Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowmaggedon 2017

Poster: A snowHead
Got any transfer day stories? Post 'em here.

Currently difficult to access Val d'Isere / Tignes due to snow (chains mandatory)
Compulsory chaining for Valfrejus as well - all vehicles apparently, new rules since the last snowmageddon.
Problems on the Chambery Lyon autoroute and same for Grenoble Lyon... snow ploughs are working non stop to keep the cols clear. Down to one snow covered lane in places.
Maurienne valley is slow going but passable. Problem with a jack knifed lorry.
Slow out of Geneva where it climbs and descends to Bourg en Bresse
Lac road out of Albertville is slow
Jams on the Chamonix road at St Gervais in both directions
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davidof wrote:
Currently difficult to access Val d'Isere / Tignes due to snow (chains mandatory)

Road from Tignes 1800 - 2100 very slow due to idiots without chains! Can see people walking the last 1km into resort Puzzled rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Everything looks closed on the hill at the moment. Avalanche risk or high winds?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter S wrote:
Everything looks closed on the hill at the moment. Avalanche risk or high winds?

Avalanche control started at 7am in Val d'Isere and the mountain was closed to skiers (uphill kind).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hammering it down in Innsbruck. Some flight delays. The incoming plane for our flight home circled for a while then went to Munich.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Friends got to Lyon from here OK early this morning although it was slow going. Stopped snowing here atm. Lots of blasting this morning and looks as if things are pretty slow opening.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great to watch this thread from the comfort of my indoor cycle trainer.

More from a point of view 'thank god i'm not there ' than any schadenfreude.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Waiting in Lech for transfer to INN for the Thompson flight back to STN. Hopefully

Lots of snow here at least a foot in the last 12 hrs
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Got back from 10 Days in Tahoe last week and the day we left it dropped 2-3 feet on the I80 (main road form Tahoe to San Fran) we had a 2 W drive from the rental as they had run out of 4 W drives so snow chains on at the Truckee
I80 junction and then a 2hr drive at 25 MPG max until we could remove them. Interesting drive nearly white out conditions on the passes and could not see the lane markings for snow, still they are all geared up for this so all safe.
Good luck to all those travelling today hope the journey goes well Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
On the bus leaving Moutieres for Val d'Isère st the moment. Will let you know if I get there Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In the south Isere, doesn't look too bad

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Up early to clear snow off van, down to Briancon to meet up with CAF for ski tour, what should have been a 12min drive was double with cars with chains both ways.

Then drive up to the Col du Lautaret and compulsory for cars without snow tyres to have chains, but as ever most drive by the designated laybys thinking they'll be ok only to have to pull up a km up the road to put their chains on rolling eyes

Lots of lovely straights and open bends so easy to get past them all both before and after ski tour, and just loving my 4x4 van, along with the Frenchie I was giving a lift to who is a driver for the hospital!

No sign of any carnage* though we have not had the snow volumes but there again up at the Col (should have taken a picture) drifts in places are 3m high!

*Though only takes one incident
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just driven Les Arcs to Geneva, leaving Les Arcs at 11am. Easy journey. Winter tyres or chains were useful, maybe essential for the first few miles, but from 1200m roads clear and quiet.

Apologies my take is not more exciting.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Our first ever attempt at driving to the alps was more... exciting than expected. St. Albans to Jungfrau. Very glad I bought snow socks for the car. Wasn't too bad once I'd got those fitted; we needed them from interlaken to Lauterbrunnen. I can imagine how bad it could be on a busier week of the year.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Weathercam, we are driving from Puy-St-Vincent to Turin very early tomorrow morning. Any idea what condition the road up to Montgenèvre is in? Stopped snowing here yesterday and the roads locally look alright
latest report
Road from Wörgl to Niederau closed again this morning, mainly Dutch cars with winter tyres but no chains all over the road. Third time this week they have had to close it to cars with no chains. I was even struggling getting to the apartment with spiked tyres but that was on an unploughed road with 25 cm of new snow.
snow report
@Sideshowbob, you should be fine probably will not need chains at all
snow report
Seems to be the hire cars having a problem this afternoon, just had to show someone how to put their chains on, am I wrong in thinking that hire cars don't always have winter tyres?
latest report
@Swissie, Not in France, but Swiss ones do by law.
snow report
We have friends who arrived this afternoon, just from St Jean d'Aulps to Les Gets, in a hire car from Swiss side GVA, with winter tyres but they had to put the chains on and off a couple of times. But nothing serious.
ski holidays
Now have grid lock on the main road in the valley down from me, nothing to do with the weather, but crowds flocking to the Andros Trophy Motor racing event which is on this weekend and main races are held in the evening.

Gits are now parking up in all the "residences" and walking up from here
snow report
Aborted landing at Chambery with Crystal diverted to Lyon, sat on tarmac for 2.5 hours before returning to Chambery.

3.5 hour transfer to St Martin due to snow and sitting stationery for an hour outside Moutier due to an accident on the Val Thorens Road.

Now tucked up in the very nice Alpe hotel in an upgraded room so all is good!
latest report
Marjon, I'm off to St martin my in 2 weeks. Very interested to see how your trip goes!
snow report
@rob.m, will be posting some updates, can message more detail when get back. There certainly appears to be plenty of snow at the moment snowHead
ski holidays
Freezing rain causing some problems in Italy.
snow report
Arrived in Samoens around 3pm No problems at all. A fair few French cars chaining up but easy enough with winter tyres.
snow report
We are in Val Thorens at the moment (& it's just stopped snowing, after 25 hours...) & today witnessed a Renault hatchback (with snow chains fitted) inching its way through the town, struggling to get any traction as the front wheels spun rapidly.

It may have been something to do with the fact that the snow chains were fitted to the rear wheels! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
@Bergmeister, no way rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I flew into Chambery late this afternoon and my journey up the hill would have been straightforward had I not left the lights on my car which had been at the airport for a week...flat battery. rolling eyes I have jump leads but helpful young French guy and I failed to start the car. Battery very flat and it was very cold. Breakdown truck with socking great leads and more oomph did the truck, thanks to Nationwide breakdown cover (free with Flex account). Drive up was straightforward though I passed some cars chaining up in the middle if the road and one, who might have been well advised to do the same, in the ditch. My snow tyres plus conservative driving got me home under clear skies with excellent visibility. I even overtook a couple if unusually slow French drivers. Lovely to see the snow - thought Snowmageddon it isn't.
snow report
Good job it wasn't French school holidays eh @pam w,...?
latest report
Bergmeister wrote:
We are in Val Thorens at the moment (& it's just stopped snowing, after 25 hours...) & today witnessed a Renault hatchback (with snow chains fitted) inching its way through the town, struggling to get any traction as the front wheels spun rapidly.

It may have been something to do with the fact that the snow chains were fitted to the rear wheels! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Brilliant
ski holidays
@mikeycharlton, yes, it was a quiet changeover day. And the snow stopped - where I was at any rate. Nothing like as heavy as Snowmageddon Saturday. I was relieved not to have to fit chains as it was very cold and I had a decent coat on, which I'd have had to take off!
snow conditions
Home safe from Innsbruck but the airport was manic and a few flights diverted to MUC - not mine thank God
snow report
Bit snowy here in MUC...
Ok, roads are covered in snow, but my rwd BMW only spun a twice on my way to the chinese takeaway. Nothing to get excited about.
snow report
It's not a transfer tale - well, unless you're transferring down at maximum speed from the hotel on the Kleine Scheideg - but it is kind of snowmageddony.

Lauberhorn Downhill cancelled for 'too much snow'
latest report
red 27 wrote:
Home safe from Innsbruck but the airport was manic and a few flights diverted to MUC - not mine thank God

You were lucky. We had a six hour delay. Worse for the folk on the incoming flight as they were on the plane for 9 hours!
snow conditions
Driving around in Tahoe with Snow tyres on the Dodge SUV not a problem they do work well but had to chain up though as explained in early post when I hit the I80 but I like the snow tyres they do work well in the white stuff
latest report
Quote:
We are in Val Thorens at the moment (& it's just stopped snowing, after 25 hours...) & today witnessed a Renault hatchback (with snow chains fitted) inching its way through the town, struggling to get any traction as the front wheels spun rapidly. It may have been something to do with the fact that the snow chains were fitted to the rear wheels...

Monsieur Bean or what!! Very Happy

No problems driving down from Gressoney to the main Aosta motorway yesterday, then onward to Verona Airport this morning. All roads clear.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy