Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sore/stiff legs!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I think that some people put themselves under much more stress than others, when they're skiing. - due to style, intensity, technique and the terrain where they ski. Using your skeleton to support you, rather than your muscles and tapping into the ski's design as a "turning machine" (so you're not fighting the mountain), all help......for me, this is more of an aspirational goal, than reality.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 30-12-16 20:09; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@martinm, you are not alone. How hard do you ski and on what kind of terrain?

DOMS is generally regarded as being much more severe if a muscle is forced to extend whilst it's attempting to contract (eccentric contractions). That's why road cycling doesn't result in significant DOMS, but running and downhill mountain biking definitely do.

Normal on-piste skiing on smooth terrain doesn't lead to much eccentric muscle contraction. Skiing on bumps and jumps definitely does. It sounds to me as if you have a preference for doing a little more than carving on the groomers. My family are all aggressive skiers, and anyone who dares to go skiing without good base level fitness will inevitably be suffering with severe DOMS by day 3.

Road cycling won't sort out your DOMS. I know - I'm a big cyclist myself (> 100 miles / week) and it's insufficient training for skiing. To prepare, build up to some high-intensity running intervals before you leave; that way, your legs won't even whimper at a week of skiing moguls.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
primoz wrote:

Not really, as with skiing you will hardly ever get your body into are where lactic acid starts to build up. Lactic acid does start to create as soon as physical activity starts, but until you reach your anaerobic limit (which is somewhere around 90-95% of your max HR), your body is able to dispose lactic acid on the fly without accumulating it. Once you get over anaerobic limit, and your body starts to operate in anaerobic mode, lactic acid production is too big to be disposed and starts to build up. But with skiing, there's simply no way to operate on such high levels.

Really?

My sports science books are all about cycling rather than skiing, but I read that you typically tax your anaerobic system with intervals of up to 3 minutes. That seems to perfectly describe skiing.

Sure, most skiers choose to ski well below this level of intensity. But I typically go for a full-on blast until the group splits up or we reach the next lift. Each blast (or interval, if you prefer) typically lasts 2-3 minutes and is very, very full-on. I think I'm definitely well above my aerobic threshold.

And before anyone moans, I wouldn't dream of ever skiing in that way on a busy run or near other skiers.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Er, I think I'm out of my comfort zone in this thread... Shocked
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonny Jones wrote:
@martinm, you are not alone. How hard do you ski and on what kind of terrain?

Fairly hard - but like a decent coffee and lunch break Laughing

Just on-piste and prefer to ski an easier run well/fast than suffer on something steep/icy etc.

But I'm now thinking of cancelling my trip and taking up swimming snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Re heart rate. My max is 193, done in a full on ramp test by a sports scientist taking blood to measure lactate and power etc. I do know my lactate threshold heart rate, and also power on bike. I hit about 180 in a ten mile time trial. A 100 mile TT is done at around 165 depending on temperature. I wore a HRM when skiing last year and HR never got over 160 and I was trying!! Avge during a run was under 140.

You don't remain anaerobic for very long, anything beyond about 40 seconds is mainly aerobic in nature. Your fast twitch fibres empty in about 12 seconds, after that there's more aerobic stuff. Yep the leg burn you get on the hill is lactate, but this clears very quickly, evidenced in the blood testing I did. The fitter you are the higher plasma volume you will have and oxygen is carried more efficiently, hence heart rate lowers. Physiology is physiology no matter what sport.

I've been running 3 times this week, and DOMS were there after 2 days, but getting better , we shall see what tomorrow brings. Been a long time since I ran!

So long as I can keep up with the lad on holiday and get round without stopping every few hundred yards I'll be happy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I hurt my achilles about 5 weeks ago on my 5k run (aggravated an old injury from a horse treading on the back of my foot) so I got some lights for my mountain bike and found a route that takes about 30 minutes. My ride tonight took nearly 5 minutes less than the first ride I did about 3 weeks ago mainly because I'm going up the hills much faster, even though I thought my legs were quite fit from the running.

When cycling, I can really feel my legs burning in the same way as when I am skiing.

1-2 days after my first run of the winter, my legs ache in the same way as they would after 1-2 days skiing (my legs don't ache on a ski trip since I started running)
Conclusion, cycling will give your legs the fitness, strength and stamina that will allow you to cruise the blue from top to bottom without stopping.
Running will toughen up your legs so they won't ache after you have pushed them into high stress situations.
lots more ski trips will improve your technique to avoid the high stress situations.
I prescribe a large dose of all three Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Correct technique, good physical form and sore quads don't add up too well. I find aching quads quite strange and would have somebody check your stance etc. - whether you actually bend at the ankle or just think you do while in fact dropping down your hip. This kind of work out might explain quad pain after constant repetition for 3 days. Maybe your boots are too stiff and your ankle movement is insufficient to flex them so you use some "help"... Have it looked at. You shouldn't normally get aching quads, not after one day, not after three, seven or even ten days of skiing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@never summer, Instructor I had a year ago said stance was good. I think the boots have flex adjust so will try that.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree with @Jonny Jones re the effects of eccentric contractions, and that cycling doesn't train you for these. Similarly, bumps and short-radius turns give the most eccentric contractions. However, any weighting-unweighting (e.g. when carving properly) gives concentric and eccentric contractions. I'd suggest getting in some eccentric exercise before you go; running is good, and running downhill is even better. Alternatively (or additionally), some plyometric exercises are a good option (though start easy). If you do these, you should the DOMS out of the way before your trip, rather than during.

Some things that may help once you're skiing are:
Massage with a foam roller each evening. It'll hurt while you do it, but this should reduce future pain
Stretching immediately after skiing. I find I can do a decent quad stretch in ski boots by resting the toe of the boot behind me on a railing ~45 cms off the ground, and pushing the hip on that side forward, but you'll need to take your boots off for a calf stretch
Wearing compression clothing after skiing. Some of the evidence for this is debatable, and it may just be a placebo, but then placebos can be very effective
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
www.healthline.com/health/acidosis#RisksFactors3

Acidosis, can be caused by lack of oxygen, excess of alcohol, dehydration, or a poor diet.

Two forms of acidosis are treated by supplementation of sodium bicarbonate, with plenty of water.

From the above link a quotation on how to prevent acidosis

Acidosis Prevention
-----------------------
Prevention

You can’t completely prevent acidosis. However, there are some things you can do to lower your risk.

You can do the following to reduce your risk of respiratory acidosis:

# Take sedatives as prescribed and never mix them with alcohol.
# Stop smoking. Smoking can damage your lungs and make breathing less effective.
# Maintain a healthy weight. Obesity can make it harder for you to breathe.

You can do the following to reduce your risk of metabolic acidosis:

# Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water and other fluids.
# Keep control of your diabetes. If you manage your blood sugar levels well, you can avoid ketoacidosis.
# Stop drinking alcohol. Chronic drinking can increase the buildup of lactic acid.

The dosage of sodium bicarbonate is not stated, but in my initial testing of this theory I would suggest taking much less than a teaspoon per day to start with. Probably about 1g or 2g to start with, along with plenty of filtered or bottled water (without gas).

If you find that you become constipated the next day, stop taking it.

Some websites warn about increases of sodium in your diet, resulting in high blood pressure. Others say that tests have been done on rats, and their blood pressure did not rise. I would take it with a pinch of salt, and use as little as possible to alter the body ph.

Skiing at altitude will mean low oxygen levels and hydration levels. Drinking alcohol after skiing, will increase the tendency towards temporary acidosis. Having strong french coffee whilst skiing, eating lots of cheese, meat, and other acidifying foods, will make it worse. Add exercises to that, which you are not used to. Lactic acid will build up.....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nurofen/Water . . .stretch . . .Nurofen/Water . . . lunch . . . stretch . . . Nurofen/Water. . . Bath/Sauna . . .Deep Heat . . .Deep Heat . . .Alchohol . . .repeat
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy