Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skier dies in La Plagne

Poster: A snowHead
DrLawn wrote:
@Pending,
I think what @Dave of the Marmottes means is those little trails to the side of the piste, typically on the high side of a road that kids just find too amusing to show off their "off piste" skills.
These tracks often contain a couple of big dips, that kids just love.

They also often terminate in small jump back onto the road.

Children live in a cocoon and they often consider that there is nobody else on the planet that matters.

They just don't realise that other people could be coming down the road and may well not be able to avoid them, they are just too wrapped up in their own sugar coated world.

Anyway ... we all have to take care all the time to reduce the possibility of an accident.

The problem.with those is once they have.done the couple of dips, the kid has virtually no choice of when they hit the piste again.
In an ideal world the re entry point would be taped off so people on the piste moved over a.bit
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I once got owned by 3 unexpected elements in quick succession which resulted in me stopping too late and shoulder barging a guy in a lift queue. However, I'd seen it coming and was quick enough to sling my arm around him to stop him falling. Poor guy was so confused whether to be annoyed with me for barging into him or thankful for catching him Confused
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DP - I hope that I, and anyone I know, never have the "pleasure" of skiing in the same resort as you - never mind meeting you 😷
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dr John wrote:
@Pruman, stands to reason the second one was obsessed with his app. First one I'll be charitable and say it was an honest screw up, he got his board out of the way at least.
I got totalled 4 years ago in Tignes. Pulled at at the side of the piste to check on a friend who'd stacked it just off the side, next thing I'm upside down, then sliding down the piste sans skis. Young seasonaire boarder "didn't expect me to stop" and ploughed straight into me. Luckily (ha!) she hit me square board onto my boots so avoided compound fractures (my skis remained, perfectly aligned, exactly where I'd been standing), instead I did an involuntary triple salchow, styling it out with the more unusual shoulder landing.
After much blue language from yours truly, she said a meek sorry and sodded off sharpish.
If her name isn't Sophie or Lucinda or Emily I'll be very surprised.

I'd have said Sophie/Lucinda/Emily at least should have let you take her for dinner

Modern kids, nawkers
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scrumpy wrote:
@DP - I hope that I, and anyone I know, never have the "pleasure" of skiing in the same resort as you - never mind meeting you 😷

why's that?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DrLawn wrote:

Anyway ... we all have to take care all the time to reduce the possibility of an accident.

I seem to remember you smacking into the side of me at high speed on EOSB. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think it was Viper who once said 'Fly fast jets long enough, sooner or later something like this is going to happen.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rungsp wrote:
My wife smelt alcohol...a lot of alcohol.

The biggest contribution that could be made to safety on the slopes would be to ban the sale and consumption of alcohol on the mountain.

I realise that sentiment isn't going to win me popularity points here and that due to commercial interests in resorts it isn't going to happen but I wish it would.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agreed alcohol is definately a factor, but it will never be banned. Also it's hard to draw a line between a cheeky single beer or radler with lunch vs getting tanked up on best part of a bottle of red or starting apres drinking at 2pm on the mountain and then skiing down the home run half cut.

Also more of a problem at the big and inevitably crowded French mega resorts than at a quieter local / family resort.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dogwatch wrote:
rungsp wrote:
My wife smelt alcohol...a lot of alcohol.

The biggest contribution that could be made to safety on the slopes would be to ban the sale and consumption of alcohol on the mountain.

I realise that sentiment isn't going to win me popularity points here and that due to commercial interests in resorts it isn't going to happen but I wish it would.

Not sure why I should lose a lunchtime beer because others can't control their skis/boards?

In both those cases in Prumans videos, the boarders were (my opinion) hugely incompetent on what looked excellent conditions and wide pistes.

Skiing competently is about more than being able to stop, it's like driving, cycling etc in that you need to plan a route down a pitch, being aware of potential issues (groups of beginners, tight spots etc) and navigating through it.

Most experienced skiers do this unconsciously - most of those causing crashes don't do so intentionally but their lack of planning makes them just as culpable.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yup, two days ago I had to brake and turn quickly and just contacted my tails with the ladies ski tips leading to us both having a fairly gentle fall. There was a place where a piste split and then rejoined a few hundred metres down, she skied from the wide open piste and turned sharply right across the exit from the narrow one without looking to see if there was anyone coming down it. Typical issue with someone skiing straight across a piste from a hidden position... what could possibly go wrong? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Its been super crazy here. On the 5th of January the local newspaper reported that over the New Year period there was on average 150 people A DAY going to hospital in Sion with injuries, the rescue teams were struggling to cope. Lovely and calm now.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 8-01-17 18:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just avoid Xmas week/New Year/Half term and any danger on the slopes reduces hugely.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nelly0168 wrote:
Not sure why I should lose a lunchtime beer because others can't control their skis/boards?

Skiing competently is about more than being able to stop..... it's like driving.

Maybe because you're then in danger of not being able to control your skis? DOn't forget alcohol has more of an effect at altitude.

And would you drink and drive? Little Angel
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarpa wrote:
Yup, two days ago I had to brake and turn quickly and just contacted my tails with the ladies ski tips leading to us both having a fairly gentle fall. There was a place where a piste split and then rejoined a few hundred metres down, she skied from the wide open piste and turned sharply right across the exit from the narrow one without looking to see if there was anyone coming down it. Typical issue with someone skiing straight across a piste from a hidden position... what could possibly go wrong? rolling eyes

That's the main issue at Ski Dubai. I know it's not a real mountain but basically you have a fast indoor black run (it's not really a black run it's just a section of narrow and near vertical piste) which merges at the bottom with the easy slope. But people coming down the easy slope ignore the signs which state this fact, and ski right across, sometimes even into the black run, without looking for people coming down it or anticipating the fact that they'll be traveling faster.

I've come down into that section with people cutting a huge arc turn right into the black run exit, going right up to the barrier, and it leaves you nowhere to go.
latest report
nelly0168 wrote:

A lunchtime beer is fine, I would say.

The problem is more when you have people going into a mountain top bar and spending the afternoon there, then skiing back afterwards. That's much closer to the equivalent of drunk driving... people attempting to ski beyond their ability (because they feel braver), with reduced response times and less ability to focus. It's a natural recipe for disaster.
snow report
Quote:

Disagree. Most are just a danger to themselves when they get tanked - I'm thinking Mooserwirt and KK descent or that from Solden's mid station at the end of the day. Normal people know when they've had enough.

No, the biggest contribution would be to match the uplift capacity to the safe downhill capacity given the prevailing conditions, rather than just flogging as many tickets as possible. Better piste markings and speed restrictions in known blackspots, together with more assertive patrolling and ticket confiscating would help.
snow report
martinm wrote:
nelly0168 wrote:

Skiing competently is about more than being able to stop..... it's like driving.

Maybe because you're then in danger of not being able to control your skis? DOn't forget alcohol has more of an effect at altitude.

No, of course I wouldn't drink drive - and I live in Scotland, so it's effectively zero tolerance now.

However, I am entirely in control of my skis after a lunchtime beer. As DP says a couple up, there's a world of difference between a swift beer with my pizza and people getting belted in the Folie Douce then skiing back down to Val.
latest report
martinm wrote:
nelly0168 wrote:

No, of course I wouldn't drink drive - and I live in Scotland, so it's effectively zero tolerance now.

However, I am entirely in control of my skis after a lunchtime beer. As DP says a couple up, there's a world of difference between a swift beer with my pizza and people getting belted in the Folie Douce then skiing back down to Val.
snow report
martinm wrote:
nelly0168 wrote:

snow report
Scarpa wrote:
I find this all a little unfeasible...

Whenever did you learn to brake?
ski holidays
nelly0168 wrote:

However, I am entirely in control of my skis after a lunchtime beer.

Ah the 'I'm not affected cos I'm different' defence Smile

Why do you think there's a very low limit in Scotland?

You don't suddenly go from sober to drunk - it's a gradual thing.
latest report
[/quote]

Ah the 'I'm not affected cos I'm different' defence Smile

Why do you think there's a very low limit in Scotland?

You don't suddenly go from sober to drunk - it's a gradual thing.[/quote]

<slow>

Where did i say I wasn't affected?

The limit here is to discourage drink driving completely, due to the catastrophic effect it has on lives - I am aware of that.

And while I don't touch a drop of I'm driving, I reckon I can ski in control after a demi of eurofizz.
snow conditions
nelly0168 wrote:

nelly0168 wrote:

It does of course depend on the strength of the stuff - I'm a wino so can't comment !!

snowHead
snow conditions
martinm wrote:
nelly0168 wrote:

nelly0168 wrote:

snowHead

Are you off your head?

Of course I am marginally affected by one demi while still being entirely in control.

Crack on though, you reply to get the last word............
ski holidays
martinm wrote:
Don't forget alcohol has more of an effect at altitude.

Not that I wish to encourage even more drinking, but I believe this is a myth which allegedly has not been borne out by controlled studies - the effects of alcohol are the same regardless of altitude. However there is a small effect on cognitive ability due to altitude itself, and perhaps this should be taken into account by everyone on the mountain.
snow conditions
motyl wrote:
martinm wrote:
Don't forget alcohol has more of an effect at altitude.

Not that I wish to encourage even more drinking, but I believe this is a myth which allegedly has not been borne out by controlled studies - the effects of alcohol are the same regardless of altitude. However there is a small effect on cognitive ability due to altitude itself, and perhaps this should be taken into account by everyone on the mountain.

Interesting - I was just going by the speech given when flying!
ski holidays
@martinm, Old pilots' tales? Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thursday in Mayrhofen - Harakiri after lunch. One small beer. One wipeout. Pending junior had to climb up 2m and retrieve a ski for me and oh boy I'm still paying for that one.

Friday, much colder. A longer lunch. 2 large beers. Harakiri again, no wipeout. "Mum, that was much better than yesterday"... Co-incidence? Maybe
snow report
motyl wrote:

Or just BA's excuse to give you even less for your money? snowHead
latest report
motyl wrote:

Not a pilot (although in the aviation world) - and I'd have thought that selling you more was in their interests Smile
snow conditions
dp wrote:

Or just BA's excuse to give you even less for your money? snowHead

Given my recent experience of paying for an 'upgrade' too blimmin right!!!! NehNeh
latest report
@Pruman,

I'm a bit surprised this hasn't been said already but that second video is just a text book example of someone who shouldn't be left in charge of a pair of blunt scissors let alone anything more hazardous. It is really not a reflection of the limitations of snowboards.

This guy:
1. was going too fast for his skill level
2. on a wide open and quiet piste chose a line that brought him close to other skiers for no apparent reason
3. clattered a bloke in front of him who was skiing perfectly reasonably and quite slowly
4. didn't even offer an apology (asking whether he was alright is not an apology)
5. seemed quite excited about having had the crash rather than embarrassed
6. saw fit to celebrate it by posting his headcam footage and drawing attention to the speed

What an absolute tool.
Any resort that had that footage drawn to their attention should make it very clear that he is not welcome. Ever.
snow report
Pruman wrote:
It's partly the laws of physics innit? In these two cases a skier would have easily avoided the collisions;

http://youtube.com/v/-CsPmWz7JSQ

http://youtube.com/v/PDwuHhaGemE

What an absolute f*****g idiot. This guy is straight longing this run and is completely out of control, the fact he can't turn out of the way says it all. If this happened to me I'd of punched his face inside out... complete lady's front bottom. Rant over. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Boarders seem to be getting a hard time again.

Just to prove you can be 'an absolute f*****g idiot' with two planks on... so here's one showing what *most skiers ski like (reminder - I ski and board).

http://youtube.com/v/Ndt_fziu_pQ

*Almost none, but that doesn't seem to matter here.
snow report
@Crispyapplepie,

Your first video, Skier was standing in a good place, boarder ok a bit out of control, but everything he was doing, discussing his lines, waiting for others to catch up, etc etc says to me he isn't a B3ll 3Nd and it was just an accident - we all catch edges / hit ice from time to time, its just sometimes something / someone is in the way.

The second video the guy is a B3LL 3ND!!

@bar shaker, That was her jacket that made her fall, not her ability (or there lack of!) Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Boarder 1 is a bit of a bell end as he was spending so much time ordering other people around he failed to make his traverse and then lacked to skills to deal with an icy entrance. I'd have given him a good bit of the "You're a total cockwomble" chat. I think there is an element of double standards because boarders can get around more of the mountain at an earlier stage than skiers. Reality is he is probably as incompetent as a second week "easy blues" skier and therefore he believes he is innocent as to him it is an unavoidable accident. My argument would be - if you choose to get into terrain that will cause you to have accidents you're as culpable as an expert going too fast who misjudges. I do think a beginner skier would be more likely to get a pass on a similar take out.
snow report
Classic example of a Cock out of Control - if it had been my OH he'd hit she might have been the one knocked over etc

http://youtube.com/v/RoXk9qY1fWU
snow conditions
Ah the sanctimony levels in this thread are off the charts.....
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
Classic example of a Cock out of Control - if it had been my OH he'd hit she might have been the one knocked over etc

http://youtube.com/v/RoXk9qY1fWU

Pedantry alert - even if he was sking uphill wasn't he technically the ahead skier so it was your duty to plot your course to avoid him? Doesn't pass any measure of common sense but the FIS code is flawed.

Re sanctimony - most of us will have taken evasive falls or otherwsie made sacrifices of equipment etc to avoid hitting other people even through their fault. I think that entitles us to be a little sanctimonious about those who regard collisions as "chill out man it was just an accident" or at the extreme a good laugh. Very rarely is a collision unavoidable through sensible line choice and appropriate speed even if another variable is introduced (such as ice or binding exploding)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy