Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bolivia's melted glacier

Poster: A snowHead
A worrying sign of things to come?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-38235094
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Orange200, ....yes....

1970s - temps up but still minus in the Alps at Christmas - nobody notices since it's below zero
1990s - temps up but still minus in the Alps at Christmas - nobody notices since it's below zero
2000s - temps up but still minus in the Alps at Christmas - nobody notices since it's below zero
2016 - temps up and no longer much below zero at Christmas - everyone notices

Duh.....

In the last three decades of climbing in the Alps I, like so many people interested in The High Places - have seen the disappearance of thousands of small glacial areas - such as those above Flaine (remember those - not there in the Summer at all now). Route descriptions from the 1950s now are TOTALLY out of date. Neve slopes even 10 years ago in the Alps are now shattered rock - nasty.

Climate? Weather? Tipping points? For those interested in the long view (a mere 20 million years) try this:

https://www.amazon.com/Ice-Mud-Blood-Climates-Macmillan/dp/0230553826?tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bramans: http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Savoie/Bramans-Col-Du-Sommeiller

http://www.summitpost.org/the-dying-glacier/836042

Back in the day, opening for the summer, the big dig!

the final agonies of a dying glacier

latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wow, that's a pretty sad sight.

We were discussing this the other day, I remember as a kid july/august used to be generally great weather, and snowy Decembers, then it was September and January, the last two years (I'm now in Scotland mind) october has been the sunniest and warmest month by far, with February probably the coldest.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I first started visiting Hintertux in 1990, it has melted massively since then.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A life without skiing.!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I remember all my years ice climbing in North Wales, huge cornices, snow sure gullies lasting until the end of April. It's like winning the lottery finding areas in condition now.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's very worrying. If I was running a resort (or even just working in tourism) in Western or Northern Norway I would go all in. The skiing tourism is bound to move north.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is a great site, http://www.gletschervergleiche.ch/, where they have taken pictures of glaciers from exactly the same place 7-10 years apart and you can move a slider across the pictures to compare exactly how things have changed.

For example the Rhône glacier has receded so much, and this is at 2200+ m altitude in just seven years:
http://www.gletschervergleiche.ch/Pages/ImageCompareDet.aspx?Id=1
You can even see a difference from 2016 to 2017.

It's important to remember this isn't just a winter temperature thing either - I've been hiking in mid-to-late November at over 2000m in Switzerland in just T-shirt and shorts nearly every year in the last five years.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
maybe sand skiing is the future 😭
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
valais2 wrote:
Climate? Weather? Tipping points? For those interested in the long view (a mere 20 million years) try this:

It's not a 20 million year view though. It's a 10,000 year view. The last ice age ended then. Glaciers are relics. New glaciers haven't formed in the Alps since then. The ones that were left were anachronisms. And skiing them to death during the summer hasn't helped them. If you have to dig the glacier out at the start of the summer season then it's going to melt more quickly as it has lost it's snow covering, hasn't it...

Scarpa wrote:
I remember all my years ice climbing in North Wales, huge cornices, snow sure gullies lasting until the end of April. It's like winning the lottery finding areas in condition now.

And I remember all the glorious long summers when it never rained. The most apocalyptic writers refer to, what, 0.2 degrees over the last twenty years? That's scarcely this which is suggesting maybe a 10 degree temperature rise? More?:

ibexag wrote:
It's important to remember this isn't just a winter temperature thing either - I've been hiking in mid-to-late November at over 2000m in Switzerland in just T-shirt and shorts nearly every year in the last five years.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@James the Last,
Quote:

The ones that were left were anachronisms.

Not sure that's true.

They're formed from snow, not ice sheets. As shown by that airliner that was re-discovered in the Andes, eventually the snow at the top melts at the bottom.

Go above freezing and they start to melt. Less snow, more time above freezing they disappear. More time below freezing and more snow, more glacier.

Not saying my explanation is quite that simple, but I don't think they are a dying relic of the ice age either.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
James the Last wrote:
New glaciers haven't formed in the Alps since then.

I don't think that it true. Glaciers reappeared and grew during the little ice age in Europe.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree they grew, davidof, but I'm not sure sure that new ones formed.

On the grounds, bruisedskier, that it took the Little Ice Age to get them to grow, the corollary is that under normal circumstances they shrink - as they are an anachronism left over from the last Ice Age.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Orange200 wrote:
A worrying sign of things to come?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-38235094

There was a SH post on Bolivia first closing around 10 years ago here.

Pretty much the whole planet is melting.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=30861
latest report
James the Last wrote:
I agree they grew, davidof, but I'm not sure sure that new ones formed.

On the grounds, bruisedskier, that it took the Little Ice Age to get them to grow, the corollary is that under normal circumstances they shrink - as they are an anachronism left over from the last Ice Age.

Yes, the world was 30% covered in glaciers / ice 15k years ago.

Today, it is around 10% icedup.

If current trends continue, all ice will be gone by around the year 5000.
snow report
La Paz is only 16 degrees south of the equator, I'm amazed it's had a glacier in living memory! It is about as far south as Puglia in Italy is North. More worrying to me is how the Kitzsteinhorn glacier has disappeared, although I think the rise in temperature may not be the whole story as it is only about half a degree warmer now than it was 40 years ago when I skied there in July and August.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy