Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites From 6th Jan 2017? Do Yer? Don't Yer?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've previously had three or four single days skiing in the Dolomites (Madonna di Campiglio and Cortina) but never been for a lengthy stay.

All that was meant to change this season, with flights to Verona and car hire booked for 6-15 January 2016. No accommodation sorted yet as I've been hanging fire and monitoring snow conditions. It's still not looking like any significant snow coming any time soon for the Dolomites.

I know that they have impressive snow making and there are loads of runs open but the question is do we stick with the Dolomites and its man made snow? Or do we drive to somewhere like Aosta with its more recent natural snow cover and winter wonderland appearance?

Is there natural snow at altitude in the Dolomites? Or is it all green/brown with snow only on the ski runs - which largely seem the case on the webcams I've been checking.

Cheers!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mountainaddict, currently in mdc it's white over only at the top at Groste bare lower down, plenty of pistes open with more opening this weekend - the man made is really good and wide pistes and with lots of tree lined runs in a naturally very pretty place you don't really notice the lack of snow
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tough question. Dolomite skiing is about piste skiing, value and stunning scenery. All of this will still be there In January without a significant dump.

The milky way offers a lot of piste skiing ( bit more French - lots of runs in the same bowl. Not the same level of charm, value or scenery. But - theres been a lot of snow there which means off piste will be on offer.

I'd go for the dollies but go somewhere linked to the sella ronda so you've got a lot of options.
MDC is always charming, with or without snow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Atomic_Mick and cameronphillips2000 - food for thought there.... Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
was in Corvara mid January 2014 with very little natural snow and had a fantastic time. As long as the Sella Ronda remains open, unless you are both extensive off piste skiers, I would recommend sticking with the plan. My wife is a lower level intermediate, skiing for about 10 years (since meeting moi), and this remains her favorite ski trip of all time.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As lovely as the Dolomites are I'd head to somewhere with more snow if you have no accommodation booked. To me skiing on a white strip of man made just doesn't seem like a proper ski trip. Think Aosta Valley / Monterosa is a great plan. With a car you might be able to day trip to Cervinia as well (happy to be corrected there.)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think its been pretty warm across the alps since the last snow fell in Western Italy. As such, it may be whiter but I'm not sure the off piste will really be worth changing your plans (or driving from Verona which would be a fair chunk further - prob another 3 hours?). Off piste is only really good within two to three days of fresh snow when temps have been low. It becomes pointless more or less immediately if temps are high.

The more interesting q is what do you do if Eastern Austria gets hit next week? Either way I'd hang on till last minute and decide then.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I booked my Dolomites holiday in August, so am committed -- Webcams showed snow cannons in Selva going full blast last night. Smile

Aosta is a long drive from Verona - as 8611 hints, Austria may come into the equation...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy