Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance - who do you use?

Poster: A snowHead
Its getting near renewal time for me and just wondering who people use and recommend.

I need annual cover with about 20 days skiing, off piste without a guide and a worldwide policy. I don't bother with getting insurance with my lift pass. Have been with Dogtag for the last 4 or 5 years and their quote has just come back as £280 for their base level cover for me and the Mrs.

Do people reckon that is good? I have no idea and have been fortunate enough not to have had to use it so cant even comment on whether their service is good after an incident.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The BMC
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Austrian Alpine Club
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am a UK passport holder with a UK address but live on a sailboat in the Caribbean. I fly from a Caribbean island to the USA to go skiing every year, usually for 3 weeks.

Most of the usual companies offering travel insurance require that I start from and return to the UK. Not all make this clear, diligent study of the small print is often required to ferret this out.

One company that does offer insurance to ex pats. is HCCMIS they are considerably more expensive but do offer cover to people in my situation. They will even continue to cover me in my 70s but at a lower limit.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@TQA, You are Sir Phillip Green and I claim my £5 BHS voucher
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Like you, I want an annual two person cover, with the full suite of ski cover. I usually travel independently, I'm very unlikely to claim for missed flights, damaged kit or clothing and I don't travel with high value gadgets. In short, all I want is illness or injury cover.

For some years I've used a 'Cover-All' policy located through a Moneysupermarket search, costing around £90. Had to claim earlier this year, all costs paid without issue together with repatriation for the injured party. At renewal time I was informed the policy had been withdrawn, so back to the search engine.

There are some crazily low prices (£60 for worldwide, £30 for all except north America). Looking for a supplier I know and reading the small print to ensure I have the cover I want (essentially, like you, to be sure I'm OK off piste without a guide) points me towards Ski Club GB at just over £160. 31 day trip limit, no overall ski limit, all ski activities covered (heli, freestyle etc). I am a member, but they appear to offer on the open market for less rolling eyes

I'll keep looking, but that's a good starter. If anyone has better - let us know snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MPI
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
LV=. Unusually, they cover you for the full year with no requirement to be informed of changes in health during the year. Last year SCGB insurance suspended my cover after a change in health, paid for cancellation of the holiday they would no longer cover me for, then bumped up the premium for the rest of the year. Off-piste is covered by LV= but not heli-ski. Have car and house insurance also with LV= and they are good to deal with when you make a claim.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MPI
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dogtag annual policy here, because it has good offpiste cover and also covers for DH mtbing during the summer. May look at something like the SCGB policy this year as no plans for any mtb trips next year...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just looking at the SCGB policy and some really confusing definitions in there. For example, "ski touring" and "skiing - backcountry" are covered by the basic annual policy premium, but "ski randonee" requires an additional premium of £97 per person and "ski mountaineering" requires an additional premium of £145 per person. They are three terms that are often used interchangeably and I can't find any more detail as to how SCGB define them so have emailed for clarity.

@valdesire - heli skiing not covered by the £160 premium you note - it falls under "activity pack 3" and requires a £97pp additional premium
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://m.onlinetravelcover.com/SearchResults.aspx?mode=save&fs=1&s=1&a=243&u=kHp4G7yC3bkv5/7i0PLsXQ==&b=0&policynumber=937012&pc=YO21%203LW&customer=Gary%20Chadfield&expire=2/1/2017&customerTitle=Mr&CoverFor=1&Adults=1&Infants=0&Children=0&child1Age=0&child2Age=0&child3Age=0&child4Age=0&PolicyType=3&StartDate=02/01/2017&EndDate=02/01/2018&Age1=51&Age2=18&Area=2&golf=0&ski=1&actionSport=0&business=0&cruise=0&VoucherCode=OR234&companies=undefined&conditionsCovered=1&underwriter=&policyIDsFilter=&baggage=1&cancelation=1&id=25581&r=22&sq=172279&u=7oSIobd7gOdpFb15EvkoMQ%3d%3d
omg that was a long link to post but the premiums seem good for the cover given
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dashed wrote:
Just looking at the SCGB policy and some really confusing definitions in there. For example, "ski touring" and "skiing - backcountry" are covered by the basic annual policy premium, but "ski randonee" requires an additional premium of £97 per person and "ski mountaineering" requires an additional premium of £145 per person. They are three terms that are often used interchangeably and I can't find any more detail as to how SCGB define them so have emailed for clarity.

@valdesire - heli skiing not covered by the £160 premium you note - it falls under "activity pack 3" and requires a £97pp additional premium

Popped back to see if any other deals have appeared as it's now renewal time. Heli is within Activity Pack 1 (included), the only ski activities not so covered are freestyle, mountaineering, yawing (?), snow parks and (higher still) acrobatics, jumping, racing and stunting.

I wonder if there are more than one activity list, it really is a minefield out there.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Look at bank account included products (or bolt ons)

Mine is rolled into an account , the policy is actually with Axa , covers us both for 31 days worldwide (yes 31 days skiing per year) covers off piste without a guide and on the occasions i have claimed have been excellent in their support and backup , and pay out to my account extremely quickly

this included my wife getting chicken pox in greece (meaning no fly till a dr says so ) and without quibble they sorted us an extended stay of a week , with flights etc , also agreeing that it was cheaper to pay for 2 extra nights and fly us back on the TO charter than to taxi us to athens and fly us home scheduled.

currently have a ski claim going on from last week in Austria and so far its been excellent. (and no not accident prone the greek issue was 10 years ago and yes thats how long its been a bilt on on the account )
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If only snowheads did ski insurance....... Toofy Grin
snow report
@boredsurfin, good point, well argued.
snow report
MPI. I am in the middle of a claim (in a French hospital) and have just had a phone call (21:00 uk time) from my case handler to check that everything is running smoothly. They may not be the cheapest, but when something goes wrong, you want to know that your insurer is there to help, not quibble over a claim. Really impressed!!!
ski holidays
Dogtag here too, I thought pricey but comprehensive for the other sports I wanted covering. Worldwide, policy level "Base", sport level "Extreme Plus"... £250 ... I think what bumped it up was offshore sailboat racing, it does cover everything apart from the most suicidal sports.

It's a lot of money but when you compare it to the cost of the holidays covered .. or god forbid the cost of a med-evac ..
latest report
MPI this year due to more than 31 days skiing, LV= last year (off-piste not needed). Excellent claims experience with LV and would have stayed with them apart from number of ski days.

MPI, 2 pensioners, annual policy with pre-existing health conditions less than £210.

@rachelharrisonsmith, Good to hear of you good claims experience with MPI, sorry about your need to claim.

After last year's good experience with LV= involving an air ambulance from Geneva to Exeter costing them about £30K for the full claim I wasn't looking to save the last tenner, I just wanted good cover at a reasonable price.
ski holidays
Anyone else know of any insurers that is suitable for UK nationals residing abroad (expats). I currently live in the middle east and make an annual pilgrimage to the alps last week of Jan and always struggle to find insurance. Confused
ski holidays
harvsurrey wrote:
Look at bank account included products (or bolt ons)

Mine is rolled into an account , the policy is actually with Axa , covers us both for 31 days worldwide (yes 31 days skiing per year) covers off piste without a guide and on the occasions i have claimed have been excellent in their support and backup , and pay out to my account extremely quickly

this included my wife getting chicken pox in greece (meaning no fly till a dr says so ) and without quibble they sorted us an extended stay of a week , with flights etc , also agreeing that it was cheaper to pay for 2 extra nights and fly us back on the TO charter than to taxi us to athens and fly us home scheduled.

currently have a ski claim going on from last week in Austria and so far its been excellent. (and no not accident prone the greek issue was 10 years ago and yes thats how long its been a bilt on on the account )

I used my bank (Lloyds) policy with Axa for a claim 2 years ago. I badly broke my leg, on piste. The thing about the Axa policy is that it does NOT cover off piste without a guide.

I still have the policy running and would use it for all other holiday stuff but have an SCGB policy for skiing and, most importantly, off piste skiing.
snow report
MPI for including (lots of) racing cover for son#1 and 62 day trip limit (needed for NZ). ERV for the rest of the family as max 31 days per trip. Neither have annual day limits.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy