Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Utah tips? Salt Lake bound!

Poster: A snowHead
So I've abandoned my alps plan for the next fortnight and gone all in with a last second trip to Utah! Fly tomorrow.

Val d was forecast 5cm this week, most of the SLC resorts are looking like 150cm!

Has anyone got any top tips?
I had a day each at park city and snowbird about 9yrs ago but that's it.

I'll be skiing and boarding so the anti boarder brigade at alta can't keep me out! Also plan to check out Snowbird, Solitude and Brighton.

Any hidden gems? I'll have a rental car so access will be OK.

Anywhere I can hire an airbag cylinder? I already have a bag but USA won't permit my cylinder (snowpulse).

Cheers!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 10-01-17 23:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You don't really need an airbag unless you are going outside the gates. Buy day tickets for places at Canyon Sports rather than the ticket window. If you are contemplating a side trip to Jackson Hole probably worth buying a Mtn Collective which has just gone back on sale for limited time. Even if you are planning lots of days at Altabird it might still work out.

Don't miss Snowbasin ( swankiest toilets in the known ski world) and Pow Mtn.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1 for Powder Mountain, excellent area and so quiet in the week (that's even compared to the LCC and BCC resorts). They've expanded the terrain there recently too. Not sure if they do the snowcat tow rope thing too where you get a tow up to an un-lift serviced area. Was about $3 a tow I think last time I was there though that was a long time ago.

Snowbasin looked good, unfortunately fractured my L1 vertebrae there on first run so can only really attest to their blood wagon service, which is excellent by the way! Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Excellent, thanks.

Where do you think will be the least busy at weekends? Powder Mtn?

Hopefully I wont be able to comment on the resue crews when I get back! NehNeh

Pretty excited and haven't packed yet!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Generally speaking (and from reasonably limited experience, as only spent 4 weeks in total in SLC), Snowbird, Alta, Park City were the busiest at weekends, with Brighton and Solitude not too far behind. Basically, the places nearest to downtown SLC for obvious reasons. But, in comparison to Europe, its still quiet and not really much in the way of lift lines to contend with. I suspect Powder Mountain will be pretty quiet at the weekend as its that bit further to get to, there is only Ogden nearby as a town and even then, Snowbasin is nearer for those locals.

You should have a great time, hoping to get back there next year. You can find some nice enough places in SLC for a beer too though don't expect anything too wild, and don't forget you can't by law buy beer of more than 4% ABV Very Happy Seem to recall Squatters microbrew was an OK spot.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Forget Brighton , Solitude is a quiet gem. Love the lodges at Snowbasin , and powder mountain up the road from there is also worth a shout.

Canyon sports or Ski and See for discounted lift tickets.

Visit the Red Iguana for some of the best Mexican food ever but wrap up warm as you have to queue for a table and it can be a fair wait. La Caille for a really nice meal (not cheap) if your travelling with a good lady .

Didn't go this year for only the second christmas in 15 years chosing to visit St Anton instead , and yes i know , the snow reports coming through on email from Ski Utah didn't help.

Are you flying direct with Delta ? if so be interested to know how you find it. Also , with the amount of snow at the moment , hire car = SUV with 4WD without fail , our favourite hotel by far is Little america in downtown (where else could you stay for 2 weeks over christmas in a 600Sqft suit for less than £1k

enjoy Very Happy Very Happy not jealous at all
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+3 for Powder Mountain and Snowbasin.

Deer Valley on a powder day.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not to be negative 😉 but i would put Deer Valley at the bottom of your list, place is so over manicured and expensive to my mind.
I only did 1 day at solitude but might be one of my best, never seen such nice terrain, nice little cliff drops in bounds.
Enjoy!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The above is all good advice.

Check the local info on road closures before driving anywhere.
http://updsl.org/page_canyonAlerts.php
They often close the roads in both big and little Cottonwood Canyons after snow while they blast. Also with the amount of snow they have had the mandatory chain up lights have been on especially in LCC. NB it is unlikely that your rental company will allow you to fit chains. No big deal just park your car in the bus car park at the base of the Canyon and take the bus which is free if you have a pass.

I ski this area staying in SLC and if I am trying to avoid crowds at the weekend I ski at Canyon resort. This is an easier drive than Powder Mountain or Snowbasin.

If skiing Snowbasin make sure you have lunch at Jean Pauls.

Alta is reporting 3 ft of fresh powder from the current storm. ENJOY Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have to say i agree on deer valley we also usually avoid park city and canyons ,however with recent improvements they may be worth a re visit .

Honeycomb Valley at Solitude Very Happy Very Happy

Brighton is fine if you want a resort run by kids , and full of immature teen boarders (my opinion) think it was there i ended up skiing through someones garden
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TQA wrote:
The above is all good advice.

Check the local info on road closures before driving anywhere.
http://updsl.org/page_canyonAlerts.php
They often close the roads in both big and little Cottonwood Canyons after snow while they blast. Also with the amount of snow they have had the mandatory chain up lights have been on especially in LCC. NB it is unlikely that your rental company will allow you to fit chains. No big deal just park your car in the bus car park at the base of the Canyon and take the bus which is free if you have a pass.

I ski this area staying in SLC and if I am trying to avoid crowds at the weekend I ski at Canyon resort. This is an easier drive than Powder Mountain or Snowbasin.

If skiing Snowbasin make sure you have lunch at Jean Pauls.

Alta is reporting 3 ft of fresh powder from the current storm. ENJOY Very Happy

I tend to use this page (or there is a phone app) , shows you where the ploughs are as well as all the traffic info ,road conditions and weather ................ and the live snowplough are , well Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

canyon road up little cottonwood looks a typical example of why you need a decent SUV

http://udottraffic.utah.gov/RoadWeatherForecast.aspx

[/img]
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lots of great tips, much appreciated.

Flying with AA, not a huge fan but was by far the best price wise, given an option I'd normally grab a BA operated flight.

SUV was the only car I looked at, spent a few trips driving round CO in winter, I'd have been stranded every other day in car!

With regards to the chain up signs, does that still apply if you have 4x4/AWD with winter tyres?

Still not managed to get my bag under 23kg...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wideboy wrote:

Flying with AA, not a huge fan but was by far the best price wise, given an option I'd normally grab a BA operated flight.

SUV was the only car I looked at, spent a few trips driving round CO in winter, I'd have been stranded every other day in car!

With regards to the chain up signs, does that still apply if you have 4x4/AWD with winter tyres?

Time to weigh it when you're wearing your snowboard boots and all your clothes. There's always a solution Smile http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3155944/Boyband-singer-collapsed-heat-exhaustion-EasyJet-flight-wearing-clothes-avoid-excess-luggage-fee.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Paha, I was thinking of that very story as I was staring at my bag!

Trying to take both my fat skis and my board, getting close now though so there's hope yet!

Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wideboy wrote:

We usually fly BA so you have 23kgs hold and 23kgs in your carry on , pretty sure AA are the same but have had some dire AA planes depending on where you route through.

As far as chains go , 15 years of driving an SUV in deep snow and 3 things , 1) i have never ever had a rental from SLC airport with snow tires on EVER 2) i have driven them in axle deep snow and never had an issue getting stuck 3) i have never been stopped (including having a local deputy help change a flat ,which i can tell you is no fun at 10,000ft) for not having winter tyres .

we have had ever SUV going from tiny equinox , my god that was horrid going up the canyon with its little 4 pot engine to a suburban which i averaged 4.9 mpg over 2 weeks of driving Smile

last year 15/16 was a buick enclave , which is a posh chevy traverse which i loved as its bloody cold out there and the heated seats and steering wheel were bliss (and my mates rental had neither and wasn't brand new Toofy Grin )
latest report
Look out for this book https://www.amazon.com/Powder-Hounds-Guide-Snowbird/dp/0980131812?tag=amz07b-21 and also the one for Alta. If there is powder, just stay in Little Cottonwood Canyon and explore. The book was for sale in the gift/tee shirt shop inside the Snowbird Centre and is well worth having.

For a lazy Sunday head to Sundance for a morning ski and brunch. Very pretty spot.

Agree with the Red Iguana suggestion too, a great place to eat in SLC but gets very busy so arrive, give them your name then sit outside with lots of others and wait. They do have heaters outside so not too cold.

Also try the Beerhive pub in SLC.
snow report
LOL sitting outside is fine at red iguana if you are close enough to the front of the queue to be near the heaters !! but they do serve free hot apple cider or last queuing experience there is was -22 !!!

Also watch out for a speed trap as you go up towards the Alta carpark , i have lost count of the times i have nearly been caught by them , when the local deputy is bored
latest report
Quote:

LOL sitting outside is fine at red iguana if you are close enough to the front of the queue to be near the heaters !! but they do serve free hot apple cider or last queuing experience there is was -22 !!!

That's why I go in March Very Happy
latest report
I first learnt to ski in SLC having been sent to American fork from the uk for a meeting on the 20th december 2002 , i had never skied , but my wife had spent years living in southern germany and had skied a lot

asked her to join me in SLC for christmas so i could learn to ski , on the first day she said "turn the weather on so we can see how cold it is"

local tv as you know, meaning the station in SLC i looked at the forecast .

"minus 4 i proclaim"

"not to bad" she replied , and after the first 10 minutes on the slopes i learnt a very very valuable lesson !!

I am sure you have worked out what temperature it was (for those with no idea Americans are still in Fahrenheit )
latest report
wideboy, Plenty of good advice here, if you have a 4x4 you don't need chains to get up the canyons, when its enforced, the sheriff monitors traffic and stops anyone without 4x4 or chains. we've been flying into SLC for the past 7 years.

Best place on a weekend is Solitude, always the quietest - depending where you are staying, the hotels can also offer lift ticket deals - often cheaper than Canyon Sports or See n Ski, depending where you ski. They usually offer the SolBright ticket at the same rate, which on a weekend is great. Start in Solitude and drop into Brighton then back again.

Pow Mow is worth heading to, for some easy fun in fresh snow - think when everywhere has been skied out, they still have untouched powder - shouldn't really tell you this, the locals will go nuts Toofy Grin

You wont need an airbag cylinder, but you can probably pick one up locally - worst case head over to Back Country store, they'll have one, if REI don't.

Theres plenty to do, so many different places to eat, depending what you like, and each ski area is different. Personally I'd avoid Vailville ( Park City/ Canyons ) but if that's your thing you can find some good terrain.
ski holidays
Forgot to mention back country.com

The warehouse is huge and what they don't have there they ship next day from the huge Miami warehouse

Another fantastic recommendation for a shop if anyone is ever in SLC , http://www.thesportloft.com

Jeremy and Earl are the best boot fitters I have come across

Last year as I wasn't going to SLC I used the most recommended guy on SH

I can 100% vouch for the fact he does not come close to those guys , so much my wife is hanging on till we are back this year
ski holidays
Alright folks,

Thought a wee update may be in order for anyone else thinking of a Utah trip.

Gutted I didn't see the backcountry tip earlier in the week, but my insurance just bought me some nice kit from REI instead Smile

Still over a week left of my trip but so far i've learned:

Utah this morning (daily news) is a great source of ski conditions and forecasts, as is Ski Utah website.
Ski resorts start updation snow reports around 4.30am, so lots of time to plan your daily missions.

My rental SUV did indeed come with snow tyres (thankfully!!!), from Alamo if that helps anyone.

Al the canyon roads have been 4x4 with winters or 2wd wih chains since I arrived, but you can park at the bottom of most and grab a free shuttle bus. Roads have been sketchy even to get that far though so i'm glad I plumped for the SUV.

As mentioned, cheap-er lift tickets from most of the ski shops/ski hire places, discounts from a couple of dollars to over 20! Well worth a side trip on the way to the hill. Thanks for the tip guys Very Happy

American Airlines are useless and lost my ski bag, then didn't bother to tell me when it arrived... I gave up calling and emailing after 3 days and went back to the airport, they had no idea where my bag was but let me have a rummage in the lost bags room, where the only ski bag there was mine... facepalm.

Skied a few places so far:

Powder Mountain: Great terrain and long lasting freshies! Bit of a drive but well worth it. $75ish

Solitude: Nice and quiet even at the weekend. $80ish

Brighton: Great terrain, lots of steeper tree runs, long lasting freshies, lots of stoners! $75ish

Deer Valley: Bit posh, more piste than offpiste but still lots of tree runs and ungroomed runs. Skiers only, which I find a little offensive (but 19inches of fresh bribed me today!) $105 (Jan ticket), normally $113 (with discount).

Prices above are with the discount!!! Exchange rate is pretty painful!!!!

A great wee app from ski utah, well worth installing.

Also, FREE rossi powder skis on a 'Monster dump' day (buy 2 tins of monster from a rental place when ski Utah declares a dump (over 12inches!). No use to me as I only brought my big guns anyway but maybe useful for someone else.

Also, my legs are no kind of shape or form to ski this much fresh snow, i'm pretty broken already!

Hope the above info helps someone else.

Cheers!
ski holidays
ooh, also, as mentioned above, there are cops EVERYWHERE on the canyon roads, and the speed limits are pretty low if you're used to driving on Scottish B roads!

But to be fair I keep seeing folks that have planted their cars into the central reservation on the 4 lane highways...
latest report
just spent 12 days over Christmas at Snowbird, in the Cliff Lodge - I missed all my mountain cafe's where I could take a (cheap) coffee break whilst my kids lapped me...

great time was had by all.
snow report
Glad your enjoying it

Try the tanger outlet at park city for a few bargains as it must be sale time

Interesting Alamo had winters on , assume weather may have seen them switch
snow report
It's probably easier for them to stick real tyres on than lose all their rental stock in accidents! Not sure what the other companies are supplying, I may have just been lucky.

Freezing rain in SLC made for interesting driving to Powder Mountain the other day, but it also put off everyone else and it was super quiet! Very Happy

Also had a free private morning tour from one of the mountain hosts at Powder Mountain, I tried to say no but think he was cold just meeting and greeting, was good fun and quicker than looking at a piste map! Showed me some nice off piste tree runs too.

Worth speaking to the mountain hosts if you're new to the area, they're volunteers so just do it for the craic (and free family season passes!). If you see Gerald say hi!
ski holidays
wideboy, Glad you are enjoying it, always had winter tyres on our 4x4 too, but then used Alamo also wink

Powder is always quiet tbh, they only allow 3k users on the mountain a day IIRC, spread them out over all the terrain = not many Toofy Grin Great little fun place though Madeye-Smiley I take it you met the gnarly gents on the button lift - Tim and RJ, always good for some craic.

Where are you staying ?
ski holidays
Staying in Holladay south of town, grabbed a wee apartment.

Super handy for the cottonwoods.

Another top tip is arrange some hire car insurance when on winter jollies, just cracked my windscreen, also happened last time I was in CO. Didn't notice the chip until I put the heating on, instant massive crack. Luckily have the full insurance so hopefully no hassles or bills!

Brighton was insane today, was feeling under-gunned even with my Sick Day 125s! In hindsight I could/should have grabbed a board today...
Locals were hucking cliffs into bottomless powder, dumping all day too.

Still not been to Alta or Snowbird as i've purely followed the snow. Powder Mtn hasn't managed to open for a few days due to weather/snow/highway avalanche work, it's going to be crazy deep when they're back in business!

Storm due to run out of puff by Friday, maybe no fresh snow until Wed next week.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cops are everywhere around Slc and allegedly if you're not LDS you are defacto guilty. Church, state and public services definitely not independent.
ski holidays
Guilty of what?
snow report
Whatever infringement you've been pulled for
snow conditions
If you are in Holladay - for shopping on gear, go to Sierra Trading Post. I shop on line regularly, you can do the same and choose store delivery, or just go to the store. Trader Joes is next door, plus a Ross Dress for Less should you be so inclined...

Regarding the cops, after having attended Uni in Salt Lake, that is severely over exaggerated. Never had a problem with the cops. True there isn't the division of church and state as it should be, but it doesn't go that far. The only sort of alcohol available in grocery stores is beer, everything else must be purchased from a state liquor store. That's a bit weird, but nothing to be scared of.
ski holidays
Never found Utah to contain anything but some of the nicest most polite Americans I have ever met

Sure SLC was built by the LDS
ski holidays
--- just in across my facebook feed... the Patagonia outlet in Salt Lake - it's in Sugarhouse, just off the 13th East exit, starting tomorrow, and extra 30% off everything in their already discounted store.

I've been to these sales before, and you pick up some nice Patagonia gear, for pennies...if I were there, I'd be going.

Likely, there will be a line to get in as well.
latest report
Deer valley has some of the best bumps I've ever seen and the average punter doesn't ski powder so it (at least when we were there) had some of the best powder...
snow report
@under a new name, best grub I've had in a US ski area too.
snow report
Stop fannying around and get yourself to Little Cottonwood Canyon Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy