Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chairlift tragedy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Alastair Pink, plenty of new ones in Austria (also saw one in 3V this year), that have a foot rest per seat that goes between your legs with small pegs each side to rest skis on, rather than one between two with wide foot rests. Works nicely with skis. No idea if the boarders get on with them.
Also seeing more and more locking bars.
Have also seen people so desperate to get the bar down that they've managed that before half the people for that chair have even sat down.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The European measure a skiing resort size by the kilometre of pistes. The American measure it by area of acreage.

In Europe queues are solved by increasing the number of chairlifts so there are mega resorts with 200+ chairlifts . In North America they don't believe it. Instead the number chairlifts is kept to the bare minimum and 3 to 5 queues spreading at different directions are common at one chairlift station. It is therefore necessary to have extra staff employed just to tell each queue when they can get into a chairlift. The largest North American resort has less than 40 lifts.

In Western Europe it is dangerous for a chairlift without a restraining bar so all chairlifts with more than two seats would have them. In USA a chairlift without safety bar can be easily found although each seems to run at a speed slower than that with a safety bar.

If you want more safety, more chairlift facilities, heated seat, windshield bubbles etc stay in Europe. On the other hand if you rate a resort by how much it charges for the ski pass you have to cross the pond.

It is a common sense to me if there is no a safety bar to prevent the skiers from moving away from the seated position during the transport then fall accident will be a lot greater than that with a safety bar.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

No idea if the boarders get on with them

Meh, ok, not really any worse than normal. If you're all snowboarders, then theres no real issue, you just rest the board flat on the peg at an angle and put your free foot on it or snag the peg with your toe or heel. If you're in mixed company, then I always try to go for an outside edge spot if possible, then you can angle out to the side and keep out of the way. If not, you can end up clattering and get clattered by the skiers a bit while stuff sorts itself out. The worst bit is if you get someone who thinks they've got their skis rested on the bar, but are actually resting on your board so you have the full weight of their skis/boots/legs pushing down on your one ankle along with your board too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
To me the "safety" bar is as much about "comfort" and "relaxation". With no bar I have my feet dangling, nowhere to rest my arms and I would be very conscious of sitting back in the chair. On a European chair lift I feel calm and relaxed.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At Les Contamines they have the antisubmarining bar on several of theur chairs but even then not on each seat so you need to check or remember which seat on which chair lift has them if you want to take advantage of them.

I see an article is putting the fall down to an electrical fault but how/why it caused the fall wasn't mentioned. Sudden stop?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I read that it was a sudden stop that caused the chair to hit a pylon and tipped them out. Awful.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmm Tgr suggests that Ski Granby better have good insurance. 2 little girls will be a lot richer but with no mum unless some no bar defence mitigates it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy