Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Guides at St Anton.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are a group of good skiers wanting to ski the steep & deep at St. Anton next season. Does anyone know a good guide there who will chalenge us a bit?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi snowball,

I think we already had a post about this a couple of months ago - see if you can find it. We went with Graham Austick last year...

http://www.skimountaineering.com/

Had a great day. Got to ski the Valluga and lots of other stuff. I'd recommend him and use him if/when we go again.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 27-04-04 10:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Alan, i'll have a look.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Um, sorry to sound stupid, but how do you find old topics on here?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Easiest is to click on the search button (top right of the screen)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The most recent skiing I've done in St Anton has been with the top ski school classes which ski off piste all day long. It's a heck of a lot of fun, at standard ski school prices. Recommended.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alan empty,
Quote:

We went with Graham Austick last year...

Thanks for that - neat site - and the substance looks impressive. English-speaking guides are important for those of us who are lingistically challenged. I can well believe that the ski school would be good - but DG does not mention whether there would always be english-speaking instructors at that level. And there have been comments elsewhere about instructors leading off-piste..
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you join a ski class at St Anton you'll generally find a mix of nationalities in the group, but the instructor will invariably speak good English. As for their professional credentials, I believe that Austrian instructors at that level hold special qualifications for leading off-piste. They issue transceivers, in my experience.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks again, Alan, the site looks promising. I'll try contacting Graham Austick. He is more expensive than the guides I've skied with privately in France (some of them quite famous: eg Zeb Roche who I skied with both last year and this. An absolutely fantastic guide, he gave us a real adventure. Perhaps I'll start a topic about him.) £300 euros per day is quite common in France. Perhaps GA's price is because it's St. Anton?

Yes Nick, I had a really bad instructor "guide" in Verbier, and one in Meribel had no avalanche transciever or or backpack for spade or rope etc. He was surprised that we all did!
Of course as well as often having less snowcraft knowledge they aren't allowed to take clients on glaciers.

Any other suggestions for guides still welcome.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've skied with Graham for the last couple of years. Top Northern English bloke who has been teaching off-piste in St Anton for the last 16 years. Proper skiing (at all levels of off piste), proper English wot like I speak and proper humour. He would be classed as a 'hard-core, extreme skier' if he didn't need his comfort blanket on the Stubbins lift. Wink (Yes please tell him I said that)

Make sure you take Graham's contact details with you when you visit St Anton as the Tourist office suffer from intermittent amnesia attacks and only seem to be able to recall Franz and Sep down at the local ski schools. (no where near as bad as the French but getting there).

PS The Austrians do speak very good English but you might end up with a group of leather shorted Bavarians so it's best to check who's in the group.

Edit - Graham was only charging around 50 quid (not Euros) per person per day (normal group size 4-7 people)

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 27-04-04 13:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Next season Graham will cost £55 (not euros) per person up to 4 people + £25 for each extra.
There will be about 5 or 6 of us so we will be hiring privately. 6 is really the maximum for off-piste, and for the real steeps some guides prefer 3 or 4.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Opps I meant pound notes not Euro's (edited in my last post.)

You stated "£300 euros per day" ( is this a new curency Wink ) but didn't say how many people. It looked like you were paying 300 Euro (or £300 Shocked ) per person.

Graham and his team are really good quality skiers (Tom is an Austrian and Wolfie skis with the likes of Phil Ingle).

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 28-04-04 20:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oops, I meant 300 Euros per day (£200 about) for the group.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy