Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal / Thomson Ski Packing Advice Please

Poster: A snowHead
Family of 4 travelling from Glasgow to Turin (Sestriere) on Tuesday.
I've booked Ski Carriage (4 x sets on the buy 2 get 2 free deal).
The plan was to use 2 double padded ski bags each with 2 sets of skis in that come in just under 15kg and then use 4 x boot bags (around 5 kg each).
I've just read the online instructions, and it seems I've ballsed up.
It looks like I needed to pay extra for the double bags to get the 20kg allowance and that we are only allowed 1 piece per traveller - In addition to the regular 20kg bag allowance.
How best to proceed?
I could put a pair of skis and 1 set of boots in each double bag - this looks to be allowed if it comes in sub 15kg (which it would).
And then 2 x regular ski bags (non-padded), with the other 2 sets of boots having to go into checked luggage.

Or I could ring up and pay an extra £40 (2 x £20) to increase the luggage allowance on the double bags to include 2 sets of skis each.
I fear a last minute trip to Decathlon to pick up two single padded bags Puzzled

Any words of wisdom for this newbie? I think I'm going to hire in resort next time Mad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm confused, why do you need to pay extra? You've booked 4 x ski carriages, if they question just 2 bags then say you booked 4 because it was buy 2 get 2 free and then didn't decide to buy the kids new skis in the end!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We put skis in ski bag and boots in main luggage.. fill boots with stuff and we never get above 20kilo..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski carriage
Your ski carriage allowance is one bag at 15kg, which may contain one set of skis and poles or a board. You can also pack clothes in this bag, as long as it stays under 15kg. This costs £40 return.

Ski carriage for a double ski or board bag (one that’s been designed for two sets of kit) is 20kg and costs £60 return. This bag must contain two sets of equipment. If there’s only one set in the bag, the weight allowance is reduced to 15kg and no refund will be provided

You can use one of the larger ‘coffin-style’ bags by paying the £40 return carriage charge, allowing a checked allowance for this item of 23kg total. If you choose this option, no other hold baggage is allowed.

I was hoping carriage would be a bit more flexible - I'd rather use 2 ski bags than 4, but I'm not sure how strict they will be.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We are with crystal.. as always... two pairs of skis and one pair of snow shoes in ski box.. never a problem.. £35 per person..
20 kilo in main luggage.. hand luggage with helmet or other stuff..

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 28-12-16 20:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh I see, I always take my board bag and fill it with clothes and don't have other checked baggage so the weight of 18kg has never been an issue, I didn't realise there were other stipulations if you also had checked baggage, sorry. Do you know for sure you'll be over the 15kg on each bag?

Edit: Thinking about it you've basically paid for 4 x 15kg anyway, surely it makes sense on a space basis in the plane for that allocated 60kg to be in 2 bags rather than 4?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 28-12-16 20:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do you know for sure you'll be over the 15kg on each bag?

I can get 2 pairs of skis in each bag to come in just under 15kg for each bag with boots in main allowance, but if they check ask, I'm going to have to split them.
I suppose I could risk it and take another couple of ski sleeves (unpadded) as a fall back, but it'd be a pain to start shuffling luggage at checkin (Mrs OTS wouldn't be happy! Twisted Evil ).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Edit: Thinking about it you've basically paid for 4 x 15kg anyway, surely it makes sense on a space basis in the plane for that allocated 60kg to be in 2 bags rather than 1?

Easy there tiger - you're falling into the trap of applying logic. Laughing

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 28-12-16 20:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've never seen them check inside bags personally, and actually I don't think they have the right, only customs/security can.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They won't want to lift two bags that weigh 30kg each.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I expect the policy has been introduced to make a bit more cash out of people who book one ski bag and carry two or more pairs in it.

Your booking allows you 4x bags @ max 60kg but you want to carry 2x bags @ max 40kg. You'd be having a bad day at check-in to not get that through, but ymmv Confused
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OTS wrote:
Edit: Thinking about it you've basically paid for 4 x 15kg anyway, surely it makes sense on a space basis in the plane for that allocated 60kg to be in 2 bags rather than 1?

Easy there tiger - you're falling into the trap of applying logic. Laughing

Hahaha!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You'd be having a bad day at check-in to not get that through

I think you're probably right. I'll wing it and report back.

Thanks all wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have a great holiday!
snow conditions
OTS wrote:

Puzzled

Was replying to Minion's comment about putting 60kg into 2 bags rather than four. As I remember, airlines get pretty upset about bags over about 25kg; H+S issues for baggage handlers.
latest report
Was replying to Minion's comment about putting 60kg into 2 bags rather than four. As I remember, airlines get pretty upset about bags over about 25kg; H+S issues for baggage handlers.

Aah I see. Yes, 30kg per bag would be a H&S disaster waiting to happen. I think I have a plan, which involves buying another checkin bag, but hey ho.

I seriously think that this will be the first and last time I take our own skis - at least whilst the kids are still coming!
ski holidays
@OTS My experience with Thomson is that they allow you to split your 20kg per person allowance across the whole party and you can take more than 1 bag per person provided that the total weight is not more than 20kg each. Ski boots can be carried in a separate bag but are part of your hold allowance.

Three of us travelling to Innsbruck the week before Christmas took 2 suitcases and 2 boot bags as our hold luggage (less than 60kg total weight). Having booked three carriage of skis we put 1 pair and clothes in a single ski bag and 2 pairs plus clothes in a double ski bag (less than 15kg and 20kg respectively).

I recall that no single piece of hold luggage can weigh more than 23 kg.
snow conditions
Paulk that sounds promising. I'll put on my best faux Glaswegian accent and smile sweetly. What could possibly go wrong Laughing
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
I expect the policy has been introduced to make a bit more cash out of people who book one ski bag and carry two or more pairs in it.

Your booking allows you 4x bags @ max 60kg but you want to carry 2x bags @ max 40kg. You'd be having a bad day at check-in to not get that through, but ymmv Confused

As far as I am aware that policy has always been the case.

But has never been enforced.

While I have never had two pairs of skis, I have always packed clothes around my skis as padding, and I have never seen them open or weigh any ski bag on any Crystal flight I have been on.
snow conditions
weve been with crystal many time, and weve always packed two pairs of skis per bag, just make sure it fits the weight profile (ie 15kg) weve just come back from Turin and as the Thompson flight going out was not full they didn't weigh the ski bags or the hand baggage, id hazard a guess that your flight wont be full either. Coming back well basically they cant find their a***s with two hands at Turin, checkin is a pain as its obviously above the mentality of the system and weight checking is the least of their worries rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
My experience many times with Crystal, via Manchester, is that max bag weight if flying with Thompson is 23kg. Otherwise EU limit is 25kg.
If paid for 2 ski carriage, fine to put 2 sets in 1 bag but not to exceed 23kg total bag weight. Else take 2 bags coimbined weight not over 30kg (2x 15). Pay for "double" bag only and it's technically only 20kg - never done that myself.
Always had bag weighed, never inspected, but just asked how many sets/boards and checked with what system says I've paid for.
What you put in is really up to you, just a chance it might get delayed in arriving as theoretically large/heavy bags can be offloaded if plane overweight - don't know if that's a real risk.
snow conditions
Grizzler wrote:
My experience many times with Crystal, via Manchester, is that max bag weight if flying with Thompson is 23kg. Otherwise EU limit is 25kg.
If paid for 2 ski carriage, fine to put 2 sets in 1 bag but not to exceed 23kg total bag weight. Else take 2 bags coimbined weight not over 30kg (2x 15). Pay for "double" bag only and it's technically only 20kg - never done that myself.
Always had bag weighed, never inspected, but just asked how many sets/boards and checked with what system says I've paid for.
What you put in is really up to you, just a chance it might get delayed in arriving as theoretically large/heavy bags can be offloaded if plane overweight - don't know if that's a real risk.

think youll find its 20kg for hold bag, 5kg for carry on and 15kg for 'single' carriage,
latest report
Can I refer this to the flying v driving thread

Very Happy snowHead Skullie
ski holidays
@iskar, With Thompson, included in the normal ticket is 5kg hand & 20kg hold (which does not per se include long or equipment bags, apparently - but never tried getting skis/board and all other stuff in under 20kg anyway).
If you pay for additional (stress additional) ski/board carriage it's a further 15kg max for 1 "carriage" item, excluding usual debate about whether you can put 2 sets in ( which they say no, but...). Or, in more recent years, you pay less than 2 times 15kg's worth and get to take 2 sets or 2 boards or one of each, up to an additional 20kg in 1 bag; and must be only in 1 bag, they say, and must have 2 sets in, else you're only allowed 15kg... But you can combine your 2x single 15kg carriage allowance into 1 bag also, up to handling allowance of 23kg (used to be 25, some say it still is).
I can't get our stuff into a double bag at 20kg, can at 23 - so I've previously paid a tad extra for 2 'full' carriages coz I only had one decent bag, though it wasted some kgs... Now take more gear so pay for a 'double' and a single carriage, and have bought another bag.
Confused? Yep.
ski holidays
Hmm, The Crystal website doesn't give a maximum bag size, so if you turned up with a ski/board bag containing all your clothing plus skis, but under 20kg, would they let you on the flight ? (not planning this, just thinking...)
snow report
I have done this with Crystal for the last 3 years. Only time it was questioned was a new staff member who asked a manager who confirmed it was fine. I'm going with Neilsons in 3 weeks and flying with Titan Airways (never heard of them before) so sent an email requesting clarification that I could take everything as hold luggage in one big bag. Almost immediate response saying no problem and to print off the email so that there are no issues at check in.
latest report
We've travelled with Crystal many times and had both double and single ski bags - depending on what the best carriage offers were on at the time.
We've always packed our ski bags with additional clothes to pad it out more and put our boots through in a separate boot bag. Providing the combined total doesn't exceed the arranged limit (15 on a single - 20kg double) I don't think they much care. However, for insurance purposes you wouldn't be able to claim for anything other than skis, poles and boots. You will have hold luggage too 20kg and 5kg hand luggage so will have abundant space. You will only be insured for one set of skis per single bag. SO if they go missing or damaged only expect them to cough up for one pair.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mandal, Ah, interesting about the insurance bit. Lucky we didn't lose any - we've just come back from Austria with Crystal and had 5 people, each with single ski carriage booked. We took 3 single bags each with a boot bag to add up to the 15 kgs, and 2 bags with 2 pairs in, each of which was 15kg, with the corresponding boots packed in the normal 20kg hold luggage. No-one asked how many pairs were in any of the bags, but they did get snotty about 2 people's hand baggage being over the 5kg allowance. So we redistributed into other people's hand luggage at check-in, and then promptly put it all back in the right people's bags when we'd left the desk!
Coming back from Salzburg no-one was bothered about weights or anything.
snow conditions
Just back from a trip with Crystal/Thompson from Newcastle. Had two sets of ski's in the one bag. The lady at check-in did ask how many sets of skis I had in the bag so I said one and she was happy enough.
ski holidays
I've just posted on a similar thread for Jet2 and I'm flying with Crystal.
15kg limit for a ski bag is just ridiculous !

I've never managed to down to 15kg worth of ski tut.
The skis alone weigh 13kg.

Perhaps this will be the first time I'll be refused?
ski holidays
Sorry for not updating this. We got back last Sunday.
No problem at all in Glasgow or Turin - neither bothered to weigh the bags or ask what was in them.
Coming back I stuffed them with the dirty washing and helmets too.
To be honest, I'm not sure they can accurately weigh a 1.9m padded double ski bag - perhaps at the outsized baggage scanner, but by then its too late.
ski holidays
@DrLawn, Interestingly Jet2 allow 22kg in their Ski bag allowance

"..Skis/Snowboards and boots: Item max weight 22kg - Max size 6ft x 3ft (182 x 91cm).."

http://www.jet2.com/travel-extras/sports-equipment
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy