Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying V Driving

Poster: A snowHead
It was Evo that did the trip in the Caterham, just found this clip on YouTube:

http://youtube.com/v/wYyPicy7Bhs

I think they had another car as well and only strapped the skis on the top for the photo shoot in the resort. He's pretty good driver. Makes me want to set off right now in my Sprite - unfortunately I'm afraid it would probably rust away by the summer after all that salt!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having used a combination of plane+train, plane+hire car, plane+taxi, full on TO plane+coach and driving I have to say that I much prefer driving.
I appreciate that it's different for everyone but for me there was a great feeling of satisfaction reaching the French Alps at dawn knowing that you had made it under your steam.
Also no delays owing to aircraft issues or the poor tour reps having to manage multiple drop offs. No having to listen to obnoxious poshos referring to a rucksack as "the osprey".
The drive on the way home gave the opportunity to visit Puligny Montrachet and Vosne Romanee and pick up some nice vino collapso.
Financially, given the 3 kids on board, it is cheaper than flying and I also hope that the kids now appreciate the pros & cons of the different travel options when they start planning their own trips.
Good to read that some posters have successfully attempted the drive to Austria. I fancy that sometime in the next few years.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If there are four of you with own skis and you have Tesco vouchers, driving is generally cheaper, even staying overnight twice. But you have to be happy spending hours on an autoroute. I've reached an age where I'm finding it tiring but still intend to drive in March (four of us). But I do like driving and getting breakfast on route, etc. For me, that is part of the experience. Flying has its own stresses, having to wait for skis in oversize baggage etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@foxtrotzulu, it's more that when you are driving you are actually making visible progress, whereas when you are sat in an airport waiting for your gate to appear you are literally plotting ways to throw either yourself or the obnoxious family sat opposite failing to control screeching little Tabitha under the bus you'll inevitably have to get from the gate to the plane in a random amount of Luton airport minutes.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
japes1275 wrote:
When I get round to driving I'll try and make it a bit of an adventure, I'd love to do it in a totally inappropriate vehicle like a Lotus Elise or similar.

Did two trips in my mates Peugeot 205 GTI complete with skis and roofbars. He did all the driving as the insurance was pricey for me.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lampygirl I'm so, so with you.

I've done it a few times recently on my own. I love driving, don't mind the hours of monotonous miles. Ever mile done is one closer etc. Your getting going, full steam ahead etc. No waiting around for somebody else to get going...

But there's something i must point out and it's really important to consider this.

If a ski injury occurs, it could develop into a big nightmare if you're the only driver! Sure, there's insurance, but...

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 7-01-17 23:10; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't really mind which way we get there but have used driving in own car since taking children mainly as it's easier to just pack things we've needed. Also the freedom to do exactly as we want.

Also we have visited many more small ski areas this way which with a TO and or airport transfer would be less likely to happen.

We drive through from Friday night, arriving Saturday as it's much easier to travel when less busy. I like the feel of an extended road trip, it can be spectacular at night with low temps and a hoar frost with all the trees like monsters. Sun starts to change the light level in March by about 04.00am and it's just nice driving towards the sunrise. The very first time we drove, travelling from Macon eastwards on autoroute Blanche, there was a huge sun coming up over the mountains, I wondered at that point why I'd not driven before. Beautiful.

Last five years we've extended it to two weeks in two different areas so for the same overall cost we've been able to get alot more skiing. Last two years has been a twenty five year old car we've taken, just a great adventure for us as a family.
My son said to me the other day that he could not wait to get there this season, as soon as our summer holidays are over they start the count down to skiing.
We wouldn't be able to afford it not doing diy organising, so overall it makes a big difference to us. We are already looking back at our ski time as some of the best experiences we've had.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ski3, that's a great story...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Lemond, we drove to Austria for the first time this xmas and the kids loved the road trip element of visiting several countries out and inbound, even if you count refuelling (amazingly low prices!!) in Luxembourg, overnighting on the way out at a cheap ibis near Munich and hotel in Lille on the way back. It was even quite exciting for them having to go through the German border checks with Austria (in reality just slowing down to a crawl whilst a border guard peers in at you) wasn't the same just shouting out the name of a different country as you whzzed along the motorway (Fabrique Belgique Rodders!!!!!)

would definitely recommend it, as certainly with a family on a tight budget Austria was by far more affordable than France was at feb half term last year, even eating on the mountains, and taking into account the reduced exchange rate.

The only mistake we made this year was going out on a lunchtime crossing on the Eurotunnel instead of a really early morning crossing, due to a build up of delays this put a few hours on the journey

its quite sad that this season has barely begun and I am looking into next season!!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If your time is at a premium i.e. trying to save leave days for other trips, then no doubt flying is the winner. That said, if you are a parent picking up the tab for youngsters, then your priorities might change. - One of the most relaxing trips I have been on was by coach from East Sussex: no airport hassles and no worries about baggage weight, ski carriage etc.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@terrygasson, sounds good! Our 2nd trip with the kids was to Fiss and I thought the set up for the youngsters was the best I have ever experienced. The Friday race with automated timing, race bibs, commentary, medal ceremony and professional photos for all of the 100's of ski school kids was something to behold.
For that trip we flew to Zurich and then caught trains to Landeck(?). The return trip gave us some hassle as the train was cancelled and we chose to catch a taxi to Zurich to avoid missing the flight. Insurance covered the costs after a bit of persuasion so in the end a valuable experience.
How long did your trip take door to door? Interested to know as I think skiing in the Tirol is the essence of the experience. Oh god, wishing I was going this year!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
we've been through all the pros and cons in recent years are for us (coming from Thames valley) the conclusion is that it depends on how expensive the flights are, how many people in the car and how long you are going for.
Roughly:

peak times and school holidays - more than two people for more than four days then driving is a no brainer. I'd probably do it with two people. Flights for four of us at Feb Half-term typically are £2000-2500. Driving is about £500 excluding depreciation etc. And we would probably add hire car if we flew which in peak weeks is not cheap.

weekends - fly

low season weeks - more marginal but still drive, we just prefer making gradual progress, cozy in a comfortable car to the fragmented schlep of taxi/airport/flight delay/flight/luggage/transfer. Although it is slower by car, once you account for teh deadtime there isn't much in it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I do find it amusing that South of England folks are having this discussion, I am based in Scotland & have 6 hours more than you & I still prefer driving. You guys could to it in 1 day if you really wanted to.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We *should* be right in the 'Yay! Lets Drive!' camp. I can't do the 80 or so miles between our house and Oxford without normally having to stop for the kids (5,7) to pee, puke or both. We've done the train before (Ashford to Moutiers) and that was ok, because it's easy(ish) to keep the kids entertained and they don't seem to get travel sick on trains, planes are ok too as long as the transfer isn't a problem at the other end but I can't see the car journey would be anything other than horrific.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jonny996, They don't know they're born.....
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
Flights for four of us at Feb Half-term typically are £2000-2500. Driving is about £500 excluding depreciation etc.

Where are you flying to?!

I can get 4 people to Geneva with bags included on BA for £215 each return at half term. Any Gatwick flight with space. Includes a second return trip for free later in the season as well...
ski holidays
we pretty much always drive......cost v flying is a no brainer at peak weeks......especially if you have your own skis etc and are self catering.

French roads pretty easy........

only ball ache tends to be UK Border Force delays to get back into the UK.....as it was Saturday evening!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:
I do find it amusing that South of England folks are having this discussion, I am based in Scotland & have 6 hours more than you & I still prefer driving. You guys could to it in 1 day if you really wanted to.

It's a few years since I last drove but setting off from Scotland at any normal time of day my general impression is that the motorway network south of Manchester resembles a parking lot.
Much prefer flying.
ski holidays
Quote:

Where are you flying to?!

I can get 4 people to Geneva with bags included on BA for £215 each return at half term. Any Gatwick flight with space. Includes a second return trip for free later in the season as well...

that was london - GVA, Sat to Sat. Normally LHR but also Luton and LGW. A few years since we did that now. For a couple of years we moved to flying friday evening and staying somewhere in the valley for a night which saved about £500.
Just checked on BA and 4 with bags from LGW looks like about £1600?
latest report
We've been driving to french alps for about 10 years now - always been pretty easy.
we're in the west country, so about 4hrs from dover. always stop over a bit north of the alps and make an early start the next day to breakfast in resort.
4 up (now all adults) with own skis and self catering ... driving is cost effective and the hol starts from home, much rather a road trip than an airport lounge ... & coach transfers
Last straw for flying with the family was a 10 hour delay stuck at Bristol Airport. The car park attendant told us, but check in staff denied it ... until they had all our bags etc. (turned out that some one had forgotten to order deicing salt in Chambery Puzzled so the planes were stuck there) . after a couple of hours my wife bought our (then 6yo) son a harmonica in the shop and he 'played' the blues for the next 7 hours ... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
JonA wrote:
after a couple of hours my wife bought our (then 6yo) son a harmonica in the shop and he 'played' the blues for the next 7 hours ... Madeye-Smiley

Mad Toofy Grin Only a toy accordion could be worse!!
latest report
@jedster, current pricing for the BA flightpass is 16 singles between LGW and GVA for 4 named passengers is £855. They can be used on any flight with availability, no blackout dates. Works out £107 return per flight assuming you go twice in a season, or £215 if you only go the once and throw away the other coupons.
latest report
@JonA, Last time we flew was to Chambery from Gatwick - 3 hour delay at Gatwick (snow in France), after finally taking off we were diverted to Geneva followed by a further 3 hour delay at Geneva awaiting transfer transport to arrive from Chambery. The transfer to ADH then took a further 4.5 hours - no fun with 5 and 6 year olds...
We live 15 minutes from Eurotunnel and now travel down on Friday stay near Albertville and spend arrival day skiing, the kids(now 17 and 18 ) say they would prefer to fly but for me there is nothing better than being one of the first people up to resort on a change over day. I enjoy the drive, can take what we like food, snacks, drinks etc. and it eases the financial burden of doing 2 trips a season. Very Happy
snow conditions
Done it both ways many times. Driving is cheaper if there's a family but I have to say I always feel a. It tired when I drive it. Currently euro and fuel prices mean going to through France is a lot more exp4msive than last year. Expect the tolls to hurt.
Did Portsmouth bilboa last year and really enjoyed it. Perfect for the pyrenees and cheaper than driving through France there. Overnight cabin, on board cabaret, the works....
latest report
Doing the Eurostar night ski train for the 3rd year in a row on Friday. I live in the North East but the town I live in is on the main East Coast train line to Kings Cross. Takes under 3 hours and due to booking well in advance, I can get advanced fares for around £30 return.

Its not for everyone but the extra 2 days skiing makes it worth it for me. snowHead
snow report
Driving next week, and if no one else books it, we can get into the appt on the Friday evening for a true full extra days skiing. Mid morning chunnel should see us in resort in time for a couple of refreshments.
snow report
We've driven down for the last 2 years and are planning the same again in March. I just find that flying is no fun anymore. We live in East Sussex and leaving at about 5am it has taken about 12 hours door to door (Sainte Foy)- with the car it's easy to ski there maybe 2-3 days plus days in Tignes (15 mins to Les Brevieres) Val d'Isere (20 mins to La Daille) or Les Arcs/Paradiski (15 mins to Villaroger) - oh and La Rosiere if you fancy it. The great thing about it is that we can have 8 days ski-ing rather than the 6 you get with the TOs and we choose to drive when no-one else is, so no busy Saturday changeover to contend with. I am sure that we've been very lucky with the weather on the driving days (blue skies all the way ) and am quite expecting it all to go the way of the pear this year, but fingers crossed.
snow report
@Lemond, from Calais to Munich (overnight stop) it was just short of 10hours, but I would say we were probably held up for one reason or another not including fuel/food stops, by about an hour. on the return from Fugen (zillertal) to Lille it was it was again about 10hours with another hour delay due to traffic.

it could probably be done a bit quicker, by taking earlier channel crossings and maybe by letting my wife drive for stretches and therefore allowing for me to take shorter stop breaks.
But saying that, I really don't mind the drive and the kids are entertained throughout the journey with the dvd players/I pods etc.

Looks like Austria will be our family destination of choice for the next few years!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Andy4467 wrote:
@JonA, Last time we flew was to Chambery from Gatwick - 3 hour delay at Gatwick (snow in France), after finally taking off we were diverted to Geneva followed by a further 3 hour delay at Geneva awaiting transfer transport to arrive from Chambery. The transfer to ADH then took a further 4.5 hours - no fun with 5 and 6 year olds...
We live 15 minutes from Eurotunnel and now travel down on Friday stay near Albertville and spend arrival day skiing, the kids(now 17 and 18 ) say they would prefer to fly but for me there is nothing better than being one of the first people up to resort on a change over day. I enjoy the drive, can take what we like food, snacks, drinks etc. and it eases the financial burden of doing 2 trips a season. Very Happy

This made me "smile" at the fond memories of a similar delay last January and thought you maybe were on the same flight as us but realised you're talking years ago, Chambery and delays haven't changed in 10+ years!
latest report
@snowdave,

great tip, thanks

quite a lot pricier from LHR but worth knowing about
still not cost competitive with driving when you factor in transfers or car hire but if we started doing more weekends ...
snow conditions
We always drive.... Suffolk /les-gets, 12 door to door... Always find it more flexible, no fussing about what to take, no flight cancellation..... One day might try flying
snow report
We always drive.... Suffolk /les-gets, 12 door to door... Always find it more flexible, no fussing about what to take, no flight cancellation..... One day might try flying
snow conditions
My aim this weekend is door-to-door in 5 hours, Derbyshire to Salzburgland. Can't see any car achieving that...
latest report
Quote:

My aim this weekend is door-to-door in 5 hours, Derbyshire to Salzburgland. Can't see any car achieving that...

That's pretty good going.
Office to our flat in les Contamines might be quicker than that on Thursday but not much.
ski holidays
@queen bodecia, 5 is very good given your flight distance - I achieve 4.5-5hrs from office to Argentiere using City-Geneva which is a shorter flight. 4 is my record but I wouldn't want to try and do that again.
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:

So what are the timings on that just out of interest?
snow report
Having got a good deal from Flybe for a trip in March I'll post up the difference in time against driving. I'm hoping it will be a lot less time than driving as its a local Taxi to the airport then to Lyon and a hire car to Montalbert.
latest report
@Layne, the plan is this:

20-30 minutes drive to the airport.
90 minutes at the airport.
100 minutes on the plane.
30 minutes at the airport.
50 minutes drive to destination.

I'll report back how close I get to achieving this.
snow conditions
japes1275 wrote:
I'd love to do it in a totally inappropriate vehicle like a Lotus Elise or similar.

It's not inappropriate!

Leaving Alagna

ski holidays
Those things are bad enough in the dry!! Kudos to the driver.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy