Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

finland clothing reccomendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

we are off to Levi at the end of Feb 2012, as Lapland is likely to be significantly colder than most alpine resorts does anyone have any experience of what clothing we would be likely to need..

i am a reasonably experienced boarder but my other half will be new to the whole thing and she feels the cold, i would hate for her to be put off for the want of the correct clothing..

i have a reasonable selection of gear, but i am also considering more baselayers and perhaps upgrading gloves and jacket.

any experioence or reccomendations?

also we have booked the 'thermal suit and gloves' the holiday company offer, what are these exactly? and can we ski/board in them or are they just for apres-ski type use?

thanks

chris
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You would find the thermal suits and gloves almost impossible to ski in, very stiff and not much movement. They are best suited for snowmobiling, reindeer sleighing and husky rides. We have done Ruka/Lapland many times. I am a person who feels the cold I have always worn silk thermals/socks/glove liners. Then a good quality fleece, merino ski socks ski jacket and sallos. Usually wear mittens as opposed to gloves. But a neck buff is very important so you can pull over face when its really cold. I also bought a good pair of sorrel boots for walking around and other non ski activities, they were brilliant.
We did a snowmobile safari in -35 and they made us put the thermal overals on over the top of our normal ski clothes, I looked like a michelin man but it did the job. I still ended up with a bit of frostbite under my chin where there was a gap under my crash helmet. You just need to move about more, have regular warm drinks and there are always fire pits around to have a quick warm. I only suffered with cold feet once on a husky safari.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chrikoff, If it's windy one of the neoprene face masks makes a big difference. With a buff or thermal neck tube, face mask, goggles and helmet or windproof hat there isn't any skin showing. If anyone really feels the cold then a thin belay jacket under the shell may be the answer (although a little pricey). Something with a manmade down like primaloft which will keep working even when damp.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My mate borrowed my down jacket to go to Finland with last winter, and found it pretty perfect. You can get a decent down jacket for not that much atm - my Mountain Equipment was £90 (from £160) this time last year.

You'll probs be fine with plenty of fleeces though. Use a buff to minimise skin exposure if it's really cold.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all, very useful..
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We wore thermals, a Buffalo Special 6 shirt and £25 ski jacket & trousers from Lidl. The extra windproof cyclone/typhoon buffs are great and wearing a helmet keeps your head warm and safe. Generally seal up as much as possible, especially when at the top of 6!

Glove wise make sure you have thin liner gloves so you can take your main gloves off for the camera etc otherwise it's gonna hurt!

Enjoy the T-bars Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi, everyone, nice to meet you, there is a great place to buy ski Clothes premierevague.com.

Bye take care, enjoy the snow
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When we went to yllas, the beginners who were given free helmets by the ski hire were much much warmer than the others who were just wearing their usual wooly hats on their heads.

The Arctic wind could be bitter at the top of the mountain (and riding the tbar drags up on the far side), but on our side of the hill we were sheltered and I didn't get overly cold at all. I think I generally wore the same as I would on a colder day in the Alps, thermal leggings under salopettes and a thermal top and fleece under a padded ski jacket.

I'm afraid I don't know Levi so can't advise on how sheltered it's likely to be from that cold arctic wind.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@chrikoff, it was between -20 and -28c while I was last there. For skiing I just went with the full merino undies, merino mid layer and 850 down jacket, padded pants. Its the face that gets the brunt of it if exposed so sometimes used a fleece b'clava. It's dry cold so doesn't feel as cold as you'd think - unless the wind picks up. I've also been there when the temps were around 0 so it isn't always brass monkeys.

For snowmobiling etc you absolutely need the full thermal suit they give out.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy