.

Val Thorens - is it just a barren ice cube? What are the higher slopes like? (I can't believe I've never managed to ski the 3 valleys)
Solden - it doesn't seem to offer as much up high, but it's further east so perhaps keeps its' snow stays in better nick.

Any views.... am I after the impossible? Should I just abandon the kids?!

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Val Thorens. There is a high probabilty of good snow and you will be able to ski back to the resort instead of a lengthy queue for the lift down.

Do not abandon the kids, social services will be onto you in an instant
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some of my happiest holidays were skiing at Easter in Val Thorens with my nephews. It's a great place to ski anyway, and the slopes are in good condition generally (the resort is open to May). Plus if you get lucky with weather and snow, you may still be able to ski over to Meribel.

Plus when the sun is out, it can be t-shirt weather sitting outside the cafes/bars.

Barren ice cube? Definitely not in my opinion!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wouldn't really abandon the kids... despite my ski addiction! The school holiday dilemma is just a pain.

Handy Turnip - when it was sunny, did the pistes hold up well? I hate the slush Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My choice in the past was VT for Easter if I booked ahead.

Yes it probably will get slushy on the lower south facing slopes so stay high and North facing later in the day.

VT is not a picture postcard alpine village but there are worse examples of French concrete car parks in the snow around eg Les Menuires.

One option if you can face the uncertainty is to wait until the last moment, watch the snow reports and forecasts and book where the conditions look to be best. I had several amazing Easter weeks doing this, skiing in places that I would not normally have considered.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ginster99, the slopes generally hold up well. They'll start to soften up on the lower slopes late in the day but I'd by no means call it slush. Obviously it depends on the weather but I've experienced more slush in Meribel in March than Val Thorens in April.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy