Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Day 1 on new Burton ions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Jeez they are super stiff, giving virtually no ankle movement on the toe edge. I expect they will soften up over the week. Spent about half the day on powder which was fine but on deeply chopped up piste I had a lot of hairy moments.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have Ions. I saw the special edition Redwing leather ones in a shop in Morzine last year and was powerless to resist.

Before, I had Solomon F24s which were as stiff as ski boots. By comparison, the Ions are quite flexible, but are still stiffer than average. You are going to need a bit more knee bend on chopped up, late afternoon pistes but the speed limit on them is huge.

I got sore arches at first with them but just had a pair of custom foot beds made (Jojo at Nevada Sports, Tignes). That has transformed the comfort to a level I have never had before.

Love them.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had Ions and found the same as you - super stiff for a long time. Try leaving the upper zone slightly more loosely laced than normal - that'll get you some flex back.

I went softer on my next pair.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jiagedaping wrote:
I had Ions and found the same as you - super stiff for a long time. Try leaving the upper zone slightly more loosely laced than normal - that'll get you some flex back.

I went softer on my next pair.

Will try that in the morning!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mine have softened up quite abit after about 20-30 days use this season. There about the same as a pair of rulers now.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They'll soften up, Ions are pretty flexy in the grand scheme of things.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Funny, with the Ions I found that the grip of the boot liner on the rear of my ankle (where the liner pinches in around the back below the calf) wasn't tight enough when I tried a pair in the shop last week, so my heel moved around a little and it rubbed, even just rocking back and forth in the shop. I ended up buying the Rulers instead.

I've come to the conclusion that it's just best to keep trying boots until you find a pair that just suits your foot style and therefore fits very snugly and moves with you, regardless (within reason) of what the stated stifness is. (mid-flex and above, I'm ruling out specifically very soft or entry level boots here)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been riding rulers since 1990 so the ions were a bit of a change,. Foot fit was about perfect. I left the top lace completely lose the last two days and they have been much better.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy