Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cry for Help...Food in Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Did anyone watch Rick Stein in Bologna repeated this evening. I'm checking skyscanner now, I have got to check out the food for myself. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I read the title and clicked on the thread - anticipating reaching for my credit card in response to the latest humanitarian appeal for starving orphans in Italia....

Instead I got Mountainaddict! Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lechbob wrote:
Did anyone watch Rick Stein in Bologna repeated this evening. I'm checking skyscanner now, I have got to check out the food for myself. Toofy Grin

if your on the BB and flying out of Venice then it is easy. Go to the train station at the top of the Grand Canal and get the train to rome calling at Bologna after 90 mins Happy

I did this in the summer en route form Venice to Florence (recommended).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmm, I have a plan forming.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@letsgetpiste, Thanks for that, I usually find that with a starter and a main I order too much, and my Italian is pathetic, so knowing which is which will help me. I have been caught out a few times, and the chef doesn't like to have food not eaten. Laughing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's not helpful I know but even randomly ordering from the menu is unlikely to be unsatisfactory...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
foxtrotzulu wrote:
vfr4 wrote:
You're getting plenty good advice here, so I'll just mention that "prima and secondi pianti" would more or less mean "first and second plants"

Pianti = plants
Piatti = plates/dishes/courses

Very Happy

Maybe it was a vegetarian restaurant Very Happy (If so, it would be the only one in Italy!)

For all veggies out there - there IS a vegetarian restaurant/hut in the Alps. And it's in Italy! Orestes Hut (Gressoney ski area). The hosts and food are outstanding. You can stay overnight. Downside: access off a black unpisted itinerant off the glacier area (or at least it looks that way on the piste map - maybe there is another access point)! Stayed there in summer - if I ever ski there that's where I'd stay. Carnivore OH equally satisfied and impressed. Not so convenient for the OP though...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
It's not helpful I know but even randomly ordering from the menu is unlikely to be unsatisfactory...

Unlike in France where, if you're my Dad, you end up with sheeps' brains. Skullie
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Where's the update? Hopefully no starvation yet.
Thanks all! Some great info there. All very useful.

Dining out took an amusing (but not at the time) turn last night....After a trip out to Champoluc and a fantastic day covering all corners of the ski area, we were a bit done in and after a sauna/bit of hotel relaxation, we ended up out quite late (for us). We drove to St Vincent, next village along, photographed menus and used Google translate. As a result we found a couple of possibilities - including the one place we have found so far that had chicken on the menu.

However...snow had been falling since lunchtime, the roads were getting bad in parts and our hire car (with no snow tyres) was struggling on the hilly one way streets of St Vincent. We decided to abort, drive back to our hotel in Chatillon and eat there - we'd spotted 'salmone' on the menu and decided we'd have that....

Turns out the restaurant is closed on a Tuesday Shocked . By this point it was after 9pm and we didn't fancy going back out in the snow to find somewhere in Chatillon and start with more menu translations. So we feasted on crisps, cheese and chocolate brownies in our room, washed down with beer and wine... Laughing

Been back to the chicken-dish place in St Vincent tonight. We both had 'Hunter's Chicken', which turned out to be leg and other non-breast bits in an oily, herby sauce. Extra cost for potatoes and grilled veg. Not exactly gourmet food but ok for about €15 each - and nice to have some chicken, irrespective of type.

The French language tip is also a useful one - I can get by (ish) so have tried a bit of that in both restaurant and on the slopes situations.

Two more questions:
1. Is 'Valdostano' a term meaning some form of local produce? Eg Valdostana cutlet, Valdostana platter...Does it mean from Aosta Valley (or similar)?
2. What's Fassone? That one draws a blank on Google Translate...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Valdostano is from the Valley d'Aosta I think and Fassone is a breed of cattle.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers adithorp - that could well explain it wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lechbob wrote:

Yes and was also straight onto the internet checking out flights. Ryanair from Edinburgh cheap. Tempting.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've always thought the Italians had a strange way of doing certain things. I will never forget a few years ago in Sorrento finding this half dilapidated looking bar late at night and a few of us deciding to go in for a drink. There was a fridge full of bottled beers and they also had beer on tap and in the UK you would simply take a bottle or ask for a beer and pay and be given your drink. But no, I had to take a bottle from the fridge to the bar, the barman then printed off this small receipt and pointed at an old man sat on a stool at another small desk on the opposite side of the bar whom I had to take the small receipt to and pay, he then marked the receipt and pointed us back to the barman. I gave the receipt to the barman who had now finished decanting my bottle of beer into a glass. The barman took the receipt and smiled for the first time and I expected at this point to be handed my glass, forgetting this was Italy. No no, we had to return to our table and then he would bring the drinks over to us. It took him 3 more minutes to bring the drinks over, we were the only customers... Going green
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jord92, I believe they have different prices, depending on your whereabouts in the bar i.e. one price for standing at the bar, another for sitting down inside and yet another for sitting outside in the sun..
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mountainaddict, veal/chicken Valdaostana is meat wrapped in ham and cheese covered in breadcrumbs. Type of escaloppe.
I first had it in Cervinia in 1970's...delicious I always try to order it in Italian restaurants.
Bon appetitto Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I was very surprised when we did a week in Sauze D'Oulx, which by all accounts is supposed to be almost exclusively full of Brits, that pretty much every bar in the town did free tapas. It ranged from simple plates of meat and cheese in the sports-type bars to one place that had a veritable buffet table. You could bar hop and get yourself a decent amount of food, forgoing an evening meal if you so desired. Same experience in Courmayeur.
latest report
@Rhoobarb,
Aperitivo 😀
Usually small nibbles varying from cafe to cafe, great fun sniffing the good ones out 😀 it's ok to forgo dinner as we have on many occasions instead bar hopping.

Also found if you keep ordering drink they keep piling you with ham and cheese
snow report
@Jord92, legally you aren't allowed to handle food and drink at the same time you are also handling money, for hygiene reasons. Implementation can sometimes be a little... odd...
snow report
^ that's what contactless cards, ApplePay, etc is for. Smile
snow report
snow conditions
vfr4 wrote:
You're getting plenty good advice here, so I'll just mention that "prima and secondi pianti" would more or less mean "first and second plants"

Pianti = plants
Piatti = plates/dishes/courses

Very Happy

Hmm I was wondering about that too. Happy
snow report
skanky wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Unlike in France where, if you're my Dad, you end up with sheeps' brains. Skullie

Daquise in South Ken always have brains - served with scrambled eggs - on their special menu. One of my absolute top favourite things.
snow conditions
^^^ Shocked Shocked Shocked What sort of brains Mr Lecter?...I mean James the Last Laughing....
ski holidays
@laundryman, but, err, Italy.
snow report
Calves brains.
snow conditions
Now back home after a great 8 days ski in Aosta. We managed to find enough food to survive Very Happy - although we did have a couple more interesting experiences:

1. Lunch in a village restaurant at the Weismatten ski area in Gressoney Valley. All we could fathom was some kind of soup, that (again, using French to get by) was vegetarian. Never seen anything like it when it arrived - a bowl of thick stodge that turned out be a pile of soggy bread -that came with a knife and fork...Turns out it was 'bread soup(!!)' that was onion and cheese flavoured and came with parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top. It was actually delicious - a new dish discovered!

2. Mrs MA's birthday dinner on the south shore of Lake Garda on the way back to Verona Airport. Went to a very smart Mexican restaurant - which we really fancied after our dining tribulations. Both got chicken burritos - that turned out to be pretty awful. Smothered in what we thought was soured cream...but turned out to be garlic sauce; and filled with a coronation chicken-style orange slop....and lettuce. Just about edible but bearing no resemblance to what we know as burritos. The waitress spoke English and wasn't at all impressed when we said we hadn't enjoyed the meal and asked if the garlic sauce had been added in error... rolling eyes
latest report
Oh the odd tips I have learnt on my travels:

1/ if ordering randomly from the menu try and remeber who ordered what. The plate of peas as a starter, the lambs brains in Northern France, the black pudding somewhere else are allthings my wife ordered and claimed no knowledge of.

2/ In Bulgaria the best food is in Turkish restaurants.

3/ In all the Balkans they prefer food cold with congealed fat.

4/ Andouillette sausage in the savoie is truely disgusting. It really is the worst think I have ever eaten.

5/ Cane rat is actually quite nice.
snow report
Quote:

Andouillette

You only ever order it once! It's french, safer with random italian!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had a week where the ski guide decided he'd order on my behalf various local specialties. Most were pretty decent to be fair, but I didn't have a choice, he was quite insistent
latest report
A plate of lardo in Italy ordered by my hubby and another snowHead who shall remain nameless, which turned out to be just that. Sliced fat. Hubby picks every little bit of fat off his food.
snow report
@Hells Bells, just back from IT skiing week, took four big slabs of lardo as I was with a car rather than flying - it is super good and healthy! Smile
snow report
laundryman wrote:

An Italian that banks cash? Seriously?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy