Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's best

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
With the current situation in the Alps in many places (weeks of no snow and a heavy crystallised surface), what's the best fall of snow to get now to create the most stability in the snow pack?

1 big massive dump or lots of successive smaller snow falls?

Not knowing much about snow pack science, my simplistic view is that the former puts a lot of load on a weak interface but then the later produces multiple layers and also has high risk of there being at least one weak layer in the snow pack ......

Just to caveat the question, I am not looking for an answer about what is safe and what is not safe to charge off into in the next week, I am just curious what would be preferred at this stage of the season and to produce better conditions for later in season....

Right now I guess anything is better than nothing Shocked Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think off piste on anything steep over 2000m going to be a particular problem this year due to very thick faceted snow layer
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mystyc, it's been a similar scenario in the last few years in the anticipated start to the season and lots of smaller 10-15cm snow falls are deemed to be the best option, however as ever it's the potential of wind that is the real issue and snow transportation.

Out of a controlled ski area I just ski lines in the forest after heavy snow falls and sub 25% and spines (not ridges as stated earlier, surprised no one picked me up on that error!) - and always view all terrain as suspect.

On the whole in a ski domain most terrain is controlled, however as we all know that is not a 100% guarantee.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy