Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sunday

Poster: A snowHead
snowornever wrote:
japes1275 wrote:
The thing with racing against the clock is that it is the purest form of whatever sport it is. There is no complaining, judging (apart from gates etc), shoving off of other competitors etc, it's just the man/woman, some skis and a course. I do speed hillclimbs (the opposite of downhill racing I suppose!) in my car and that is the same, if you crash it's your fault!

I do get the Cross thing but it does seem to be a bit of a lottery as to who wins sometimes.

Its tru the skill is exceptional but is tedious to watch, the "cross" comps are exciting to watch, the contact is very reminiscent of the great saloon cvar racing of yesteryear before H&S spoilt the gladitorial aspect!

A very good friend friend once persuaded me to go watch him race his judd F1 at shelsey walsh, I soon realised that hill climb is definetly more boring to watch than any ski race!
and just as skill ful and "pure" but what they are not is entertainment, give me banger racing anytime! Laughing

Very true I must admit. My dad once came to Harewood to watch and was bored to death. And he's into motorcycle trials!

Taking something like a Judd up Shelsley could never be described as boring just like going flat out down the Hahnenkamm but the thrill/excitement/scared to death feeling is probably only felt by the driver/skier!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowornever wrote:
Its tru the skill is exceptional but is tedious to watch, the "cross" comps are exciting to watch, the contact is very reminiscent of the great saloon cvar racing of yesteryear before H&S spoilt the gladitorial aspect!

I've been watching a few of the ski-cross rounds this season but have to admit that I find it a bit dull. I think one of the reasons that it's so exciting in the olympics is a) there's more on the line and b) the commentary is better. However in the FIS races I tend to find myself doing something else or switching off.

Hillclimbing definitely not the best of spectator sports, but is a bit more interesting if you compete. Also a sunny day at Wiscombe Park, drinking beer and watching/listening to cars thrash up a hill is just a generally pleasant thing to do Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've never got motor racing - they just seem to form an orderly queue for a couple of hours. The competitive bit is the tyre changing.
I love watching slalom, gs, super g, downhill, skier-x (which is just the mars bar race you did as a kid), biathlon, ski jumping etc...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gordyjh, F1 isn't all forms of motor racing. You've named numerous types of ski racing, motorsport is just as varied, if not more so. Drag racing, rallying, circuit racing, hillclimbing, trials, autotests are all very different forms of the sport.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowornever,
Quote:

ski sunday, livened up by all the stuff other than the tedious progression of very very talented, skillfull and brave skiers doing exactly the same run that the previous skier just did. Time trial basis is rather boring, don't you think? Almost, but not quite, as boring as ski jumping as a spectator sport

whatever happened to skier cross and border cross, a lot more exiting to watch.

why not drop the races and turn it into something that will keep viewers awake on a sunday evening??

they tried a magazine type programme a few years ago (same presenters), I thought it was a really good show, especially the segment where non skier/boarder celebrities were taken to the mountains to learn, a bit like the Jump without the broken bones!!

I thought the longer format worked really well, as it catered for both race enthusiasts and holidaymakers alike, not sure why the beeb dropped it?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
High Altitude it was called. I guess budgetary reasons lead to its demise...although I thought it only came about because they didn't have the ski racing rights Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I find the slalom more exciting than the downhill. Two runs, no mistakes. The time advantage of the later skiers being offset by the worsening state of the run. At Wengen, seeing Kirstoffersen's split times going green/red/green on the final run.
The downhill is definitely more awesome to watch, but IMO not quite as exciting.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
High Altitude it was called. I guess budgetary reasons lead to its demise...although I thought it only came about because they didn't have the ski racing rights Puzzled

Is that right? Unless my memory is deceiving me I could have sworn it was always High Altitude then ski Sunday straight afterwards (or the other way round)?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dode wrote:
I find the slalom more exciting than the downhill. Two runs, no mistakes. The time advantage of the later skiers being offset by the worsening state of the run. At Wengen, seeing Kirstoffersen's split times going green/red/green on the final run.
The downhill is definitely more awesome to watch, but IMO not quite as exciting.

I agree. Downhill is definitely a spectacle but I prefer the technicality of slalom.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@SnoodyMcFlude, I've named many types of ski racing, all of which I find exciting.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Gordyjh, indeed. However you only compared them against one type of motorsport, so a tad unfair. Youte far from being alone, many people say 'motor racing' when actually they're only talking about F1. The fact is that most forms of the sport don't have tyre changes at all.

Your comment was the equivalent of saying "I don't like ski racing, who wants to watch a race that's only decided by some shooting?". That would, of course, do a great disservice to biathlon athletes and doesn't even begin to take into account the speed/technical events, the freestyle events or 'cross.

Btw it's not difficult to draw parallels between the different types of ski racing and the type of motorsport. For example ski cross even shares part of its name with rallycross (a short race, usually 4-6 cars with jumps etc, plenty of contact and very exciting).

Anyway, sorry for a bit of a long winded post, I'm quite happy for people to not enjoy motorsport, I just get a bit whingey when they bad mouth it purely on a perception of F1.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I haven't badmouthed anything, I just said I don't get it. It leaves me entirely cold. Formula 1 is sold in the media as being the pinnacle of the sport and I find it a bit dull.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dunno about Pinnacle - the skill and commitment going into keeping a WRC car at full chat on gravel is something very remarkable indeed.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Richard_Sideways, mainstream media aren't interested in much outside of F1 though, so I can see why people think that it represents the whole sport. In truth though I'd rather sit down to watch WRC or World RX. WRC is going to be particularly interesting this season with the new rules that add power and downforce, although I think we may see some big accidents as it's got all the signs of being another Group B.

i think a lot of people at the minute would also argue that the pinnacle of circuit racing is prototypes and endurance racing. The standard is currently so high in WEC that they race 6hr races full on as if they're 20 lap sprints. Even the 24h at Le Mans had 3 cars separated by about 20 seconds when the race was about half way! Not only that but the technology of the cars is phenomenal.

Anyway, this is getting a bit off topic...unless ski Sunday start showing WEC highlights!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@SnoodyMcFlude, Thats quite an interesting point actually. Motorsport is a wide set of disciplines, and most don't get any real coverage in mainstream media, go to the back bottom end of the Sky channels and its there, but there isn't a Ski Sunday style magazine programme on broadcast TV for motorsport anymore. They used to do a bit on the old-school Top Gear once upon a time with Tony Mason doing bits on Rally, Rally Cross, track and circuit events etc.

Ski Sunday is still that magazine programme in format, it can feature various disciplines - though mainly Slalom -Grand Slalom, Super-G, but I think it should feature a wider range of competitive snowsports, rather than just a 30 second roundup, assuming they can get rights. As that's where the breadth of the British talent currently lies (and with all due respect to Dave Ryding) why not promote the slopestyle brigade a bit, heck I'd be happy to watch 5 mins or so catchup on Skeletion with Lizzie Yarnolds races.
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, if you look very carefully then there's sometimes something on early Saturday mornings on C4 for motorsport.

Agree that a more varied magazine show would be good to cover more winter sports. However I'm not sure what ratings it would get to make it worth it. I think in this country it's fairly niche to follow winter sports, quite a lot of people that ski couldn't care less about the professional side. If it were up to me then BBC2 would have a ski film season too, showing stuff like Days Of My Youth. However because it's a niche interest we'll have to keep watching on things like Red Bull TV.
snow report
@SnoodyMcFlude, Niche maybe, but last year they were getting viewing figures of over 1m a week live and nearly 3m on catchup/iplayer.
latest report
I want a bit more of the downhill girls in a hot tub.

Going round dry slopes that would look crap in a third world country and bigging up someone who got to 15th in the slalom, is not enough. I would rather see Lizzie Yarnolds race, or come to that some huskies running around.

I really did enjoy the crazy man skiing what looked like a cliff.
latest report
The crazy man skiing was great, really enjoyed that and the interviews with the pioneers of that sport. I loved his reaction to falling of saying 'oh dear' a lot. There is a man in control of himself.
snow conditions
[quote=@blahblahblah]I want a bit more of the downhill girls in a hot tub [/quote]

With most of them sporting a series of scars, metal plates and knackered joints, you're more likely to find them submerged in ice baths than the hot tub these days.

The Dryslope bit was, IMHO, a missed opportunity to really show the UK scene in action. Ok, yes most of the current crop of talent cut their teeth (and other things) on Dendix and there's Sheffield looking all moody and atmospheric in all it's derelict glory, but why not show some of the domes on a Thursday and Friday night when the're setup for freestyle.
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, Shut up with the factual stuff about the racers, I am happy with Vonn Bott in a hot tub.
ski holidays
@blahblahblah, Vonnbot 3.0 is IP67 certified, although there is some debate as to whether she was in standby mode at the time. I heard rumours that they keep her in a tub of brown rice on a warm radiator for 24 hours after a race, just in case.
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@blahblahblah, Vonnbot 3.0 is IP67 certified, although there is some debate as to whether she was in standby mode at the time. I heard rumours that they keep her in a tub of brown rice on a warm radiator for 24 hours after a race, just in case.

And a large can of 3-in-1 oil for use 1hr before the race Toofy Grin . I wouldn't mind squeezing a bit of oil on her bearings Skullie
snow report
Bloody hell that helicopter skiing mularkey is certainly not
for the faint hearted. How do you even ski at such a steep angle? Awesome. That's from someone that skii'd just 2 reds last year - and that was by mistake lol. Skiing scares the crap out of me tbh - I usually give myself a little pat when I get to the bottom because I did it without breaking anything. Anyway I thought the programme was good. GB is a babe, albeit he's a bit smug. I felt for that poor woman with the broken leg and really felt for that guy whose wife died in an avalanche. He got a special
cheer from me.
ski holidays
That Jérémie Heitz piece....................that wasn't skiing, that was controlled falling! Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
Incredible bravery and skill, I've watched it dozens of times since, amazing.
ski holidays
Does anyone know of a clip of the Jeremie Heitz section extracted anywhere? Am interested to see, but have no TV license so cannot (will not?) watch on iPlayer.
latest report
@schauspiele, the whole film is on Red Bull TV

https://www.redbull.tv/film/AP-1PMT7S62N1W11/la-liste
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
YOU FOOL @halfhand! You can't use a wet oil on Vonnbot. It'll freeze up in cold weather and stain the rubber fleshy bits, impacting on her Sports Illustrated earnings. Use a nice dry lubricant based on silicone or graphite for bearings.

Redbull TV wrote:
Young skiing phenom Jérémie Heitz challenges himself to ski 15 of the Alps’ steepest 4,000-meter peaks in just two ski seasons. To do so requires enormous physical endurance and superior mental fortitude.

Forget mental fortitude, its a superior amount of rectal fortitude thats required to ski that lot and not just poop out all your bones and organs in terror!
snow report
I guess the filming of Jérémie Heitz was carried out before 12:00pm and after 2:00pm.........

........you know what the French are like about their lunches. Very Happy
snow report
This looks rather good, Mr Bell (at 51!) on the Streif....360 degrees as well, don't watch and eat.......

http://youtube.com/v/Jek9_4XiFb0
snow conditions
I see Vonbott III has been rebooted and is now in full working order again.
latest report
have just seen on eurosport that vobott III has an official thigh slapper to warm her up, anyone know where the application form is on the FIS website, I am even willing to be Lara Guts at the same time and would not claim overtime for it, am sure the missus will not mind as after all it is a dirty job but someone has to do it!!!!
snow report
king key wrote:
Bought a new telly, one of these 4K jobbies. It's made every high def and crystal clear like never before, which brings its own problems..........now what the heck has happened to Graham Bell's face? He was covered in spots like a mogel field. Shocked

Watching it now on iPlayer. It looks like he's been shaving with a rusty spoon.
ski holidays
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@Gordyjh, indeed. However you only compared them against one type of motorsport, so a tad unfair. Youte far from being alone, many people say 'motor racing' when actually they're only talking about F1. The fact is that most forms of the sport don't have tyre changes at all.

Your comment was the equivalent of saying "I don't like ski racing, who wants to watch a race that's only decided by some shooting?". That would, of course, do a great disservice to biathlon athletes and doesn't even begin to take into account the speed/technical events, the freestyle events or 'cross.

Btw it's not difficult to draw parallels between the different types of ski racing and the type of motorsport. For example ski cross even shares part of its name with rallycross (a short race, usually 4-6 cars with jumps etc, plenty of contact and very exciting).

Anyway, sorry for a bit of a long winded post, I'm quite happy for people to not enjoy motorsport, I just get a bit whingey when they bad mouth it purely on a perception of F1.

Funny reading this, Biathalon is my favourite winter sport to watch - closely followed by the salaloms and ski jumping. Laughing
(I know you weren't having a dig, BTW)
latest report
skanky wrote:

Funny reading this, Biathalon is my favourite winter sport to watch - closely followed by the salaloms and ski jumping. Laughing

I love watching it too. It has been suggested to me that it would add extra spice to the action were the competitors allowed to take pot shots at each other while in the woods section. Make it a bit more realistic like Skullie
latest report
andyrew wrote:
skanky wrote:

I love watching it too. It has been suggested to me that it would add extra spice to the action were the competitors allowed to take pot shots at each other while in the woods section. Make it a bit more realistic like Skullie

Bjorndalen gets far enough ahead to nip behind a tree and pick the rest off as they come round the corner. Shocked

The IBU did produce this a few years back:
http://youtube.com/v/OuE7qAB_TrI
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy