Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

With fewer off-piste options this year, what are your favorite on-piste pastimes?

Poster: A snowHead
So far, the start of the season has been a bit disappointing as many parts of the Alps are missing out. Some resorts only have small strips of snow to enjoy.

Looking on the bright side: when the rules change, so does the game! Let's set a challenge for ourselves this year to learn something new.
What is your favorite thing to do on the piste, when there's no powder to be found and the steepest runs are closed?

I'll start: learn to ski on one leg. Find a gentle slope, ski parallel with quick turns and using your poles. Then as you go, slowly put less and less pressure on your off (e.g. left) leg. Eventually, you'll be able to lift it up completely.
If you can already do that, try a flat 360. If you can already do that, try a flat 360 on one leg. That should keep you entertained for a while snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boring
Boring
Boooring
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
peanuthead wrote:
Boring
Boring
Boooring

Someone once told me, only boring people get bored.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski an icy piste and find as much grip as possible, as if the piste was soft, grippy snow.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Find little lips on and off the side of the piste for some little jumps.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
When the piste is empty I'm planning to learn to ski switch properly.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
last week we were doing these amongst lots of others to stay entertained, (I don't like piste skiing much)

Inside ski turns, i.e. turning on your inside ski with the outside one off the ground. My daughters race instructor takes a ski away......... and skis down the run with it, you have no choice then.....

Turn around the piste poles, its gets lumpy off the side and on the side of the run, so it becomes mogul practice.

as@rob@rar, states, find an icy piste, find as much grip, and ski it slowly, then technique creates the grip and not momentum

Put an imaginary line down the piste and only ski in the corridor you have created, then make the corridor narrower and narrower doing shorter and shorter turns
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jodiug wrote:
peanuthead wrote:
Boring
Boring
Boooring

Someone once told me, only boring people get bored.

In my case it was my grandmother Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok not quite on piste activity more off piste, but get out on the bike Smile

And tie that in with trying to suss when snow might be transforming for an early to mid afternoon ski tour on the right aspect slope.

Though daughters have thrown a spanner in the works for doing that this afternoon Sad

Road trip to those places on your bucket list - this was yesterday in Italy and at 16:30 just before last lift and it was so empty and pistes empty.

And agree with some of the other comments, and as ever at this time of year I look on enviously at the Italians carving down the hard piste whilst I'm trying to hold an edge.

Also been getting here to follow me skiing the very edge of the piste where the scraped off snow is putting in tight braking turns.

Was trying to get one daughter to carve on her inside edge whilst holding her uphill ski 10cms in the air but did not work, then this morning took her to ski some off piste crud and the air was blue Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jodiug wrote:

I'll start: learn to ski on one leg. Find a gentle slope, ski parallel with quick turns and using your poles. Then as you go, slowly put less and less pressure on your off (e.g. left) leg. Eventually, you'll be able to lift it up completely.
If you can already do that, try a flat 360. If you can already do that, try a flat 360 on one leg. That should keep you entertained for a while snowHead

Many moons ago my wife bought me a ski lesson at Tamworth Snowdome with Eddie the Eagle Edwards. During the lesson he had us doing just this! Lovely bloke but mad as a box of frogs! Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hit the park
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just keep searching for the perfectly carved run (and choose your music carefully).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Side slip the fallline as elegantly as possible and see how many people you can overtake (and annoy). snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Check out which of the mountain huts does the best hot chocolate/ bombardino/calimero etc...... Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Der, everybody knows the only righteous place to be when there's no powder is in the bumps. rolling eyes Oh, hold on a minute, there's no bumps either? Skullie
ski holidays
Cancel

Save money.

Go somewhere hot instead like Thailand,Indonesia
latest report
Cancel. Even if you can't get a full refund save your previous holiday days for times you can ski more than man-made. Plus snow Brazilians+ holiday crowds = shitshow
snow report
Fling the MTB in with the rest of your luggage. Champery World Cup DH track is running dry and dusty at the moment and Les Gets have re-opened lifts for bikes (or at least they had just prior to Xmas).
latest report
Having said that we have intermediate-level family staying and they're having a great time, loving the sun and don't miss the off-piste. Even the crowds have eased off due to reality dawning on the less dedicated. It's only us prima-donnas that are suffering snowHead wink
snow report
@Sharkymark, Yup Mt. Chery open for VTT - also dusty apparently.
snow report
Try telemarking......
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Ski an icy piste and find as much grip as possible, as if the piste was soft, grippy snow.

That's what I should be doing. The first part is easy - find an icy piste - but I have trouble getting a grip on it Smile.
snow conditions
@shep, +1 both comments ...
latest report
I skied on the 24th, but after that I hiked, biked and skinned uphill only to ski to the nearest lift to download back to the village. With crowds and conditions, skiing is just not worth it. Anything remotely steep quickly turns into sheet of ice with huge moguls of man-made snow. You can do it once or twice for fun or a challenge but to do it day it day out for hours you would hardly enjoy. Might ski again on the 1st when it will be quiet and next week if it's less busy. Plenty other things to do in the mountains and I have greater time doing them. Weather is beautiful, I don't even mind that much the snow situation, as long as it starts snowing eventually this season.
snow conditions
Focus on having a fantastic lunch...
ski holidays
Thread derail.... had a lovely day off piste yesterday NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
snow report
Quote:
With fewer off-piste options this year, what are your favorite on-piste pastimes?

Skiing between the mountain restaurants Toofy Grin
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
Quote:

Skiing between the mountain restaurants Toofy Grin

Let me guess... as fast as possible? Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa wrote:
Thread derail.... had a lovely day off piste yesterday NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh

We had good conditions till it rained on Monday ... just as things started to get busy. Glad we left for home on Wednesday.
snow conditions
Go to Chamonix and climb/ski something cool. It's worth following some of the Brit crew over there on Instagram - however you describe the conditions after 5 weeks w/o snow, they've still been scoring some really cool lines and even the odd first descent!

Inspiration:

https://www.instagram.com/petehoughtonchamonix/
https://www.instagram.com/ross.hewitt/
https://www.instagram.com/bentibbettsphotography/

---------------

Alternatively wake up late and have a nice long lie in/'snuggle time,' brew some good coffee and cook up a proper breakfast, then head up around 1pm in time for the snow softening, cruise around the softest/slushiest/bumpiest piste you can find for an hour or two, then retire to the bar/log fire for a whisky.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy