Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1 ski question...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I've been trawling the forums for old threads/advice on this but came up empty...

I've recently volunteered to help out at the Adaptive sessions at my local dry slope, and tried skiing 3-track for the first time: I'd really like to improve my skill at this but I don't know how best to keep my other foot out of the way. Previously, I only tried 1 ski as a drill in my usual lessons, and at that time I was focussed on remaining upright: this time, I managed some turns in both directions, but J turns were impossibly hard...

Our instructor tucked his behind the skiing leg (kinda curled round the calf), which I copied, but in the 1 ski drills I've seen since (video taken at Hemel, I think?) the skier has the other foot held out in front, hovering in the air. I see the sense in this, as I felt that curling my leg behind was throwing my weight back, which was then making it all harder.

I will be on snow (yeah, weather/snow cannons permitting!) in a couple of weeks, and may try a few short 1 ski sessions on the baby slope - I'm hoping the turns come a bit easier - but it would sure help if anyone can give me any advice. Over to you!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Amunah, This is a tricky one!
A problem with putting your foot behind your skiing leg is that it can result in your hips being twisted - making skiing difficult. Holding the foot forwards - hovering - throws your weight back. Having it out to the side affects your lateral balance.
I keep it as close to my other leg and as close to a "normal" skiing position as possible, keeping the centre of mass over my skiing foot. To do this I bend the non-skiing leg and slide the foot up. It can be difficult to keep it there as a beginner 3 tracker because you'll be desperately trying to balance. However, the better you get at balancing over the skiing foot, the easier it is to hold the non-skiing leg out of the way.
If I've managed the technology correctly, this should be a picture showing what I mean. https://goo.gl/4Zld5K

A genuine 3 tracker who has a leg that they can't use for skiing would usually strap the non-skiing leg so that it doesn't flail about.

My top tip for 3 tracking (or skiing on one ski, with or without outriggers) is to move your skiing leg just the same as you would if you were skiing on 2 legs. The most common problem that people have is that they go completely stiff on their skiing leg which isn't so effective for making the ski work!
Also, don't lean on and rely on the outriggers. They are for light support... Use your leg for skiing!
Hope this helps.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Amunah, I forgot to say... 3 track (and monoskiing) on dry slope is terrible! It's a lot easier on snow!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, @SaraJ, that makes a lot of sense!

I'm hoping that using my weaker/least preferred leg for this practice will bring greater benefits in strength and balance on two skis... it's exercise for the brain too Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy