Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do I need to know about driving in Europe

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all--

You've been quite helpful and I appreciate your input.

The short: I'm an American flying to Munich in January and renting a car. I have no agenda at the moment and in 10 days time and could conceivably end up in Germany, Austria, Italy, and/or Switzerland. I live in Montana and an comfortable driving in snow and can (probably) operate a manual transmission. I don't speak German or Italian.

I'm concerned about keeping safety in mind and costs to a minimum. My credit card company advised me to decline collision coverage at the rental car desk but my personal drivers insurance said because I am in Europe I must get the rental car's liability coverage. Also, through this forum I found that I must get a sticker before entering Austria.

What else do I need to know about driving a rental car in Europe? Tolls? Parking? Speed traps? Odd ways of putting gas in the car?

I know that's an open-ended question but I appreciate any hints.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tailgating is the norm, traffic flow will be faster than Montana, and obviously lots more of it.

Do not break the speed limit in Switzerland.

I would get the insurance myself.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cloud cult wrote:
Also, through this forum I found that I must get a sticker before entering Austria.

You also need a sticker (Vignette) for Switzerland. Both are strictly just for using the interstate standard roads but it can be a lot of trouble to get anywhere just using back roads to avoid needing to buy one. There are no tolls in Germany, you pay for distance travelled on the Autostrada in Italy.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@cloud cult, Be prepared to be shocked by fuel prices Shocked

Be careful when filling up to make sure you don't mis-fuel Petrol/Diesel depending on your rental. Don't use your mobile/cell while filling up. Snow chains can be mandatory on some roads.

If you don't have traffic circles / roundabouts in Montana, I would check up on them first.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PowderAdict wrote:
@cloud cult, Be prepared to be shocked by fuel prices

Prices also vary a fair bit between countries. Austria is probably the cheapest, followed by Switzerland.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@cloud cult, Hi cloud cult
Unless you already have insurance that covers you for cdw then I would recommend looking for a package rental deal that includes cdw. Will it just be you driving or will there be additional drivers - they will charge extra for aditional drivers. Do you want SatNav (GPS) in the vehicle? Some upmarket models already have that fitted as standard in the price, if not the rental companies can charge quite a high daily supplement for supplying a portable GPS system. If you have your own portable GPS (with European maps obviously) or a smartphone with google maps and a suitable in-car holder that can be a lot cheaper option.
At Munich in winter you should find that all the vehicles come with winter tyres (tires Toofy Grin ) fitted.
As you've spotted, if you go into Austria then you'll need to get a vignette (sticker) if you intend using the autobahns (motorways/freeways). Fortunately they sell a 10 day duration sticker for only 8.90 Euros which you can buy at German motorway service stations shortly before the Austrian border. In addition some rental companies will make a small surcharge if you are taking the car out of Germany into Austria. However if you are going into Switzerland then you also need a motorway vignette but unlike Austria they only sell an annual one which costs 40CHF or 38.50 Euros. Evil or Very Mad

As regards putting fuel into the car, in European filling stations the fuel hose is coloured green for petrol/gasoline (which is usually available at either 95 or 98 Octane rating - all cars should run OK on 95) and black for diesel. At most filling stations it's usual to fill first and then pay at the cash desk, but you may find some which are credit card prepay only. I know in the US it's common for you to be able to move a locking lever on the nozzle so that it continues pumping until the tank is full when it automatically shuts off, I think you'll find in most if not all European filling stations that you need to manually keep squeezing the trigger in to let the fuel flow. Of course be prepared for the cost of fuel to be a lot higher than you're used to in the US! Laughing

Hope this helps
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair Pink wrote:
Of course be prepared for the cost of fuel to be a lot higher than you're used to in the US! Laughing

^^This. Probably about double, although because it's priced in litres it may not be so obvious to you.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't usually notice fuel prices because the milage is so good on those little diesels.
Don't take no ugly car, feel free to go back and request something else (but best you book direct with a major carrier like avis or hertz. You get no flexibility if they see you used a cheaper consolidator to book). Do not get an 'international driving permit' from AAA - complete waste of money if you have a US license.
Enjoy !!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Even if you buy a vignette in Austria, do not expect your journey to necessarily be entirely toll free! We were recently charged about €9 for the Brenner pass and another couple of Euros somewhere around Igls, which surprised us slightly as we had expected the cost of the vignette to cover those costs.

In Italy you are charged to use the motorway, but the cost is fairly low, it is more of a pain to keep stopping at the tolls when you never intended to get on the road in the first place Confused As an idea, 150 miles was about €16.

If the give you a Peugeot, take the keys back and ask for something with an engine wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I mostly rent in Canada, but I also rent in Munich.

They're mostly manual transmission in Europe. I decline the sat nav (extra cost) because my phone does that, although sometimes the cars have it anyway. Usually set in German, but switchable. Do not switch whilst driving as the whole dash reboots, in my experience. They will try to sell you lots of extra stuff but I decline it all. My snowboards fit in any car they hire, even the smallest. Cars are smaller here.

I usually drive to Sölden / Ishgl avoiding motorways, so don't bother with the Vignette. Watch out at the border specifically for speed traps: the Austrians like to set up right at that point.

The airport rental people (this is true in most countries) will tell you declining "excess" extra insurance means certain death. Those charges can double the rental cost and aren't needed in my opinion. They can't rent you an uninsured car, so these charges are optional. Any extra stuff they sell is mostly pure profit. I always photograph the cars on pickup and deposit and have never had an issue.

As someone said they always disable the "automatic" on petrol pumps in Europe, but then the pumps are usually quite quick and the tanks quite small.

As per North America, fill the car up on return. There's a gas station on the roads just before you get to Munich airport - it's clearly signed and easy to find (you can see it as you drive out of the airport when you arrive). You can "pre pay" for the stuff, but unless you know how to leave it empty that's a rip-off. I have hired cars in Munich and driven them all the way to Sölden and back without filling up except at that station.

German guys drive fast, but they do have speed limits, so you need to check the signs. The Austrians like speed traps, but I've never had problems with them so probably you have to be rude or unobservant to get caught. Germany and Austria seem to be mostly polite and none-competitive drivers who park legally.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am not sure what driving in Montana is like or how the filling stations operate, but as others have pointed out make sure you do not mix petrol or diesel when filling up. It is highly unlikely you will get an LPG car for hiring so do not worry about filling them up.

Many filling stations are self service and do not have attendents. Google Goggles is quite useful for interpretting the instructions and local people often will come and help. Sometimes there is a problem with the automatic chip and pin readers for international credit cards. My advice, especially in Italy is to fill up between 8:00 and 12:00 or 14:00 to 18:00 when there might be an attendent at the filling station.

At rounabouts give way to the vehicles on the roundabout. I find it helps to signal your intentions but many people never use their indicators - beware. Trams have right of way so be careful in Innsbruck or other big cities - it has caught me out in the past.

I have a seperate excess insurance policy for renting cars and always decline all other "upgrades" the hire desk tries to get me to buy. If possible get a car fuelling policy that is full to full. That is you fill the fuel tank up just before returning the car. Otherwise the hire company will try to charge you an extorinate fee for refuelling.

Some cities have restricted access and parking may also very limited. We can probably give you more advice if we know exactly where you were planning to go.

Actually there is so much information we could give we could write a book on it. So it may be worth downloading one of the guides to driving in Europe from the internet.

And enjoy your trip.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You don't need to watch out so much for bison. Euro petrol stations often don't have as much on offer in terms of 64oz slurpees or nachos n year old hotdogs . Way more traffic than Montana, probably less crystal meth or obvious gun nuts/survivalists (can't vouch for all of Austria on that count). Fewer lifted trucks to topple on you, more Mercs and BMWs being driven at speeds that don't necessarily seem appropriate for conditions.

Biggest thing is get used to tiny Euro parking spaces (often getting out of the rental car garage is an exercise in tight turning circles) & potentially parallel street parking. Keep plenty of coinage for local parking lots and heed times of operation.

PS Love Montana, I'd retire to somewhere like Red Lodge or Whitefish or Big Sky in a heartbeat if the GBPeso is worth anything by then.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 9-12-16 18:16; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wink yeah there are some werid ones in Austria. Do not be shocked by the toilet design. Oops, off topic.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@cloud cult, @Dave of the Marmottes, ....following from D.o.M ... unlike USA you can hoot at people with your horn without fear of being immediately shot by the guy in the other car. The following exchange when I was driving in Manhatten in a Isuzu 4x4 me, standing on the horn after a guy switched lanes with zero indication or awareness, ?forcing me to brake heavily, friend from NY '...ferchristsakes don't use the horn, he could have a gun....' whattttt?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A quick check of petrol (gas) prices per litre:

USA $0.65
Austria $1.20
Switzerland $1.38
Germany $1.39
Italy $1.56

So a minimum of double.
latest report
Oh yes - additional - don't use the magnetic ski racks they offer on hire - simply get a car in which you can transport skis etc inside, always brushing off excess snow. The magnetic ski holders almost always scratch the roof, leading to horrendous arguments with the hire co.
latest report
@cloud cult, Your car questions are answered above, but other things you may find useful if this is your first European trip include:

Credit cards are not universally accepted, particularly in small resorts and in mountain restaurants, where cash is king. You may also get a better price if you offer to pay cash for ski rental.

Do not under any circumstances accept a €500 or €200 note. These are not generally accepted due to the high number of forgeries.

Bed and Breakfast accommodation is of a high standard in most resorts, and can be booked through the Tourist Offices in each village. B&B's are called 'Pensions' and offer good value for money.

Apres ski in places such as the Hinterhag Alm in Saalbach or Mooserwirt in St Anton can be very alcoholic, so don't plan on being able to drive if you fall into one of these dens of iniquity Cool
snow conditions
@PowderAdict "Don't use your mobile/cell while filling up."

Why not?
snow report
@under a new name, It is banned in the UK, maybe it isn't in other European Countries.

It is probably a legacy of the early days of mobile phones with easily detachable batteries and the risk of sparking. I believe that testing has confirmed that the effect of static from getting in/out of the vehicle is much more likely to cause a spark.

Also handheld mobile phone use while driving is largely banned as well in Europe.
latest report
Sticker per country.
Cash for tolls / stickers.
Satnav.
Cell roaming.
Snowchains / snowsocks.
Insurance.
Collision insurance.
Highway robbers.
Hidden speedcams everywhere.
snow report
Quote:

Even if you buy a vignette in Austria, do not expect your journey to necessarily be entirely toll free!

Same holds true in Switzerland. The vignette covers some tunnels, but often not the expensive ones!
ski holidays
PowderAdict wrote:
@under a new name, It is banned in the UK, maybe it isn't in other European Countries.

It is probably a legacy of the early days of mobile phones with easily detachable batteries and the risk of sparking. I believe that testing has confirmed that the effect of static from getting in/out of the vehicle is much more likely to cause a spark.

Also handheld mobile phone use while driving is largely banned as well in Europe.

I was filling up the other day and using the calculator when the woman in the store shouted over the tannoy to stop. I told her that I was using the calculator and apparently that's still an issue...although when I asked how that differed to having the phone in my pocket she didn't come up with much of an answer. Seem to remember seeing on Mythbusters, Brainiac and possibly QI too that it's cowdoo, doesn't stop petrol stations from putting signs everywhere and telling their employees that it's an issue.
latest report
Couple more tips...

Check the car comes with snow tyres. I think the Germans have a 'winter tyres' law so hopefully you will have these on as standard but saves a lot of hassle. Still worth having chains as very occasionally it gets tricky enough to need those even with winter tyres.

Although you may be familiar with manual transmission, I'd personally go for an auto if you are more used to them as it's one less thing to have to cope with along with unfamiliar places, signs, regs, etc. Driving a (right hand drive) UK car most of the time I've found this more of an issue if I rent in the US or Europe, as the damned gear lever is on the wrong side. Bang door, change gear; bang door, change gear, ho hum. Much easier with an auto.
latest report
Quote:

The airport rental people (this is true in most countries) will tell you declining "excess" extra insurance means certain death. Those charges can double the rental cost and aren't needed in my opinion. They can't rent you an uninsured car,

Take care here, since the excess is what it says: they will charge a massive amount for even the slightest scratch and you are paying the excess amount (I know from bitter personal experience - have a look at http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2816223&highlight=#2816223 and the photo a few posts up)

Luckily we pay ~£40 for an annual excess insurance cover which paid the car hire charge, and is infinitely cheaper than the hire company cost at the desk.

http://www.car-hire-excess-insurance.com/how-it-works/#What-is-excess-insurance
latest report
@cloud cult, a sat nav alternative to download on your phone Here maps (Here we go) its a remnant of Nokia, download the country maps you need and you have proper sat nav and no data roaming.

Speed limits in Germany, there are unrestricted freeways, being from Montana you have some experience of that (possibly), make sure you move back out of the outside lane when ever possible, watch your speed "Here" can help as it shows you the speed limit , handy in Austria as it changes rapidly from 100kph to 60kph.

Mention to the rental company that you are driving cross border, there will be a surcharge for it

Others have mentioned the insurance and the various motorway stickers you need to purchase, we use www.icarhireinsurance.com for our excess cover.

don't fill a diesel with petrol Toofy Grin
latest report
@PowderAdict, banned by who?

@SnoodyMcFlude, it is indeed nonsense.
snow report
Quote:

Speed limits in Germany, there are unrestricted freeways

Much of the section between Munich airport and Austria is 120kph (variable limits on quite a bit round Munich). With cameras, I believe.
Expect the Austrian autobahns to be 100kph at this time of year. Definitely with cameras.

PS speed limits do not apply to Russian, Belarussian or Ukrainian registered cars.

Quote:

Mention to the rental company that you are driving cross border, there will be a surcharge for it

Depends on rental company. I've never had to pay any surcharge. Others have. Europcar don't charge for this. Definitely worth mentioning though.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 9-12-16 20:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes are you going to get some Zircon-Encrusted Tweezers?
As you start your dental floss farm.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Driving a (right hand drive) UK car most of the time I've found this more of an issue if I rent in the US or Europe, as the damned gear lever is on the wrong side

But not likely to be an issue for the OP wink

Quote:

Will there? Mention it by all means but I've never had a surcharge levied for cross-border driving (Switzerland to France, Austria and Italy; Germany to Austria and back again at various times).

@cloud cult, Have a read of this lot http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/index.html . It's mostly designed for UK drivers taking their own cars abroad but there may be some useful stuff in here.
latest report
Nah wouldn't call my kids Moon Unit either.
latest report
But wait, who was it last year said he always carries a pair of silicon kitchen tongs so its easier to reach the toll machine with your credit card? rolling eyes
snow report
And what cell carrier you use ?
I switched to t-mobile years ago when they alone stopped charging extra fees for use in europe. Which in my case includes full functioning google maps for nav.
Previously used to cost me hundreds in data fees every trip.
(Well there may have been a little social network stuff going on also).
snow report
I don't recall having to pay extra to drive from Germany to Austria. You often have to do that across the US / Canada border, but those are not in the EU.
--

Car hire companies and the "excess insurance" companies don't mention that they can't legally charge more than would stand up in court. Section 75 puts the onus on them to come after you, and they take the cost of that, so they need to be pretty sure of their ground. Example.
snow conditions
"My credit card company advised me to decline collision coverage at the rental car desk but my personal drivers insurance said because I am in Europe I must get the rental car's liability coverage."
---------------------
This bears more investigation on your part. It is fairly common in the US (I'm a yank too) for your credit card to include comprehensive insurance if you do 2 things: (1) pay the rental fee using that card, and (2) decline all coverages. There are a few countries that cards don't cover, and that varies from company to company. Ireland is normally excluded and Italy sometimes in my experience. That's because Americans frequently have claims in those countries, because the Italians can't drive, and the Irish don't have roads.

Madeye-Smiley

So, if you verify that your credit card company is going to insure you in any country in which you may drive, I would take that information back to your insurance company and ask them if that doesn't satisfy their advice that you be insured while driving in Europe, which would of course save you some money.
snow conditions
Quote:

Mention to the rental company that you are driving cross border, there will be a surcharge for it....

Will there? Mention it by all means but I've never had a surcharge levied for cross-border driving

We have... I think that the ultra-cheapo companies get their prices down by not including cross-border charges, then that bumps up the price if you do want to go over border.

It may be that the more expensive companies already have that included in the price...
snow conditions
They're all on the wrong side of the white lines! Keep yer whit's about yer
ski holidays
Just avoid Belgium at all costs. Terrifying.
snow report
@cloud cult, OK, you've got most of the info from the kind folks above. . . my 2¢ for a bit of reinforcement. I grew up in Europe and rode my bikes all over it (with the occasional excursion into the weeds), now I drive a Semi (all too frequently in Montana . . . jeeeeezzz it's cold up here right now Shocked ) so here are just a few tips that really should be considered:

1: Do NOT sit in the 'hammer lane', you overtake and get back into the RH lane as soon as safe and DON'T cut up trucks when you do. Most Europeans have very good lane discipline in comparison to US drivers.

2: Do VERY NOT, overtake on the right!!!! Only morons and "Dignitas" applicants do this.

3: Insurance; bit of a minefield here. Your US insurance for most policies will NOT give you full coverage in Europe . . . in most cases you'll have no cover at all so you are/will be needing to book insurance with the car hire . . . which CAN be booked through the US outlets like Enterprise, Hertz etc. DO take the CW (collision waver) option . . . HOWEVER!!! do all of this on a Credit Card you order specifically for the trip and that you cancel immediately on your return. It is not unknown for odd and 'interesting' charges to appear on your statement a month or two after your return and sorting out what they are and getting them cancelled is a RPiTA Evil or Very Mad Do NOT book with a Debit Card, you don't have the same protections that a Credit Card provides.

4: Treat 'traffic circles' roundabouts like intersections, on approach use the turn signal and lane for your final direction and at the exit before yours, turn signal your your next move. ALWAYS give way to traffic on the circle.

5: Google maps works fine in Europe . . . as long as your data plan doesn't bankrupt you. If you have a US GPS check that it may be upgraded with Europe maps, most can be (and if you are a little IT savvy, there are wee corners of the Net where you can do this for little expense)

6: Unless you are completely at ease with a stick shift, hire an auto. You will have more than enough new stimuli and distractions without having to cope with controlling hands, eyes, feet and bowels at the same time. Added to that, most automatics tend to be larger cars, more suitable to holding all your luggage and with more 'crumple' space if things go wrong Sad

Enjoy yer trip, john
snow conditions
Expanding on point 4 above, France still has an archaic law - give way to vehicles on your right "priorite à droite"

It is virtually obsolete, but apparently has never been repealed so essentially could still be applied!

On the majority of roads there is a yellow square with white border sign which indicates this does NOT apply, but in some villages etc if there is a black stripe through the sign it DOES apply, so even though you're on the major road you would have to allow a vehicle to join from a side road on your right!

http://www.vendee-guide.co.uk/priority-a-droite.htm
ski holidays
we have different licence categories and tests for 'stick shift' and auto. Your licence might not cover you for stick shift.

On a bright note....they all drive on the wrong side of the road......same as the Muricans wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy